Looking for an LR3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old August 14th, 2016, 10:04 AM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Online
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,588
Registry
Looking for an LR3

My 04 Disco is finally starting to die at 160k.

I'm looking for a LR3 to replace it and have a couple questionss.

Budget wise I need to stay under 10k.

It is possible to get a good reliable LR3 06-08 in that range?

How do the LR3's handle higher mileage?

Any year I should look for or package?

Does any one have an LR3 they want to trade in mytowards a Defender as I could make that work.

------ Follow up post added August 14th, 2016 11:04 AM ------

Thanks for the help guys!
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old August 14th, 2016, 01:28 PM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 5,671
Registry
I hear nothing but overall positives re the 3. There are a small handful of weird little things like the ebrake, rear door linkage, water leaks around the wind screen and the thingy behind the air bag that goes bad. There is a local indie shop that swears the drivetrain is solid and sees exemplar with greater than 200k fairly often.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old August 14th, 2016, 02:28 PM
LuisC's Avatar
LuisC
Status: Offline
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Austin,Texas USA
Posts: 1,898
Registry
I know several who have had to replace the front diff.
But the I've also gone through three front diffs in my P38.
__________________
Black Rhino Lives Matter
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old August 14th, 2016, 02:32 PM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Online
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,588
Registry
Any year where the front difs where more of a problem?
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old August 14th, 2016, 02:40 PM
Ray_G's Avatar
Ray_G
Status: Offline
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,585
Registry
I've been very happy with mine, found it to be a tremendous vehicle for the money and thus far seems to be realizing the characterization that it is light years beyond the previous generation in terms of reliability of the drivetrain.

I have yet to actually meet someone who has had the dif issue, though one hears about it often on the internet. It is unclear what happens more often; Dii's lose their head gaskets, Defender's have a rear crossmember self destruct, their oil lines catch on fire, or a P38 just dies b/c it's a P38-but anecdotally I'd say that all of those other things happen far more often than the serious drivetrain issues with the LR3.

EPB can be a pain as Clay alluded to.
Change your fluids, even though they are for the 'lifetime' (particularly the transmission, transfer case, and dif fluids)

They eat tires, brakes, and bushings on the control arms-those are essentially consumeables after a certain amount of miles (~30k-60k?)

As they hit 100k or 10 years more and more seem to be having compressor issues which is understandable given the nature of the air suspension; AMK upgrade isn't that expensive and will give it another 100k.

I would say the miles aren't as important as the maintenance history.

In terms of trim/models, much of that is what you want out of the truck. I'd highly suggest the HID package, I'd also suggest the HSE or LUX mostly for the ICE aspects that are a PITA or $$$ to retrofit (i.e. bluetooth, ipod interface, etc). Cold Wx package is very nice for heat warmers in both front and middle seats. I have a 7 seater and its nice to have the room in the back but that's a facet of intended use.

If you don't intend to wheel it hard there is no need to needle in the haystack the HD model; good tires and the computers will more than carry the day for the average driver doing most things you'd want to do in something this heavy. I look at mine as an all-weather people carrier that is prepared to do things but isn't intended for heavy wheeling-if I want to do that the D1 is a far better field serviceable, lighter, and cheaper alternative. Not that the LR3 can't wheel its ass off-b/c it can; as good as any of the previous generations pound for pound in many cases much to the chagrin of many at times.

Expedition Portal's Land Rover forum has a fairly high amount of LR3/LR4 content, you may want to peruse there too.
r-
Ray
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old August 14th, 2016, 02:59 PM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Online
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,588
Registry
Thanks guys. No real wheeling as I have the 110 and series for that. Will be doing some towing of the rovers.

Thanks for all the help. If any one has a good lead on one under 10k please let me know.
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old August 14th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Grover's Avatar
Grover
Status: Offline
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,800
Registry
The coolant bleed t-piece is known to fail. Replace it with a 3/8" brass barb fitting and never worry about it again.
The air suspension can leak and compressors can go bad. Solid drive train.
I Replace my diff/trans/tcase fluid every 2 years/40k miles
I love my d3!
__________________
LR3 sidesteps with rocker panels for sale $400


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old August 14th, 2016, 03:12 PM
roverman2010's Avatar
roverman2010
Status: Offline
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston Island, NearTexas
Posts: 2,185
Registry
Have been more than happy with our 05 HSE, just changed the rad as it has started to drip from the top hose inlet, if you have not had the top hose off I would advise you pull it off and check the condition of the plastic inlet, mine looked like soft cardboard and bits crumbled off it.

New hoses as belts at 90k

Got to rebuild the front suspension as its starting to get lumpy under heavy braking and big bumps. Anybody here used polybushes yet? Seem to be the choice in the old country.

On the diff I understand that when you change fluids watch out for paint flakes, as the coating peels off?

This will be for sale in a couple of years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160603_100948.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	155662  
__________________
Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old August 14th, 2016, 04:40 PM
scrubs
Status: Offline
henery
1974
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: midwest,USA
Posts: 558
Following, Thinking on one myself,
Craigslist has had some that have stood out.
Still reading up tho, biggest draw back for myself pulling the trigger is the mpg's
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Paul K's Avatar
Paul K
Status: Offline
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: La Grande, Oregon
Posts: 1,602
Registry
Get an '08 or newer. How far are you willing to travel?
__________________
Current fleet: '85 Ninety 3.9 V8i Auto SW, two '95 Discoverys (one for my Nephew, one for my Niece),'07 BMW 335Xi.
Past Land Rovers: '96 Discovery SD, '00 Range Rover HSE, '04 Discovery SE7, '07 Range Rover HSE, '08 LR3 SE7.
Past fleet: '89 Classic Mini, '83 Porsche 911 SC Coupe, '89 911 Carrera targa, '96 911 Carrera 4, '07 Toyota FJ Cruiser, several Minis.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old August 14th, 2016, 07:44 PM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Online
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,588
Registry
Cross country if needed. Would love an 08. Can flex a little bit on budget but from what I saw I don't think I can afford one.
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old August 14th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Ray_G's Avatar
Ray_G
Status: Offline
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,585
Registry
For the sake of the discussion, what's the 08 or higher rationale? I've seen very little marked difference year to year in my research and in building my (06) out. There is the anecdotal 'the bugs were worked out' but that doesn't necessarily seem to bear itself out in substance.

There is some instrument panel changes...of course all of that can be sorted immediately with an IID tool which is a must have for an LR3 owner. (along with a spare brake switch in the glove box).

I should have added into my initial commentary:
-The V8 seems to be superior to the V6 in terms of durability, that's not to say the V6 isn't a good engine but that the 4.4L may be one of the better ones that LR has used, ever.
-If you want to put a decent set of tires on it, especially slightly larger than stock, I'd def say get one with 18's vice the 19's.

Aftermarket is growing for the trucks to a degree though options are still fairly limited when it comes to things like winch bumpers and the like. One of the better things happening is L8 seems to moving toward becoming a prospeed dealer here in the US; when you want to drop some $$$ they have some very nice stuff.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-02 18.00.57.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	155673

My truck after fitting the prospeed rack (I had a Frontrunner 1/2 rack on which was good, but the prospeed is like getting the SD low rack for a D1; it's the standard to measure against-IMHO).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old August 15th, 2016, 06:14 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 5,671
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
For the sake of the discussion, what's the 08 or higher rationale? I've seen very little marked difference year to year in my research and in building my (06) out. There is the anecdotal 'the bugs were worked out' but that doesn't necessarily seem to bear itself out in substance. There is some instrument panel changes...of course all of that can be sorted immediately with an IID tool which is a must have for an LR3 owner. (along with a spare brake switch in the glove box). I should have added into my initial commentary: -The V8 seems to be superior to the V6 in terms of durability, that's not to say the V6 isn't a good engine but that the 4.4L may be one of the better ones that LR has used, ever. -If you want to put a decent set of tires on it, especially slightly larger than stock, I'd def say get one with 18's vice the 19's. Aftermarket is growing for the trucks to a degree though options are still fairly limited when it comes to things like winch bumpers and the like. One of the better things happening is L8 seems to moving toward becoming a prospeed dealer here in the US; when you want to drop some $$$ they have some very nice stuff. My truck after fitting the prospeed rack (I had a Frontrunner 1/2 rack on which was good, but the prospeed is like getting the SD low rack for a D1; it's the standard to measure against-IMHO).
Ray, what direction have you gone or see yourself going re suspension?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:41 AM
WeBeCinYa's Avatar
WeBeCinYa
Status: Offline
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 2,318
Registry
On our 2nd 2006 LR3. Shouldn't have traded the first one. Very solid trucks. Brakes, tires, MPG's are the routine drawbacks.

Replaced compressors on both, rear diff had squeaky bearing and seller replaced entire diff prior to my purchase, had the rear tailgate issue where it wouldn't open, control arms.

2nd one currently sitting at 76K, we put about 4000 miles a year.

My opinion don't let certain options drive you to a certain truck, especially Nav or HD package. Get a good PPI done and enjoy it!
__________________
1994 Defender 90
1996 Discovery I
2006 LR3 SE
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Ray_G's Avatar
Ray_G
Status: Offline
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NoVA
Posts: 2,585
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Ray, what direction have you gone or see yourself going re suspension?
Clay-
Loaded question that will throw this post for a curve! I switched to coils, after the chorus of 'it will ruin the truck' was heard and moved past.

It did not, in fact, ruin the truck.

I will caveat all that by saying my switch made sense for me. There are few things worse than going to the bumpstops in an LR3 in 120 degree ambient air on the edge of the empty quarter, and then troubleshooting (to find that it was a brake light bulb). Then the compressor started to go. In the UAE the cost to rebuild or replace the compressor was going to be higher than it is here in the US, and given the truck was at 10yr/100k miles my suspicion was that I'd replace or upgrade and then shortly thereafter an EAS block would go, or a strut, and then another strut, etc. Were I here in the US I may have considered sticking with the EAS since I could do the work myself, that was not feasible over there.

Oh, and I didn't care about the EAS and viewed it as an increasingly unnecessary variable in my build.

So I got the OME +2 kit from AB and the pic I posted shows how she sits. I may go up about 1/2" in tire size when she gets back and I switch from Terra Grapplers to KO2s but otherwise the truck is about done in terms of major mechanical components. Whole build thread is here if people are bored:
NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist - Expedition Portal
r-
R
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:08 PM
goinsurfin's Avatar
goinsurfin
Status: Offline
Jayson
06 LR3 HSE
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 265
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
On our 2nd 2006 LR3. Shouldn't have traded the first one. Very solid trucks. Brakes, tires, MPG's are the routine drawbacks. Replaced compressors on both, rear diff had squeaky bearing and seller replaced entire diff prior to my purchase, had the rear tailgate issue where it wouldn't open, control arms. 2nd one currently sitting at 76K, we put about 4000 miles a year. My opinion don't let certain options drive you to a certain truck, especially Nav or HD package. Get a good PPI done and enjoy it!
I had a 2006 HSE past 9 years and had similar fixes as webecinya. Safely I replaced brakes and tires every 2 years. Has both diff replaced under warranty. I cannot say there were ever any surprise issues. The engine was solid! And sold it at 164k. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old August 15th, 2016, 07:17 PM
greenmountainrover's Avatar
greenmountainrover
Status: Online
Derek Chace
84 Lightweight FFR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte VT
Posts: 1,588
Registry
Thanks guys!
__________________
Green Mountain Rovers your Defender/Series sales and importation specialist.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

802-655-4874
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:05 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 5,671
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Clay- Loaded question that will throw this post for a curve! I switched to coils, after the chorus of 'it will ruin the truck' was heard and moved past. It did not, in fact, ruin the truck. I will caveat all that by saying my switch made sense for me. There are few things worse than going to the bumpstops in an LR3 in 120 degree ambient air on the edge of the empty quarter, and then troubleshooting (to find that it was a brake light bulb). Then the compressor started to go. In the UAE the cost to rebuild or replace the compressor was going to be higher than it is here in the US, and given the truck was at 10yr/100k miles my suspicion was that I'd replace or upgrade and then shortly thereafter an EAS block would go, or a strut, and then another strut, etc. Were I here in the US I may have considered sticking with the EAS since I could do the work myself, that was not feasible over there. Oh, and I didn't care about the EAS and viewed it as an increasingly unnecessary variable in my build. So I got the OME +2 kit from AB and the pic I posted shows how she sits. I may go up about 1/2" in tire size when she gets back and I switch from Terra Grapplers to KO2s but otherwise the truck is about done in terms of major mechanical components. Whole build thread is here if people are bored: NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist - Expedition Portal r- R
thanks Ray, makes sense to me man.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old August 16th, 2016, 06:24 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,325
Only one thought on the LR3s, be careful to avoid the V6s. They are out there...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old August 16th, 2016, 09:31 AM
down_shift's Avatar
down_shift
Status: Offline
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 4,036
Registry
The LR3 is a great family hauler and road warrior. Picked my 06' SE up in 2/14 (1-owner, Alabama, 38k). Averaging 1,500/month over the 30 months of ownership. With 84k on the odo, the well discussed lower control arms, front wheel bearings (do these at the same time regardless -- yea, I should have listened to Jimmy), tailgate latch, windshield leak through glove box, and sunroof drain clogged issued all presented and fixed with help through this forum. Easy repairs and parts are not too $$. Attached are my actual expenses. Labor is me except for mounting/balancing the tires.
Wait for a clean rust free LR3. With TONS out there, why pickup up one that has been abused by years of salt or tons of ownership? The ~ $500-$1000 max to haul one from a good climate, with a documented maintenance history, 1-owner wife driven (sorry, being sexist), is worth every penny. Stay clear of the dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2957594910.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	155719   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2992096668.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	155720  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2251066949.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	155721   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-858549906.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	155722  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-778810523.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	155724  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for LR3 bneri Wanted 6 September 28th, 2014 12:00 PM
San Diego help please...? Looking at a LR3 APaden Wanted 14 February 3rd, 2011 03:45 PM
Lr3 mhansen Misc. Chit-Chat 24 April 26th, 2004 10:00 AM
LR3 Unveiling...in NYC dmarchand Trips, Trails and Events 3 March 29th, 2004 12:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Copyright