Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 27th, 2007, 02:18 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Looking for a D90 soon - newb questions

Hi-

Over the last few weeks I've been re-thinking my main driver. Currently it's a 2004 Audi S4 and has been an absolute blast, but it's my 3rd Audi in a row, and having 3 younger kids, I thought it would be great to show them some 4WD experiences like my dad showed my brothers and me when we were young (he had a few classic Broncos, Jeep Cherokees (FJ), a Jeepster, and countless 4WD pick up trucks).

After talking to a fellow gear head - we were throwing out what might work. something from Jeep, a restored classic Bronco or mid 70's Blazer, FJ40, and of course the D90.

Turns out the local LR stealer has a '95 D90 SW on the lot. Last Sat I took my oldest there for a test ride. On first look, I could tell something was a little different looking. It's running 285/75/16 Bridge Dueler M/T's, OME shocks, ARB bumper/guard, Warn Winch, Borla exhaust, & Hella's. I'm guessing it has a bit of lift to clear the tires - but I'm not exactly sure how to tell.

The drive felt good. I'm used to the S4 which is has a really great ride and 340 HP at the crank for plenty of power. I was expecting worse, but I have to say the D90 was fun. I got it up to 60 MPH, and it felt like it tracked straight. Tranny felt smooth in each gear. Oil was clear but it looked like the dealer had just swapped it out (new looking filter). No noticable rust from looking underneath although next time I look at the doors and under the gas tank and do some poking.

It's at a LR dealer so the price isn't cheap but it is local and I would save close to $2k on taxes trading my car in - not to mention that being able to trade my car in saves me a little bit of headache too.

The only problem is, one of the reasons I was looking to switch was for open top vehicle to enjoy in the warm months.

- What is an estimated cost for a SW to ST conversion? I've STFA and read the article in the "CUSTOM MODS" section - just wondering if the parts are typcially available and what I can expect to spend.
- Is it worth it to do a the SW to ST conversion? Will it take away from the overall value of it?
- Would it be stupid to by the first D90 I look at?
- Seem like there are a few folks on this board from NJ- any good trails? Or even nearby destinations in PA?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2007, 02:28 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
The only problem is, one of the reasons I was looking to switch was for open top vehicle to enjoy in the warm months.

- What is an estimated cost for a SW to ST conversion? I've STFA and read the article in the "CUSTOM MODS" section - just wondering if the parts are typcially available and what I can expect to spend.
- Is it worth it to do a the SW to ST conversion? Will it take away from the overall value of it?
- Would it be stupid to by the first D90 I look at?
- Seem like there are a few folks on this board from NJ- any good trails? Or even nearby destinations in PA?

Thanks in advance for any advice
There are some trails down in the Pine Barrens (Exit 7 off of NJTP) .. there are some parks in PA that we go to as well.. plus some places in upstate NY we travel to.

Only problem with dealerships is that they charge a LOT for the d90s.. Look at the for sale section of this board and you'll find a lot of things.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:31 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
My personal thoughts...if you want an ST...find an ST!

I had 285s on my Yellow St with stock suspension (currently having the suspension changed)...the tires rubbed when making sharp turns. Then again with 265s (stock) on my LE, the tires rub when making sharp turns.

Would it be stupid to buy the first D90, LOL...I almost did...it was also at the Stealership. Very glad that I waited. Spend some time on this board, while you look. Another option (some say it's an expensive option but you do own an S4) would be to check out Copleys , they might be able to work with you on trades.

So the D90 is going to be your S4 daily driver replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
badgerman
Christopher Laws
1964 Land Badger
D-90 Source Vendor

What LR dealer is the vehicle at?
Old September 27th, 2007, 02:41 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

From where he lives, I'm assuming this is the truck (Land Rover Monmouth): http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_car...-/x_dealer_id-

33k is kinda high for a 95..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
From where he lives, I'm assuming this is the truck (Land Rover Monmouth): http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_car...-/x_dealer_id-

33k is kinda high for a 95..
Nice sleuthing!

He can knock off another $500 off the price. http://www.landrovermonmouth.com/htm...ge_advert.html
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Take a look at a few different ones. Bring one of the guys from this board, that lives in your area to help out. But, I would buy a softtop and find a fiberglass hard top or buy a badger soft top for it. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Scott

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes, it is that '95 at Monmouth. I agree there have been ones for sale for cheaper but...
- I feel like the mods are something I would add eventually - especially the Borla and ARB bumper (I think those are $3k retail by themselves).
- The trade-in sale's tax savings is pretty big too ($2k).
- Not to mention I can check this one out in person. There are a few in the classifieds for mid-hi 20's but they are a few states away at least.

What do you guys think would be a fair price and are the mods worth anything?

My next question was going to be about a vehicle at Copley's. With them being in MA it's not that far of a hike. They have a '94 ST w/ A/C that has my interest: http://www.copleymotorcars.com/land_...5.3vo1257.html Not cheap either. But how are the vehicles that come out of Copley? If they have a clean well doc'd history and check out all right - is it worth the premium price?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Take a look at a few different ones. Bring one of the guys from this board, that lives in your area to help out. But, I would buy a softtop and find a fiberglass hard top or buy a badger soft top for it. Then you have the best of both worlds.

Scott
From what I've been searching the Badger's sound like a great product is the soft top to get.
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Copley has some very nice products.. but prices reflect the quality and low mileage you'll get. I'd strongly agree, if you want a ST buy a ST... for the money you're willing to pay, you can be chosey on what you buy.. if you found a SW for $15k and wanted a ST, that's a different story.

There are always D90s that pop up for sale in NJ/NY area.. just have to keep your eyes open.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I think that everyone here will agree that Copley's trucks are all top notch. I helped my dad sell one of his ultra low mileage 90s to them a couple of years ago. It was the smoothest auto transaction I have ever done. Stewart wired the money, and sent a truck to Tennessee the next day to pick it up. Real nice guy too...
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:46 PM
motap
neal

Hey Don, it's Neal, I bought your AWE exhaust.

Funny that I've been seriously considering a Defender to replace my S4 in the next couple of months as well.

I know that the Defender will be a different type of fun, but I have to see if I can get used to having a truck everyday instead of the S4.

I am mainly just tired of worrying about the Audi when it's on the street or in the city, etc.
I wish I could get an extended drive in one as I've only briefly driven a 94 ST a year or two ago.

Anyways, I go to school very close to Copley, so if you want me to check out a truck for you i'd be happy to. I like to go there and check out the Defenders every now and then anyways.

-Neal
Old September 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I met a woman locally who bought a Copley 90. It had a tear in the top that they did not inform her of. To their credit they are giving her a new top. It also did not seem to be gone through before delivery considering the wasps nest.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by motap
Hey Don, it's Neal, I bought your AWE exhaust.

Funny that I've been seriously considering a Defender to replace my S4 in the next couple of months as well.

I know that the Defender will be a different type of fun, but I have to see if I can get used to having a truck everyday instead of the S4.

I am mainly just tired of worrying about the Audi when it's on the street or in the city, etc.
I wish I could get an extended drive in one as I've only briefly driven a 94 ST a year or two ago.

Anyways, I go to school very close to Copley, so if you want me to check out a truck for you i'd be happy to. I like to go there and check out the Defenders every now and then anyways.

-Neal
Hey Neal! Small world :D

The S4. I love this car especially with an exahust with some "note". The main thing is, I drive it mostly around town - I only work 3 miles away and hardly get it the S4 on the highway for a proper drive. Not to mention I'm always looking at the V1 and speedo - as you know this car likes to go fast. And like you said, worrying about it on the street - I just noticed one of the BBS CH's has a nick in it. Coincidently, my wife has just driven the car for a couple days last week

We have a Yukon XL for the kids and travel and my wife has a MB E500 Wagon. I also use the S4 more like a truck - I had 20 2x4's in it just today for a project at the house. A couple days a week it also has my dirty biking stuff in it.

I might hit you up on the offer to check out a vehicle at Copley. That white '94 ST has me very interested.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
motap
neal

I feel the same way about the S4, most of my driving is in town under 30mph. The Boston roads are not kind to 35 series tires and PSS9's. However, the S4 really is great for those long but unfrequent trips down 95 and it sounds so nice!

Not sure what I'll do yet, but I'll send you an email in a few...
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmuller
Copley has some very nice products.. but prices reflect the quality and low mileage you'll get. I'd strongly agree, if you want a ST buy a ST... for the money you're willing to pay, you can be chosey on what you buy.. if you found a SW for $15k and wanted a ST, that's a different story.

There are always D90s that pop up for sale in NJ/NY area.. just have to keep your eyes open.
Yeah, I'm thinking I have the "Love at first drive" syndrome. It being local and the vehicle having some nice mods makes it hard as well.

I have a few mods on my car I have to remove and change back to stock before trading or selling it anyway. I can use that money as a downpayment too.

One good thing about this area is the abundance of different vehicles even LR's. Back in 2000 when my wife and I wanted a Disco Series II, there were a bunch of dealers to choose one from. I'll keep my eyes open both here and on the cars.com/autotrader/craigslist sites.
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Yeah.. d90s are a bit more rare then the d2s.. dealerships get them, end up charging 30-40k for them.. craigslist/autotrader/ebay/etc.. are good options.. just check the trucks for rust.. undercarriage, bulkhead, etc.. there are a few I know about locally that will definitely need a frame swap in the near future.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Old September 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Here is some food for thought:
I think that a D90 is not the greatest everyday driver. They rattle, leak and have problems, so consider that before giving up your audi. On the other hand, they are addictive, and you can get over their quirks once you gain a little mechanical skill with them. You might as well keep the Audi and buy the 90, if you can. If not, you will buy another car to drive everyday, and you will keep the D90. That is just the way it goes.
Don't buy a hardtop if you want a soft top because every spring and fall you will kick yourself in the ass for it. The conversion is a PITA and that is with all the parts. You will find a bunch of other problems when you do this, and you will mess with the trucks value, unless you put it all back together and never tell anyone what you did before you sell it. Find a 94 Soft top for 15-18K and be done with it. At that price you can slowly start to replace what is broken from parts found here, and you'll put together a good truck that you put something into, confirming your justification for never selling to your wife. Just my thoughts.

97 D90 SW
Old September 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I met a woman locally who bought a Copley 90. It had a tear in the top that they did not inform her of. To their credit they are giving her a new top. It also did not seem to be gone through before delivery considering the wasps nest.
I would find that hard to believe about Copley..maybe they missed a tear in a soft top, but they always have their vehicles inspected/repaired before delivery at City Side Garage close by their dealership. They also send many of their D-90s onto ECR for modifications and upgrades at the customer's expense. They have a great reputation and are very dependable albeit a bit pricey, but they deal mainly with clean, low mile Defenders.
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:18 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Shawn - Thanks for the heads up. We do have 2 other cars besides my S4 so I have that option. The S4 has 17,000 miles so you can tell it's not driven much. A lot of those miles are from road trips to VT, MA, and OH.

It's also good to hear about Copley's thoroughness - I wouldn't mind paying a little extra just for the convience of not having to stress about the condition of a vehicle.

Ryan - thanks for the info. I'll look out for any NJ GTG's and hopefully I can meet up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
90, d90