Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Lost brakes!!!

A week ago I was driving down a long windy road from the Bristle Cone Pines in the White Mountains of California. Now my 130 is a heavy truck and I felt I was driving it cautiously using lots of engine braking and just tapping the brakes a bit entering corners if needed. As the canyon opened up to a view of Big Pine below in the Owens Valley my 8 year old son told us he needed to puke in no uncertain terms. I slammed on brakes to make the first available turnout and let him do his thing. After a few minutes we were on our way again down the road. At this point the air temp was easily into the 100's and the road still pretty windy. Approaching a pretty sharp turn I applied pressure to the brake and my foot went all the way to the floor with no resistance I pumped it a few times and still nothing. I made a quick shift from 4th to second screeching the tires in the process and made the turn. I pumped the brakes several times until I felt a bit of braking and found a turn out that had a slight uphill run and coasted to a stop. I checked the brake fluid, it looked almost muddy and topped it off with the stuff I had in my kit.

After getting home I remembered that I had ordered two cans of blue racing brake fluid that JSQ had used and recommended. I flushed and replaced the fluid, watching the dirty fluid flow out through clear hose I was using being replaced by a clear blue fluid that looks like some kind of Gatoraid drink. After purging the system of all filth and air my brakes feel new and robust, a feeling I had never felt with my brakes in several years. I just assumed a big heavy truck was just tough to stop and I drove accordingly. It feels good to have a new truck again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

Good on you. Glad you were able to control the truck. Gotta love that feeling of satisfaction when you work on the truck and get quantifiable results. Mark
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:01 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymoe
A week ago I was driving down a long windy road from the Bristle Cone Pines in the White Mountains of California. Now my 130 is a heavy truck and I felt I was driving it cautiously using lots of engine braking and just tapping the brakes a bit entering corners if needed. As the canyon opened up to a view of Big Pine below in the Owens Valley my 8 year old son told us he needed to puke in no uncertain terms. I slammed on brakes to make the first available turnout and let him do his thing. After a few minutes we were on our way again down the road. At this point the air temp was easily into the 100's and the road still pretty windy. Approaching a pretty sharp turn I applied pressure to the brake and my foot went all the way to the floor with no resistance I pumped it a few times and still nothing. I made a quick shift from 4th to second screeching the tires in the process and made the turn. I pumped the brakes several times until I felt a bit of braking and found a turn out that had a slight uphill run and coasted to a stop. I checked the brake fluid, it looked almost muddy and topped it off with the stuff I had in my kit.

After getting home I remembered that I had ordered two cans of blue racing brake fluid that JSQ had used and recommended. I flushed and replaced the fluid, watching the dirty fluid flow out through clear hose I was using being replaced by a clear blue fluid that looks like some kind of Gatoraid drink. After purging the system of all filth and air my brakes feel new and robust, a feeling I had never felt with my brakes in several years. I just assumed a big heavy truck was just tough to stop and I drove accordingly. It feels good to have a new truck again.
Scary, good thing it was stick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
good job. did you do any brake work recently or was it just the fluid. sounded like air in the line at first. thank god nothing bad happened. was he able to puke outside the truck?
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:43 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover
good job. did you do any brake work recently or was it just the fluid. sounded like air in the line at first. thank god nothing bad happened. was he able to puke outside the truck?
Quote:
I slammed on brakes to make the first available turnout and let him do his thing.
so yes
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:47 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover
The brakes had a combo of air and dirty old fluid in the system. Lots of bubble out of one of the cylinders.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Sounds like maybe the old fluid boiled during hard braking.

Since I just did brakes I asked a service tech about the importance of flushing the old fluid. According to him, fwiw, brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Given enough time the amount of moisture can cause the fluid to boil under sustained, hard braking. Exactly what you desribe coming down out of the mountains. If the fluid boiled and created bubbles you would have lost enough pressure to create the situation you describe.

Didn't know that could actually happen. Glad you didn't get puke in your truck and more importantly have a really horrific wreck.

Important safety tip noted!
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Monkeyboy

Glad it all worked out okay!

What's the brand of blue stuff?

I used to use some blue hydraulic fluid in the Duc, but I'll be darned if I remember the brand????
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyboy
Glad it all worked out okay!

What's the brand of blue stuff?

I used to use some blue hydraulic fluid in the Duc, but I'll be darned if I remember the brand????

Keith,

This is the stuff I replaced the fluid with. Heading back up to the same place tomorrow so I'll see how it works under similar conditions.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/acces...tail.jsp?ID=21

Kevin
Old September 11th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Monkeyboy

Aha! That's the stuff, eh?

I'll look forward to your report...just don't repeat the pedal on the floor bit, ok

Oh, and Motul was the blue stuff that I used in the Duc...like that matters.

Be aware that at least the Motul in the Ducati did stain the plastic resevoirs. Made it more difficult to visually check levels / condition.

Thanks,

KAA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
brake