Losing another Defender man. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 23rd, 2016, 10:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Losing another Defender man.

We lost another local Defender legend yesterday.

Dennis White passed following many years of suffering with Primary Progressive aphasia. In the last few years he had sold his 90 and 110. Both have gone to good homes.
There was nothing Dennis didn't do at 100% including helping and giving to others.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...hite-2458.html

A documentary on Dennis and his plans for the afterlife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:14 PM
sirjond
Jonny
1995 D90 ST Alpine White

This is absolutely amazing and incredibly moving - thank you for sharing. My thoughts are prayers go out to the family.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:19 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

As said before, we need a memorial section... A place to remember our friends.

GodSpeed... See you on the other side, in the Rover Graveyard, where we can work on them for eternity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
vtlandrover
Frank
1994 NAS Defender 90

Looking forward to digging through my Bay State Rover newsletters and piles of rally pix for more memories. That video sure inspires me to get off my ass - leave my desk for the weekend - and go live life.

Enjoy your time in Maine, Dennis. "IMAGINE!"
Old September 23rd, 2016, 04:51 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

His family, the warmest happiest strongest best bonded family you could ever imagine posted this to Dennis's FB page:

Dennis White passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family on the afternoon of September 22nd, 2016. His death was preceded by a prolonged battle with primary progressive aphasia, a form of frontotemporal degeneration.

Beloved husband of Maura (Marshall) White. Devoted father of Vanessa M. White, her husband John Wentworth of Somerville, Marshall W. White, his wife Tracey of Woburn and Madison G. White of Woburn. Dear biological son of Barbara Grieve of NJ, adopted son of the late Walter P and Ruth (Farr) White. Brother of Sharon Scarvarlas of Woburn, Samuel "Ted" Knighton of VA, John Knighton, his wife Deborah of NJ, Barbara Robertson of NJ. Cherished "Grumpa" of Sadie, Arlo and Scout. Also lovingly survived by many nieces, nephews, brother and sister in laws, and friends.

Dennis will always be remembered as an outstanding member of the community, who was always ready to help anyone in need, and to support many causes that were near and dear to his heart, including the D.A.R.E. haunted house, Wyman School playground and Woburn Boys and Girls Club Teen Center, as well as several school plays, Halloween parade floats and countless acts of kindness which made a lasting impact on anyone he met.

When diagnosed, Dennis had written a few remarks to be shared upon his passing, and they appear below…

I will miss breakfast at Cousins, date nights with my lovely wife Maura, and the political satire of the Daily Show. I will not miss rampant consumerism, corrupt government officials selling our democracy to the highest bidder, racism, homophobia or the endless wars. I am most thankful for the love and support of my family and friends including my team at MGH who helped and supported my family in my battle with FTD. As well as the folks at Coieo and Jean Cantillon, who helped me with the challenges in my desire for a green burial.

I always tried to see the best in people and help wherever I could.

I’ll leave you with two quotes, the first by Neal deGrasse Tyson, “I would request that my body in death be buried not cremated, so that the energy content contained within it gets returned to the earth, so that flora and fauna can dine upon it, just as I have dined upon flora and fauna during my lifetime.” And the second by Robin Williams, “The tragedy of life is not death but what dies inside us while will live.”

What a long strange trip it’s been….

To honor Dennis’ wishes, interment will be private. The family would like to invite anyone wishing to celebrate the life of Dennis White to please join them at the Woburn Country Club on Thursday, September 29th from 5:00 pm -9:00 pm.

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to either the FTD unit at Mass General Hospital or the Service Dog Project, both of which were a big part of Dennis’ journey with PPA.

Donations to MGH can be made at https://giving.massgeneral.org/donate/

Donations to the Service Dog Project can be made at http://www.servicedogproject.org/ind...to-help/donate
Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:03 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Sounds like he lived well, was well loved, and will be well missed. All the best to the family.

Godspeed and don't forget your spanners.
Old September 23rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
Matt_110
Matt

Beautiful video and story. Thank you for sharing. IMAGINE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender