looking at a 110 nas... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 24th, 2008, 02:54 PM
zimm
bart
anyone moves..... #238 sold

looking at a 110 nas...

i was over at overland looking for tips on what to look at as far as flaws, rust etc.

i got a short list out of them, but was also recommended to ask here.

heres what i got so far...

plate #
check vin
lower doors
bulkhead bottom
rear door cage area
out riggers to bulk head
triangles behind rear doors
oil cooler lines
body cappings
t-supports

anyone wanna add anything?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 03:00 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
And naturally you want to pull a carfax to see if it ever burned up. A salvage title sucks to have, even a laundered one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 24th, 2008, 03:44 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Unless you plan dash updates make sure the heat and AC system (HVAC) work correctly.
A good number of the parts to fix those systems are NLA, so make sure the blower motor runs quiet and all the vac. motors and such work.

I always look for all the little spot welds are visible on the tub. If they aren't there it usually means bondo from an accident.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Look to see if it has four "matte" flares as opposed to the glossy ones. The matte ones went NLA in 1998 so any accidents after that the replacements are usually glossy.

Stick you head under the B-pillar and look up to see if it is clogged with mud or rusty.

Fuel tank skid plate is crazy money new.

Check for corrosion on brake lines.

Leaking pinion seal on rear axle (it is leather) and make sure the salisbury has oil in it.

Pitted swivel balls.

Upgraded to R380? (reverse down and to the right)
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:01 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Unless you plan dash updates make sure the heat and AC system (HVAC) work correctly.
A good number of the parts to fix those systems are NLA, so make sure the blower motor runs quiet and all the vac. motors and such work.

I always look for all the little spot welds are visible on the tub. If they aren't there it usually means bondo from an accident.
Fidel did these things ever blow cold? Mine sucks. Everytime i drive my truck i think im crazy to have paid for $40k for a vehicle with a/c that blows warm.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:15 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR

hmmmmm. owner did say he has to "manually" switch the hvac from hot to cold from under the hood. apparently some sort of actuator os frozen.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Fidel did these things ever blow cold? Mine sucks. Everytime i drive my truck i think im crazy to have paid for $40k for a vehicle with a/c that blows warm.

yes, they can work. I just re-did one for a customer and I test drove the truck for a few days and it was quite cold. The problem is that the foam decays and the isolation between the heater core and the evap end up sharing the same air, so you are trying to cool the heated air and the AC can't win.
They really suck and are a pain to fix, but if you take the time and have all the parts and make some modifications they can work quite well... but unless you do it yourself its usually cheaper to just add the NAS 90 under-dash system.
BTW... my name is Mike... Fidel is a joke relating to my new office that overlooks the entire shop here at ECR.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm
hmmmmm. owner did say he has to "manually" switch the hvac from hot to cold from under the hood. apparently some sort of actuator os frozen.

Strike one.
That would be the vac. motor that is on the heater hose in line between the engine and the HVAC unit on the fender.
Things like that scare me about buying a 110. Why wouldn't the guy fix it? Is he too cheap? or is he too stupid? or does he just not care about anything mechanical on the truck? None of those things point to good care for the rest of the truck (as a generalization)... but then again if it is priced right...

Old July 24th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

LOL, I noticed you changed your name Mike, but thought maybe you were just trying to go incognito on the site.
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:37 PM
zimm
bart

carfax is clear, and the vin is on Jim C's registry list....

looks as if the 40k miles is legit.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
yes, they can work. I just re-did one for a customer and I test drove the truck for a few days and it was quite cold. The problem is that the foam decays and the isolation between the heater core and the evap end up sharing the same air, so you are trying to cool the heated air and the AC can't win.
They really suck and are a pain to fix, but if you take the time and have all the parts and make some modifications they can work quite well... but unless you do it yourself its usually cheaper to just add the NAS 90 under-dash system.
BTW... my name is Mike... Fidel is a joke relating to my new office that overlooks the entire shop here at ECR.

Follow-up Post:

Strike one.
That would be the vac. motor that is on the heater hose in line between the engine and the HVAC unit on the fender.
Things like that scare me about buying a 110. Why wouldn't the guy fix it? Is he too cheap? or is he too stupid? or does he just not care about anything mechanical on the truck? None of those things point to good care for the rest of the truck (as a generalization)... but then again if it is priced right...
original post of mine on Overland

ok.

93 north american.

it has the monkey bars and all that.

newer 1.5" lift suspension, shocks etc.

had a rear door replaced and adjacent body panel due to someone backing into it. no putty or any other damage as far as the owner is saying, or i can tell.

one of the side step bars rusted from the inside out due to water and no drain holes. not a big deal.

cracked "y" pipe on the exhaust. i understand this is sorta common. apparent noise on start up that owner says goes away as metal expands. needs replaced but not a big deal.

part on hvac system that switches from ac to heat is frozen. needs replaced.

slight dent in passenger rocker not worth repairing.

other than that, its clean. tad bit of surface rust underside here and there. much cleaner than my 01 lexus lx470. a bit of spot hand sanding here and there, and a shot of black paint and it would be showroom underneath. 40k miles. if a new rig is an A+ this is a an Aa- to an an A.

owner said 35k when asked what he wants, i have a feeling he'll sell for 30k.

so.

is that a good price? not sure i want it. seems cheap for what ive seen asked for one of these lately.

what is the opinion of EP chat?

edit: it has rdb conversion also
Old July 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I get the idea that the seller will give it to you cheap. Is he stupid? Doesn't believe in getting market price? Likes you? Hiding something? For perspective, I paid 30k for a total POS NAS 110 a while back, and you just almost never see them for sale for less than that.

Old July 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I get the idea that the seller will give it to you cheap. Is he stupid? Doesn't believe in getting market price? Likes you? Hiding something? For perspective, I paid 30k for a total POS NAS 110 a while back, and you just almost never see them for sale for less than that.
i have a nice smile. and and endearing sarcastic wit that makes others do as i want.

that and..

they seem eager to sell..
most will drop from their opening asking price.
more than most will drop when you give the money in a folder on the spot.

hey. i may not want it. it looked good to soemone thats used single piece land cruiser bodies, with perpetual motion toyota motors. thats why i posted here. i needed a crash course in rover origami, and english engineering. :-)

if its a super deal, i may resell it, and put the proceeds towards an 83 that i dont care if i roll over (i use my trucks, hard) or do a trade. its all open to me right now. if its a great base for a restoration, for someone thats a better rover guy than me, which is 100% of those here, ill post the contact info. if it was a hunk of poo with a grey vin, i was gonna just ignore its existence. i dont wann be third party in that poo pool.

zimm
fj40,fj60,fj55,lexuscruiser.

Follow-up Post:

thes deisel/r380 swaps in 110nas's

do they devalue the rig? its not the original engine.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:17 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm curious by your comment that its on my registry, I don't see any notes that fit the description. The VIN will definitely be on the registry because all the vins are there, but only those trucks with entries in the other columns are ones I've accounted for.

If you don't want it yourself, flip it to the enthusiast community here before letting one of the over-representation artists get at it and attempt to armor-all it into a 75k truck.

Old July 24th, 2008, 07:12 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
[QUOTE=ECR]yes, they can work. I just re-did one for a customer and I test drove the truck for a few days and it was quite cold. The problem is that the foam decays and the isolation between the heater core and the evap end up sharing the same air, so you are trying to cool the heated air and the AC can't win.

Follow-up Post:

Ill add that to the list of things id like to have you do when you start accepting new work.

Apologies...Mike.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:23 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

As far as the diesel swap goes.. if done right and well documented, they can command good money but the true premium collector trucks that usually garner the most are basically stock and rustfree (and ideally restored by ECR).

It sounds like the one you're looking at is cheap though. At the very least, you could hold onto it, have some fun, and sell for more than you paid (how much more depends on condition). What kind of service history does it have?

Speaking straight from experience (bought a 30k mile D90), if you can't do the work yourself, repair bills and parts add up quick.
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:05 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Sadly 30-35K doesn't buy much in a 1993 NAS 110, especially a rust free 40K miler.
Be REALLY careful. You are either about to get a smoking good deal, or a major a$$ cleaning.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Apologies...Mike.
No apology needed. I think its funny when people call here asking for Fidel.

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:25 AM
zimm
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Sadly 30-35K doesn't buy much in a 1993 NAS 110, especially a rust free 40K miler.
Be REALLY careful. You are either about to get a smoking good deal, or a major a$$ cleaning.

Follow-up Post:

No apology needed. I think its funny when people call here asking for Fidel.
it was purdy clean sittin' on the street, whithout me knowing what to look for. a week of brain picking, and im much more equipt to scrutinize it.
Old July 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
zimm
bart

absolutely nothing wrong with ANYTHING that was suggested to inspect. the fuel tank and springs were put on in 2001, and still have the land rover stickers on them.

after the 2 hour inspection, i agreed to his asking price. however, the owner is having an emotionally difficulty parting with it .... buuuut... he said he wont sell it out from under me. :-/

nice guy. the rig is original, legit, and in great shape. we're supposed to talk more this weekend. i hope he sells. i wont be able to part with this truck if he does.
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Sounds like a smoking deal, I hope it works out for you.
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Good Luck Zimm! We hope to welcome you to the Muddy Oval Societ soon!
Old July 26th, 2008, 12:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I hope to add you to the NAS110 registry soon!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, nas