Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

lousy aftermarket wheel options

what have you guys found?

using adapters to get a better selection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
what have you guys found?

using adapters to get a better selection?
I'm going to do an axle swap to get a better wheel selection...

and well better everything else too.
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

makes sence. weak link anyways. Going 5 on 5.5? what axles from where?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 12th, 2007, 08:29 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Go to the FAQ section, there are all the wheels you need available out there
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:11 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
makes sence. weak link anyways. Going 5 on 5.5? what axles from where?
It'll probably be 5 on 5 unless i do 60's which would just be crazy stupid and expensive, but fun...

I'm thinking about doing ford 9's front and rear, with arb's, we've had very good performance from the curry 9 we put in my jeep,
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

There are plenty out there. Not any more expensive really than another pattern either. Unless you are looking for a Procomp cast type cheap bling option. Then your limited.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ok, I accidently made a fool of myself (again, as usual) and posted this originally in the wrong thread. Re-posting in here.

I know that updating the whole axle is the preferred option, but would it be much of an issue to just put a different pattern into the wheel hubs. The front's have more than enough meat to them to put a second pattern, what about the rears? Couldn't the stock hubs be safely modified to for a different 5 bolt pattern? I mean, it's not the center hole that carries the weight, it's the wheel studs and nuts. A GOOD machinist should be able to do the work no problem.

Great Basin already makes upgraded axle shafts and drive flanges, I wonder if they might be able to do some HD wheel hubs that allow a different bolt pattern also. Make it a bolt-on upgrade. Though, for all I know they already offer it, but it just hasn't been put on the website since the past 2002 or so update.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Three things.

First of all, why? There are a lot of options for these vehicles!
Second, I am not 100% sure about the D90, but the majority of vehicles are hubcentric. That is to say that the weight IS actually supported by the hub and the lug nuts only serve to hold the wheel in place horizontally.
Third, I don't know about redrilling, but I have seen several ads for companies that offer wheel spacers/adapters to fit essentially any wheel to the D90, RRC and Disco I. If you are thinking about going this route I think you can find them in some of the LRL/LRE/LRW type publications.

Good Luck!
Old March 13th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I know that a lot of the trucks I've driven the weight is supported totally by the lugnuts, for my CJ the back wheels leave me no doubt about that as there is no central hub projecting into the rim, the brake drum has a flat face to it. Not sure with our trucks though, I'd have to take a look in the daylight and see what kind of hub clearance there is.

To be quite honest, I haven't looked at rim options in a couple of years, but when I did look there weren't any true beadlocks available in the right bolt pattern and only a few non-factory options were out there. I've been pretty happy with the wheels I have, so I wasn't looking too hard though.

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Ok, I accidently made a fool of myself (again, as usual) and posted this originally in the wrong thread. Re-posting in here.

I know that updating the whole axle is the preferred option, but would it be much of an issue to just put a different pattern into the wheel hubs. The front's have more than enough meat to them to put a second pattern, what about the rears? Couldn't the stock hubs be safely modified to for a different 5 bolt pattern? I mean, it's not the center hole that carries the weight, it's the wheel studs and nuts. A GOOD machinist should be able to do the work no problem.

Great Basin already makes upgraded axle shafts and drive flanges, I wonder if they might be able to do some HD wheel hubs that allow a different bolt pattern also. Make it a bolt-on upgrade. Though, for all I know they already offer it, but it just hasn't been put on the website since the past 2002 or so update.

-Hans
the first pass of upgrades on the jeep saw it getting a ford 8.8 out of an explorer that was redrilled to a 6 lug toyota pattern. this was don bc the front axle on the jeep is a dana 44 out of an 1982 wagoneer which is 6 lug and the fj40 had the same pattern, so we wanted to be able to swap wheels around.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
wheel