LR Dealer Off-Road Course - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 14th, 2013, 10:39 AM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Mark Kellgren

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Todd Miller
Land Rover
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
This is exactly the type of uninformed comment I was hoping to avoid. Total D-Web comment.

Driver actually has 3 or 4 Ds and had a TD5 before you even knew it existed.

Of course he knew it was off-limits, that's not the point. It was just an amusing, pissed off letter.
Uninformed? Don't think so. You said it " he knew it was off limits" he did it anyway because he's a douche. He's above the law.
He has 3 or 4 Defenders? My mistake that automatically makes him an "expert" and a TD5 before I even knew they existed? So he must have had a pre production LR test mule. Since I had been driving various LR's for three years before the TD5 was introduced.
Talk about an uninformed comment.

Old July 14th, 2013, 12:21 PM
1972 SIII
I enjoy the sentiment that somehow, 15 years ago when you could buy a Defender or Discovery I brand new, things were so much different at the dealerships than today. Do you think that every Land Rover Sales Guide from 1997 was a Camel Trophy vet or direct descendant of Maurice Wilks himself? Most of them were Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW salespeople who got a job with a different brand and were told to wear goofy clothes like cargo shorts and pith helmets. Their sense of humor developed as a defense mechanism for the vehicles horrible build quality and reputation. Land Rover as a brand in the 90's was not the result of some masterfully designed vision. It was a comedy of errors that just kind of happened by accident. Not that this is a bad thing, its the kind of charm that drew many of us to the brand in the first place. But to be upset that its not the same anymore is silly. It never should have been that way in the first place... be glad you had the opportunity to experience it at all. Its like Woodstock, man.
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus
Jackie, thanks for posting what I thought was a humorus letter. It put a smile on my face .
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team
I think we are fairly lucky here in San Diego... the long-time dealer has changed owners a few times in the last few years, but the majority of the staff are the same. The sales guy that sold me my LR3 back in 2005 is still there, and it never fails that when I show up in the defender or the series the guys not with clients come out and want to talk about it. The dealer works with our local club, provides parts discounts, and sponsors events like San Diego British Car Day. They lament on how they set up wheels events up in the mountains for new owners and no one will sign up.

I got the same vibe from LR Las Vegas. When the 90 finally went down hard on the way home from Alaska, and we had to offroad through the Kia dealership next door to get it into the service area at 3 AM, only to leave a note on it and head home to San Diego, they handled it without missing a beat. When the service manager called me up the next morning to discuss what to to and I told him I was just trying to find a way to get it home, he helped me find a shipper that wasn't going to rape me, and didn't charge me a storage fee for the truck being there. In his words "we would never charge a Defender owner to have their truck here".

Time will tell on how it plays out, but I think there are more good dealers than bad.
"It doesn't swoop, curve, or look like it's going fast when it's parked. It never looks like it's going fast. It doesn't go fast." - Richard Hammond, BBC Top Gear

Old July 14th, 2013, 04:25 PM
1995 NAS Defender 90
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
They lament on how they set up wheels events up in the mountains for new owners and no one will sign up.
I know! I'd say only 5% of the customers I go on test drives with are remotely interested in our demonstration course, and there were maybe 20 customers at our last wheels event... We've put a lot of work into what we call "Land Rover Mountain" and it beats the pants off of the driving experience at the Biltmore. It's sad that there's not enough interest to get more people there.
Old July 14th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Chuck Yarbrough
01 DII
Not that it matters much but I have always been treated well at LR Richmond and Roanoke. I think anyone expecting to be treated like anything more than a customer by a dealership in these times is a bit naive. The letter is just a CYA thing, the last course I remember seeing was blocked by cars after hours on both sides. the world is a litigious place these days.

2001 DII
Defender envy.
The parts falling off this vehicle are of the finest British craftsmanship.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat