Looking for help--am I being scammed? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 11th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Looking for help--am I being scammed?

I don't know if this goes in Misc or here, but since it is rover related and I do need help, I thought I would post it here (for both help and warnings since he contacted me through a rover board). I am selling a single blade D90/series galvanized bumper for $75 to this guy with a UK yahoo e-mail address. Here is the email below--it seems like a TOTAL SCAM and I am not about to do it. But who do I report this too? Thanks!

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your recent mail.The price is okay by me, and i am ready to purchase it immediately,but concerning the shipping,like i told you that my shipping agent will take care of that. So please if this is okay by you provide me with your contact address and phone number where the payment will be sent to.

So that i will contact my client immediately that owes me $2,500, and i will instruct him to pay you on my behalf ok,and as soon as the payment get to you i would like you to cash it immediately and deduct your money,and send the remaining balance to my shipping agent so that he can be able to pay and make an arrangement for the pick-up ok.And as soon as you provide me with your contact address payment will be made out to you immediately.Hope to see your urgent reply soonest.

My best regards to your family

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2005, 07:55 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I don't know if this goes in Misc or here, but since it is rover related and I do need help, I thought I would post it here (for both help and warnings since he contacted me through a rover board). I am selling a single blade D90/series galvanized bumper for $75 to this guy with a UK yahoo e-mail address. Here is the email below--it seems like a TOTAL SCAM and I am not about to do it. But who do I report this too? Thanks!

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your recent mail.The price is okay by me, and i am ready to purchase it immediately,but concerning the shipping,like i told you that my shipping agent will take care of that. So please if this is okay by you provide me with your contact address and phone number where the payment will be sent to.

So that i will contact my client immediately that owes me $2,500, and i will instruct him to pay you on my behalf ok,and as soon as the payment get to you i would like you to cash it immediately and deduct your money,and send the remaining balance to my shipping agent so that he can be able to pay and make an arrangement for the pick-up ok.And as soon as you provide me with your contact address payment will be made out to you immediately.Hope to see your urgent reply soonest.

James
Yep, it's a scam....
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would walk away quickly!

Check this out

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/spam-27.html

from here

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/spam/#other
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 11th, 2005, 09:03 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Of course it's a scam! First of all, if this guy's in the UK why would he pay you $75 plus shipping for a D90 bumper? I'm sure that's as cheap as water over there.

Reminds me of a cashier's check I received once from a guy in Nigeria. Product to be sold was $10K and he sent a check for $15k. Of course I was to send back the difference, blah, blah, blah...

I played along with him and told him I shipped the product with the check inside. He said he never got it. I told him I had the shipment insured so I didn't lose out but I would refund his money by sending a check to the local US Embassy and he could pick it up there.

Well, once he heard that he started with the excuses and pleas to bypass the Embassy. It was good fun for about a month and then I cut it off. Sent him a copy of his original check stamped as fraudulent by the bank.
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:38 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

[QUOTE=Mike Hippert]I would walk away quickly!

i'd run.

this is a classic scam that i've seen on eBay many times...

and to Arthur's point, why would a brit buy common rover gear from the states???
Old September 12th, 2005, 02:41 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis

Dear Chris,

James
Scam city! I got hit twice in the same day via an LRX posting. The emails were so similar it was unbelievable.

DJ
Old September 12th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Ray Bone
Ray Bone
defender.

bumper

is the bumper still avaliabe? I am interesting!
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM
zed111
Zed
1994/Defender 90

It is definitely spam, I work for an anti spam company and this is becoming more common. They attempt to get you to deposit the check and pay them the overage. By the time the bank waits for the check to clear and you have sent them the difference the check bounces and you are out the merchandise and the difference.

If you have an anti-virus or anti-spam program you can report it to the manufacturer, check on their web site.
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks. I told him to just have his associate wire the money into my pay pal account (which they obviously won't do). I will then bug him for the next 2 months that I have not received the money yet, just a reminder, and do that twice a day.

Ray, I pm'ed you.
Old September 13th, 2005, 08:49 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

I had a very similar thing happen when I listed one of my Defenders on eBay...he will send you a bogus cashiers cheque and ask you to wire him the difference from your account. This was once reserved for higher ticket items (cars, motorcycles, and boats) but buyers have become a little more savvy to it.

Tell him to kind go f*ck himself and inform him that you have forwarded your correspondence to the FBI
Old September 14th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Those people try to make money on the fact that sometimes we wait a while to cash a check. What is the longest period of time you had a check in your wallet and considered it good?

Now figure most, 99% people know that it is a scam. But how many fake checks can this guy send out for very little money...

Laws of probability taken into account... He is going to find a moron sooner or later.

Report him to the police in the UK and the FBI. Maybe you will save the .01% of people who would fall for this.

Follow-up Post:

Better yet...

Play dumb and try to get more of his info before you tell him to go screw!
Tell him that you trust him and want to send him the bumper before you cash the check.
Spell a few words wrong in the contextual sense. Tell him that your address is in a "Group home"...
He might bite.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

get even... p-p-p-powerbook
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:43 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Actually yeah, should be in the MISC section.. moved now.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

i just spent the last 20 min reading p-p-p-powerbook - definitely a worthy read!

scam the scammer is definitely the way to go!
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

send him a used boat bumper with a spool of twine and a paper clip for a winch!
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

Hey read, thanks for the link. That was so funny!
I once saw a 03' RR for sale for like 30K, I inquired about it and the seller had the same song and dance about using his escrow account. I latter saw the same photos of the truck for sale under a different user name and location, posted next to the original ad. They were too stupid to take down the first ad before posting a second, what an ass.
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

And also to sell it for such a cheap price...
Why not ask a normal cheap price... not 1/2 of wholesale.

Probably because they are only targeting real morons.
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:01 PM
snosrfr
Chuck
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by read
send him a used boat bumper with a spool of twine and a paper clip for a winch!

Old September 14th, 2005, 04:12 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Does anyone remember a few years ago the "company" that was selling slightly used 110's from there safari fleet? They said they liked to update there vehicles every year. The pictures on there sight showed beutiful 110's with various backgrounds. But if you looked close it was pictures of just two 110's with photoshoped backgrouds. They would ship them by air to LAX for something like $20k or less. I think I remember a few guys being taken by these jerks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat