Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Long time no post

I'm ba-ack.

Far as I know, themaxx still has my old Humpty Dumpty (?).

And now I'm thinking about another Rover. It'll replace a Jeep Rubicon and an old Volvo wagon.

Boat and hound hauling, moving cabinets, maybe some land surveying. Occasional offroading. I have a motorcycle for 60-80% of my commuting, but it'd do that as well.

Probably not a D90 simply due to lack o' $$$. What's the next best thing to a Defender? Don't think Mrs will go for a Series. Still love the RRC, and all older Rovers, but... maybe something bigger inside, newer, less rust...

Maybe a 2004 DII? Collective wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2009, 03:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welcome back. Ade moved to the area and then fell of the grid. I guess I need to ping him to see how he's doing. Last I heard he still had humpty. I helped him do the brakes or something on it.. forgotten what already.

Not sure where the sweet spot on Discos or LR3s are. How much are you willing to spend?

charles
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I would prefer to keep the price under $15k OTR. Maybe $20k, but I'd rather not. I guess D90s can be had for upper teens, but that's pricing in needed repairs beyond the sale price.

Guess that's why I'm thinking something like an '04 DII - buy at 10-12k and it shouldn't need anything but A/T tires. That little trip with you, Doug, and my friend to GWNF is about the wheeling I'd do +/-.

What are the pros/cons to DII or even LR3 if I can get a good deal (or change the budget)? I seem to recall the DII was thought to be the better offroad choice of the recent Rover offerings...

I *may* be a little wary of buying something older...

How've you been Charles? How's Janey doing?

I haven't heard from Ade in a long while (early spring?). Seemed like a great guy, wonder where he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Why not an early 110 for your purposes? There's lots of guys in your AO with them who could assist with search, inspection, purchase etc. Buy one that didn't suck and you'd have something you could drive around and update as desired.

Follow-up Post:

Oh, welcome back!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Doing good. Janey is not getting too much attention right now. I need to do some frame patching so haven't been wheeling her much and don't drive much otherwise so she's been sitting. Also got sidetracked with a trailer project.

Given your previous experience I will recommend going with an LR3 which should be under 20K these days.

I sent an email to Ade to see how he's doing.

charles
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:14 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I think that given current market conditions you would be surprised what you could get for 10-15k. I've seen nice '03 and '04 discos going for under 10k. 90s on this site seem to be very depressed too. Lately I've seen some good ones for sale in your price range.
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'll be watching. It may well be a 1st-of-the-year thing, if it happens; and that's OK, I'm in NO rush this time around. Wise man once told me "if you want it bad, you'll get it bad." I'll keep an eye on what's available in that range. for the next month or two.

Jim... I hear you. Every time I see a SIIA I get all excited and start dreaming. But, this will be required to perform as a DD on occasion and I'm not sure I'm cut out for an 83-83 110, or older car. (I'm in school and have other hobbies) I learned a lot from my RRC and, granted, some of it was good, but... I think I'm looking for a more recent LR offering. Mid-90s or newer.

Thanks, guys.
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

04 D2 with low miles. best truck for your money right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat