Looking for help to breath when wrenching - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 28th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Looking for help to breath when wrenching

As many of you know, I got West Nile Virus this year and it changed many things about my life. I'm not complaining--I've learned so many things about myself and life and I believe I am a better person and friend. It did take away a ton of my muscle mass and it killed the nerves that fire my diaphragm, so my breathing is not what it once was. It left me with an inability to do fun stuff like climb/bike/ski/hike and all those fun things and I have to sleep with a breathing machine on--I can't lie down and breath without effort and I can't do any physical exertion when laying down in particular.

Which means wrenching on my trucks, another of my hobbies, is really difficult. And working under them isn't in the cards right now. I plan to change that and reclaim a little more of the life I love. Since my breathing machine inside is rather expensive (I rent it at $210/month or I can buy it for about $4K) I am just not comfortable bringing it outside--plus it will invariably get dirty. I know that tons of people out there have used or have a parent that used a bipap or cpap machine, particularly for sleep apnea, and maybe they don't need/want it any more or could let it go cheap. No questions asked. I figure I can adapt a long breathing hose to it and use it for when I slide under the truck--it doesn't need the reliability that my home machine has, I just need a little more air in my lungs when I lie down. I'm gonna try and check around some sleep apnea forums as well.

Just a stab in the dark here--worth a try :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Chris Happy Thanksgiving. It may sound a little strange but try craigslist. All of the contact parts can and should be replaced regularly so germs shouldn't worry you.
If I still lived in Colorado I would come and help you do some wrenching.
Good luck with your search.
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Just saw this on Craigslist http://valdosta.craigslist.org/hab/4214996375.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2013, 11:41 AM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

My dad's businesses deals with sleep apnea devices and cpaps. I'll have him look into something.
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Sounds like your machine needs a snorkel to get to you!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Those things are awful. You need a portable concentrator. Sarah works at Hospice, so she knows all the cool stuff.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 28th, 2013, 05:46 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I don't know the first thing about this stuff but would a bottle of oxygen and a nose tube do the trick? I figure you shouldn't burn up too much oxygen with limited time on your back.
Old November 28th, 2013, 06:35 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Yeah I agree. A small concentrator would be perfect for you and you can run 30-40 feet of tubing no prob with a nasal cannula that you would never know is there
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I may have a used CPAP somewhere for you...
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys--and thanks very much to Zach and Charles for looking around. I'm really thankful for all the help. The concentrator is a good idea--it might help, but one of the main problems I have when lying down is the ability to breath in general and the shallowness of the breaths I am able to take. Without the diaphragm I have trouble fighting the gravity pressing down on my lungs/chest, which is I was thinking the bipap/cpap. I will experiment a little this weekend and see if I think I can get enough breath while lying on my back that a concentrator would help. The machine would do the inflating for me, which is why it is so helpful but I agree a small concentrator would be more convenient.
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:40 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
A 2 post lift is cheaper than a concentrator or a bipap. Then you don't have to lay down.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Chris, I am so sorry to hear what happened but glad to hear you are still with us. If there is anything I can do just let me know.

The lift would be nice but if he is still in the same house I am guessing that he does not have the ceiling height for it. I worked at a shop one time that had lifts outside so maybe that would work in your side yard or back yard?

Remember you have a great network of friends and family, you have been a long time member of the Solihull society and an awesome trail leader for our events. I am sure if you need a hand with anything you will have a line of people waiting to help!
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Wow, this sounds awful.

Chris, what's the elevation where you live?
Is a move closer to sea level possible?

Seems like that would certainly help somewhat.

Good luck!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:26 PM
jabber
m j

Chris, we met up at Asher Brewery in Gunbarrel a while back. I'd be happy to help you out. If you'd like, PM me and we can get something on the books.

I truly understand what a pita neurological issues are... I have my own and it's interfered with a lot. As Dave said... Leverage the club! When I had my Series IIA, I had a fix the axle day and a number of club members came by to help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat