Looking for D90 - newbie questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:22 PM
txhorns
KG
none

Looking for D90 - newbie questions

Hi, I'm just starting to look at some D90's and have a few questions that I haven't been able to nail down yet. I know the NAS ones have a V8 and are rather pricey. I've seen some mid-80's euro ones that have 200 and 300 tdi's - what are the pros and cons to going this route?

Also, I've never driven a RHD vehicle - how different/hard is it, or do you get used to it pretty quick? I know you have to drive one to really know, but I'll probably have to travel to find one anywhere, so just trying to get some views.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2016, 11:48 PM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

Hi Kevin and welcome.
As for the V8 vs Diesel options, I suggest reading the forum as there is a lot of info here.

I drove my first RHD vehicle just today which had a 300tdi.
I have owned (2) NAS d90s previously. 1 was a 97 w the 4speed automatic and most recently I had the 95 w a R380 manual. I preferred the manual honestly and liked having the extra gear but also I enjoyed driving it more. The V8 motor was fine but I had always wanted to drive a diesel.....

I found RHD to be pretty easy to drive. The Rover had an R380 so it was exactly what I was used to in my 95 but I was shifting with my left hand. I first had a tendency to ride the middle line more,and had to adjust but after a while it felt fine. Putting my right elbow on the window was a weird feeling and I would also need to work on where my eyes were focusing. I found myself looking out the right window at homes and cars parked on the street vs focusing on cars passing me on the left. Again just something I would need to adjust and work on.

The 300tdi wasn't as quick from a stop but once it got going it felt more or less like the other Defenders I have owned/driven. Very agricultural

Good luck in your search.
Prices for all NAS are through the roof.
Hoping more quality ROW models arrive
Old March 9th, 2016, 05:32 AM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Hi Kevin. I just finished a year long search for a V8 LHD 90. A lot depends on the budget. North of $35g your in NAS territory. Lots of ROW LHDs can be found in the $20s, you just have to be patient for the right one...engine, trans combo that your looking for. PM me if you want, I have lots of info I can pass along about my search and I can definitely point you toward some great sellers here in the states.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2016, 05:47 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Very cool that you are not ruling out the RHD off the bat. I've always liked the unique experience you get out it. It takes a little more thinking than usual but didn't take long to get comfortable.

IMO the NAS V8 and TDI both have their strengths and weaknesses and you can't really be wrong with either choice as long as you do your due diligence and have realistic expectations. Both are old tech and require some learning and hand holding but hopefully that's what is attracting you to the flame. If not, then just think about it and make sure you want to be tethered to a vehicle that cries for attention every now and again in return for a different driving experience than you get elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Matt_110
Matt

I actually prefer RHD. Having been stationed in Japan and England, it's an easy switch for me from my other cars. Plus it adds to the uniqueness...and maybe thwarts any thievery. Good luck in your hunt!
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:24 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Just make sure you evaluate your needs in the truck, the 90's definitely get packed/filled up fast so if you need to haul stuff just remember that, they do work well on tight trails and in cities though.

The 110's have much more space, but cost more money to buy generally.

RHD vs LHD, I have had no issues adjusting (done about 6k miles so far in RHD since December), I like it, but then again I can adapt to drive pretty much anything. I wouldn't say I prefer LHD or RHD, but so long as my mirrors function effectively I am good to go.

Just remember the RHD will be cheaper to buy, and it wont be worth as much as LHD in this country when you go to sell it.
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:36 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Ha! Here's a curveball. The RHD 2 door Range Rovers are going for insane money in the UK. Maybe solid original RHD ROWs will be back in demand one day in the UK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:45 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhorns View Post
Hi, I'm just starting to look at some D90's and have a few questions that I haven't been able to nail down yet. I know the NAS ones have a V8 and are rather pricey. I've seen some mid-80's euro ones that have 200 and 300 tdi's - what are the pros and cons to going this route?

Also, I've never driven a RHD vehicle - how different/hard is it, or do you get used to it pretty quick? I know you have to drive one to really know, but I'll probably have to travel to find one anywhere, so just trying to get some views.

Thanks.

I have not driven a manual transmission in years. I just drove a RHD manual for the first time about a year ago and it didn't phase me at all. I was shocked at how east it was.

I do think it would get old, for me anyway, but my wife is probably going to drive it as much as I would so we are focused more on LHD's at the moment. Of course that could change if we buy more than 1.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old March 9th, 2016, 10:01 AM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by txhorns View Post

Thanks.

Keep asking questions and read as much as you can on here. There is a lot to learn and there's tons of information here.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:36 AM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Welcome, you will find all your answers here on D90 Source. Search is your friend. I have spent hours reading these forums.
Gas vs Diesel is a personal choice. Gas is faster, diesel gets better mpg. I like diesel.

Rhd vs LHD I like rhd. The only draw back is drive thrus. I have short arms.
Rover ownership is not for everyone. You should have skills when it comes to fixing it, or have a close friend that does.

With all that, I would not driver anything else. But I do own 2 other cars that I drive when the 90 is in the shop.
Old March 9th, 2016, 11:45 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I love my RHD.

My first drive in Janey was with a RHD 4-speed V8 on a narrow 2 lane road. I was afraid of hitting everything and drove very slowly I think cgalpin thought I was nuts

But after having owned my RHD truck for years, I really love it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90