Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 25th, 2011, 10:12 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Looking for some advise for welding

So I have a sankey trailer that I want to make a little more custom for my needs - I want to add a rack to put a roof top tent on and make some fender gas tank holders etc

I have looked into local fabrication shops and gotten quote from 1000-2000 for the work

I dont want to spend that much and wonder if anyone in the la/oc area either knows a good welder/fabricator that doesn't charge a ton

or 2 I should try doing it my self?

worst I do is make something terrible and cut it off and try again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3 View Post
So I have a sankey trailer that I want to make a little more custom for my needs - I want to add a rack to put a roof top tent on and make some fender gas tank holders etc

I have looked into local fabrication shops and gotten quote from 1000-2000 for the work

I dont want to spend that much and wonder if anyone in the la/oc area either knows a good welder/fabricator that doesn't charge a ton

or 2 I should try doing it my self?

worst I do is make something terrible and cut it off and try again
Buy a good welder. You can use it for the rest of your life if you take care of it. You can do everything you want yourself with just the welder, an angle grinder, and patience. If you can avoid having someone do fab work for you, do it. I am sure there are some awesome ones out there, but my experience has ranged from horrible to mediocre.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:41 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
thats the feeling i got from this guy was why would I hand over all that cash for something i could and should do myself -

whats a good welder?

thanks

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2011 09:09 PM ------

something like this?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/2175011473.html

what sort of power do these use? standard 110? or will I need a electrician to come out to my house?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thats a great one. I highly recommend the Hobart Handler 187. It's a miller but you can get them on sale as low as $600 new. Buy a 220V unit. It is worth it. The 110's will leave you bummed you didn't get more. Don't forget the gas as well. That is an expense.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yep, go 220v with gas. It's a lifetime investment. There are tons of videos online on how to weld and it's pretty easy to pick up once you learn the fundamentals.

Semper Fi!
Old January 26th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Gardner
Gardner Congdon
'84 RHD D90 300Tdi

welding

Just thought I'd chime in as I went through a similar decision recently. I had some broken door frame to deal with and figured it was a great excuse to teach myself some TIG welding (I'm particularly interested in TIG- I realize MIG would have worked and probably been a bit easier). Was able to rent a TIG unit and bottle from Central Welding Supply for about what I would have expected to pay someone to do it for me. After a couple of hours I started to get the hang of it. The steel I was welding was pretty thin and not the best stuff to learn on. But it is tacked together reasonably well. Probably not as well as if someone else had done it, but I got a chance to learn.

Next project I will seriously consider buying a MIG setup. For what I spent on the rental I'd have been a percentage into a buy and would have the opportunity to use it, improve, etc.

-Gardner

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat