Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
TravelerBT
Philip Marshall
none - :*(

Registry
looking for a lawyer...

So, short version of the situation...

I sent my doors... all four of them to be repaired by Andy down in florida (rover racks) and Saia, the shipping company lost them.

They said they were only going to give me .10 per pound ($30) as they were used doors. obviously not going to get me far in replacing the doors there...

On top of that, I lost my job... so I am hoping that this lawyer would be willing to do this because they just love land rovers and the folks on this forum...

So... summary... I have a truck with no doors, no way to replace the doors becuase Saia (shipping company) is trying to screw me over. And the claims manager will not return my phone calls over at Saia...

Hence... the need for a lawyer...

thanks so much...

pgmllc@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:51 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I will discuss it with the in-house firm (wife) and my neighbor (he is one of the psyco attorneys who likes to fuck with people).

Update: Wife will help (neighbor will draft letter). PM sent.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That is too bad. Not sure how a lawyer could cost less than a set of doors, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
what does the shipping manifesto you've signed stipulates?
Old April 22nd, 2011, 12:08 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
That is too bad. Not sure how a lawyer could cost less than a set of doors, though.
I am sure this is going to fall under pro-bono work...
Old April 22nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Worked in the moving industry in college. Here is why small shipments via moving companies is a bad idea....you ship 2 doors that weigh maybe 30lbs on a truck that is packed with 20k pounds of various items, and that truck probably has at least 4 stops or transfers before your items get delivered. That means your doors could have been unloaded into a warehouse with another shipment, and forgot to put them back on the truck. Or, they are sitting in someones house, and they are wondering....how the hell did i end up with two car doors. The moving company should be able to trace them though.

Its a catch22 when they lose your stuff. Generally, the paperwork you sign is very carefully worded and if you did not pick the extra valuation (NOT INSURANCE) then you are probably limited to a very small amount- generally the 10cents/lb based on the weight of your shipment, which wouldnt be much in your case.

If its a reputable moving company, as the one I worked at was, they will work with you, and they will try their hardest to find them or make you whole.

File complaint with the BBB, states attorney general, and state regulator of transport/moving companies/interstate commerce (if your state has one).

Legally, its a long road, and a time consuming battle even if pro bono. You need to document every conversation, good and bad. Any letters sent should be certified mail, return receipt requested. If its a mom-and-pop moving company, find out what national carrier they are affiliated with to see if you can find where they might have been dropped off.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Saia is a very large LTL trucking company...noy a moving co or a mom and pop. LTL companies have much different insurance rules...I would not hold your breath. Pricing (and correspondingly your claims rate) are set by arcane freight categorization...if you paid for used door shipping and that is what the BL said...that is what you will get paid for. I would try your homeowners or renters insurance first.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old April 22nd, 2011, 04:58 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I had shipped my turner mountain bike to asheville via fedex and it disappeared. I didn't take the extra insurance so fedex would only cover the minimum like $100. My home owners wouldn't cover it because I shipped it.

Thankfully the bike turned up tagless at some fedex center in Utah where tons of packages with no labels go. I got it back without a scratch.

Funny enough I sold a gas tank on the board and it disappeared as well. I called fedex and told them it was a gas tank and they needed to know the brand as they had a ton of gas tanks. They found it wth no box sitting in another warehouse.

I can only imagine the awesome stuff that never gets claimed.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I had shipped my turner mountain bike to asheville via fedex and it disappeared. I didn't take the extra insurance so fedex would only cover the minimum like $100. My home owners wouldn't cover it because I shipped it.

Thankfully the bike turned up tagless at some fedex center in Utah where tons of packages with no labels go. I got it back without a scratch.

Funny enough I sold a gas tank on the board and it disappeared as well. I called fedex and told them it was a gas tank and they needed to know the brand as they had a ton of gas tanks. They found it wth no box sitting in another warehouse.

I can only imagine the awesome stuff that never gets claimed.
Confirms my point which is you aren't wrapped tight

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 05:09 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
You would not believe what goes unclaimed. It all ends up in trailers and salvage guys pick it up by the pound. When I worked for a LTL compny, our claims dept. sent us 5 new high-end PCs the were lost freight. The had a large PC resellers name on the return label. Our clams dept called them once a month until the 90 limit was up and hen gave them o my team. Every time they called, the reseller inisted that they didn't ship them. Point is...there are tons on federal regs that cover trucking companies...andthey are pretty well covered for claims...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS