Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 27th, 2012, 08:44 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Lost luggage claim

Anyone have any suggestions for dealing with airlines and a lost bag claim?

Lost our bag over the holiday and the only thing they seem to be able to say is that it made it on the plane- they have some form they put a sticker on as they load each bag.

Bunch of nice things in there since we did an early Christmas with family. So irritated with them for multiple reasons. The best is the complete lack of communication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:25 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias

Lost our bag over the holiday and the only thing they seem to be able to say is that it made it on the plane- they have some form they put a sticker on as they load each bag.

Bunch of nice things in there since we did an early Christmas with family. So irritated with them for multiple reasons. The best is the complete lack of communication.
Sad to see you had this issue.

Chances are you'll never see them.

We had the same issue and ALL the "nice" things were gone from the suitcase. We at least got the suitcase back...

IMSMR We got plenty of ineptitude/attitude and $0 from them.

The funny thing is that they treated us like we lost it. No accountability on their end.

I hope you get your things back. Not a nice way of starting Christmas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:32 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post

I assume you are not dealing with Delta (They lost a bag of mine last month and the attitude was very different).

Read the passenger bill of rights for your airline and check with your homeowner policy. I know both of my policies cover my stuff no matter the location. Also if you bought the stuff on a credit card check your card policy as well. I know my Amex covers me for a period of time... Good luck.

Old November 27th, 2012, 09:41 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
About a month ago, I flew United from Los Angeles to Memphis. Somehow my bags wound up in Chicago. I called them from the airport and they had it delivered to my office the next day.

If you have any attorney friends, I would get them to write a letter.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
I have had very little success going through the 800 numbers to lost baggage service. I suggest going to the airport, dealing with baggage claims directly, and making a point that you are going to file a police report. It absolutely is a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease.

I left my iPad on a plane and the 800 number was useless but I called the airline baggage claim office relentlessly and it miraculously turned up. I have had the same experience with lost bags. Probably sitting in a corner that everyone is ignoring.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sux. Dislike flying cos of all the crap you have to go through these days.
That said I screwed up once and grabbed what I thought was my bag. Would you believe two people had identical bags on the same flight? Had to drive back to the airport and exchange.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
COphinest
Joshua Lipsey
2013 Defender 110

Also check with the credit card you used to purchase the tickets. Some, like American Express, provide travel insurance that includes lost baggage.
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
The rep doing the "search" told me to get my receipts if I can. The list of exclusions is ridiculous. I think they only cover clothing and maybe a cheap hotel toothbrush.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:00 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I have been calling the airports- both departure and arrival, to the point where I don't think they are answering my calls anymore intentionally.

The woman hates me now, maybe enough to find my bag so I go away. But could be enough to sell my bag on eBay too.

What's the benefit to a police report?
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:15 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

Have you checked to see if your homeowners insurance might cover?
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:36 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Insurance agent is on the list to call. I'm hoping Allstate will cover things like my Garmin 910xt and other items excluded from the airlines coverage. Most of the big ticket items- Patagonia ski coats, kids clothing- are new with tags and I have the receipts.

They have until Thursday to "look" for it. By look they really mean they enter some vague data in a system and hope someone cares that they have a bag in their office and bothers to check the system.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Insurance agent is on the list to call. I'm hoping Allstate will cover things like my Garmin 910xt and other items excluded from the airlines coverage. Most of the big ticket items- Patagonia ski coats, kids clothing- are new with tags and I have the receipts.

They have until Thursday to "look" for it. By look they really mean they enter some vague data in a system and hope someone cares that they have a bag in their office and bothers to check the system.

Did you buy the stuff with a platinum card. Most Platinum cards have insurance for a period of time...
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
pack a starter pistol and declare it as a firearm .... then they won't lose it!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Unfortunately, my highest level of success has been going personally to the airport and dealing with the baggage claim people in person.

First, most insurers will require you to file a police report in order to collect on the policy for lost or stolen items. Second, it will indicate that you are serious about recovering your property to the baggage claim people. Getting the airport police down there if you have truly valuable things in your luggage is a great motivator to "find" missing bags as it moves up the criminal chain from a misdemeanor to a Class IV felony if the property value is great than $1,000 (in Colorado). Airport police everywhere are starting to take theft much more seriously after major embarrassing busts at several major airports (google JFK and theft).
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
pack a starter pistol and declare it as a firearm .... then they won't lose it!
I've heard about this too.

-------

to the OP.
Good luck, I second Stormer's practice of going there in person as much as that is a huge pain and in theory should not be necessary. But I've had a few instances of this happening too, talking to them in person was always more effective.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I've heard about this too.

-------

to the OP.
Good luck, I second Stormer's practice of going there in person as much as that is a huge pain and in theory should not be necessary. But I've had a few instances of this happening too, talking to them in person was always more effective.
Yup. I always check my glock, but a lot of airlines do not let you check bullets.

Basically if you check a weapon that bag gets VIP treatment.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Yup. I always check my glock, but a lot of airlines do not let you check bullets.

Basically if you check a weapon that bag gets VIP treatment.

Wow. Never heard of that before.

I fly 4-5 times a year with a rifle. Without bullets I would not be able to hunt with what my optics are set/designed for...

Firearms do get VIP treatment. In ten years I have probably flown 40+ times with a gun. They have only delayed them twice. Each time I was taken care of (both by Delta). Either with Hotels, transportation, meals, and bonus miles. Once I was given 50k miles because a firearm was late by about 8 hours...

There are many reasons they don't like losing them..

One reason explained to me is that the third party companies that transport "lost luggage" could have "questionable" employees who are not legally allowd to be in possession of a firearm..

Last time I saw Delta screw up was about a month ago. The attendant spilled a drink on a guys laptop (apple) and he was fine with it because he had a back up done within the past couple hours. Before the plane took off a red coat (Delta Customer Service) was on the plane and got the specs on the laptop and discussed the guys schedule.

Prior to landing the attendant told the guy the following:

We have issued you 100k miles into your Delta account. There is a car waiting for you at JFK to take you to the Apple store in NYC to replace it. Please charge on your Amex a new laptop with comparable specs have the data moved. Call this number and a Check will be issued within 24 hours... The car will then take you to where you need to go.

Back to the issue at hand. I know my homeowners/credit cards/and additional riders would cover this. If it happened on Delta they would have done a lot more.
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Perhaps I should not have said "a lot" as it only happened to me once. No big deal throwing out a few rounds of 9mm.
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Perhaps I should not have said "a lot" as it only happened to me once. No big deal throwing out a few rounds of 9mm.

I have been asked to put the ammo in a seperate bag... Now the airlines don't even open the bags for the most part. This season it was never opened (at EWR, Jackson Hole, ABQ, etc..)

They have a new scanner that can see if a bullet is in the gun. As explained by TSA.

I won't use TSA locks. I usually have to wait about 10 minutes after the gopher takes the gun to TSA and tells me to go ahead through security (because I have the key's).
Old November 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij

That may have been it as the separate bag and I was only checking one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat