LR Clubs Using Land Rover Logos and Name - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 4th, 2014, 10:11 AM
djrover
Dave Johnson
'91 RRC

LR Clubs Using Land Rover Logos and Name

I just received a letter from Jaguar-Land Rover NA requesting that I sign a trademark agreement with them in order for our not-for-profit LR enthusiast club to continue using our club name Finger Lakes Rover Club, website and domain name erovers.com...

I know they went after every business using any iteration of the word "rover," seems like they now think it is money well-spent to broaden the net to clubs who are trying to keep the spirit of off-roading Rovers alive, despite Land Rover's own waning interest in building off-roaders for the US market. Maybe they could have directed some of their legal funds to putting air bags in the D90 or something.

Anyway...just wondering if other CLUBS have gone through this and what was the outcome? I know there are a lot of clubs out there with heavy use of LR marks in their sites, logos, etc...

Thanks!
'01 RR 4.6 HSE - Gone!
'00 Disco 2 - Gone!
'95 Disco 5-Spd - Gone!
'92 RR County SWB - Gone!
'63 2A SWB - Gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2014, 10:45 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

There are multiple meanings of the word rover.. One such meaning is the act of roving, to travel, wander aimlessly etc etc.. A savvy lawyer could say that since the club is open to other makes and not specifically land rovers that you guys get together to rove the countryside.. That would make you guys rovers..if you were using the words land rover it will be more difficult but....
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:54 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The Florida club got the same letter. At least I heard talk of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Maybe you guys just really like the blackburn rovers?
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:13 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

The Chicago Land Rover Club went through this back in July-August. Wasn't really a big deal. They aren't so much "go after" clubs as they are "trying to protect their brand". You can read into that whatever you like. In short LRNA doesn't want people profiting off the LR brand or people officially associated with the club publicly badmouthing LR. I think they even went so far as to say they do support "enthusiast groups" and were happy to work with us regarding logo usage. The CLRC submitted 2 or 3 different logos to them which we can use and resemble or blatantly use all or parts of the LR brand logos.

We chose not to fight it for a few reasons. First, the rep for LRNA readily responded to our emails and we had a good dialogue going. Secondly, the club is a small enthusiast group with not a not a lot in bank and less desire to engage in a court battle. Thirdly, I highly doubt they are really going to go after a small group of brand enthusiasts. I think the letter was just a heads up to clubs to not make money(that isn't put back into the club) off of or badmouth the brand. Not a ridiculous request, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrover View Post
I just received a letter from Jaguar-Land Rover NA requesting that I sign a trademark agreement with them in order for our not-for-profit LR enthusiast club to continue using our club name Finger Lakes Rover Club, website and domain name erovers.com...

I know they went after every business using any iteration of the word "rover," seems like they now think it is money well-spent to broaden the net to clubs who are trying to keep the spirit of off-roading Rovers alive, despite Land Rover's own waning interest in building off-roaders for the US market. Maybe they could have directed some of their legal funds to putting air bags in the D90 or something.

Anyway...just wondering if other CLUBS have gone through this and what was the outcome? I know there are a lot of clubs out there with heavy use of LR marks in their sites, logos, etc...

Thanks!
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I heard one of our local clubs got the letter. I think it's a great strategy to go after the enthusiasts who get together for the sole reason of celebrating the brand. Good luck gaining new vehicle customers with that plan
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Iamkraig
Kraig
1987 defender 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Maybe you guys just really like the blackburn rovers?
Thats my Club. Been on the picth!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rover stadium.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	106354  
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamkraig View Post
Thats my Club. Been on the picth!
Haha right on... btw talked to Shannon at ESC about your perkins 200 diesel needing some parts
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:24 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Tell me again why any of us would want to buy any of the new and completely unrelated models from these guys?

What a bunch of @$$höle$.

-Jeff
my thoughts exactly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

I've read the letter. Its not as bad as all you are thinking it is.
Again it says: Don't profit off the brand, don't publicly bash the brand. Crazy, right!??
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Like calling them a bunch of pricks for being on a witch hunt on imported trucks?

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:49 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

I went through a similar thing back in the early 2000's when I was involved in the local VW club. VW basically sent out a letter saying that we were allowed to use the "VW" brand and logo as an enthusiast club that is a not for profit entity as long as we didn't abuse the logo and made sure to add a legal line something to the effect that we were an enthusiast club and were not directly representing VW. Pretty standard fare amongst car mfg's. Making sure they protect their "brand". If they don't actively protect their brand then that leaves them open for trademark and copyright squatting..

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:02 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
I went through a similar thing back in the early 2000's when I was involved in the local VW club. VW basically sent out a letter saying that we were allowed to use the "VW" brand and logo as an enthusiast club that is a not for profit entity as long as we didn't abuse the logo and made sure to add a legal line something to the effect that we were an enthusiast club and were not directly representing VW. Pretty standard fare amongst car mfg's. Making sure they protect their "brand". If they don't actively protect their brand then that leaves them open for trademark and copyright squatting..
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Like calling them a bunch of pricks for being on a witch hunt on imported trucks?
I'm not even heading down that road, LOL.
Old November 4th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
ROAV has legal exemption to use the name and logo.
Someone thought to ask for that back in the 70's when LR left the NA market.
Robert knows.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	106366  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:04 PM
LNBright
Leslie Bright
1972 88" SIII

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
ROAV has legal exemption to use the name and logo.
Someone thought to ask for that back in the 70's when LR left the NA market.
Robert knows.

I think it was Sandy Grice that had requested and received the rights for ROAV to using "Land Rover" in North America when they pulled out after '74... and I think I've heard him mention that they didn't bother to contact ROAV when they returned in '87...
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Must be wonderful being a lawyer for LRNA. Able to churn the timesheets by writing the same letter to every single business you can think of with the name Rover in it.

Its a gold mine.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:06 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Solaros - Southern Land Rover Society requested and was granted the privilege of using the Land Rover name and logo back in 1994 when we incorporated the club. One of our members contacted LRNA and submitted a proposed copy of the Solaros logo and received approval for the design directly from Land Rover. I believe that they used very similar language back then as far as using the club to promote the brand.

Land Rover of North America has continued to support Solaros in our annual SAE event that raises funds for the Towns and Union County branch of Habitat for Humanity.

I was also involved with the LROA (Land Rover Owners Association) back in the 1970's as the Southeast Regional Coordinator. I've been driving these beasts since 1972.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:55 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I say we let Will loose on their ass..)
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:46 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

Yes, we got the letter at ROAV last week. I have heard Sandy describe this letter but her never produced it, so who knows. It looks really plain, they retain the right to pull the logo if they feel you represent it in a blah blah blah. The truth is they have more money for lawyers than all the clubs together, and they know it.askd the Ford clubs about that. Not a lot we can do unless Sandy has a letter.
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Heyitsmike
Mike
'75 Forward Control 101 (RHD)

I remember something like this happening to the "rover exchange". The rumor that I heard was that they were issued a cease and desist and shut them down. I think the site is now in some way owned by Land Rover in some way. Again, was a rumor... But they did have to shut down the site and it came back very, very different.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
land rover