Long distance buying advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top
Long distance buying advice

So my wife wants a car that is located at a dealership in Indiana. I know you guys have dealt with this and I am looking for advice.

I feel a little uncomfortable sending money to a dealer I don't know and hoping they send me the car.

I also just started talking to a local auto broker here in town that will do all the negotiating and shipping of the car for me. This gives me some comfort as I am handing the money to someone local.

How do you guys handle buying cars across the county? What is to keep me from getting ripped off?? The dealer has a website so I think it is an actual place, but who really knows??

Are auto brokers worth the extra money or not??

What is the process of buying a car long distance??

I understand the nuances of getting third party inspections and recommended transporters from earlier posts. I am interested in the actual signing of the contract and transferring the money part of the process.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
I have sold a number of vehicles out of state here at work; in particular, Supercharged and Autobiography Range Rovers listing over $100k. We typically take a deposit and overnight the paperwork to the buyer. He/She signs it, sends it back and then either wires the money or sends a check (or finances) the vehicle and we release the vehicle to the transport company as soon as we have both the paperwork and full payment.

"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Apologies in advance for a long post. Here's the gist of my experience:

1. I have bought 4 cars long distance. All the cars I bought were so-called "gearhead" cars so that they had a carguy following and necessary support forums.

2. Each time I had a PPI done by someone I trusted. Because I'm a gearhead, I went to the relevant forums to find out competent local mechanics and interiewed them over the phone before I selected the mechanic.

3. I agreed on the price of the car with the seller pending inspection.

4. I paid the money to flyout to see the car. Luckily each time, the seller was at a location Southwest flew to so tickets were cheap. My wife and I made a weekend of these trips and saw local sights while we were there. I was present while the PPI took place. Again luckily for me, the PPI was clean all 4 times so I gave the seller my word and flew back home. I cannot stress enough the need to see the car in the flesh before buying and getting a feel for the seller. This is your only real protection against fraud. If your gut says no, walk away.

5. Wired the money to the seller, had the car shipped to me, seller overnighted the title.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST
One way plane ticket and a 12 pack of Red Bull...bring the check with you and drive it home.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old March 3rd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Rob Whiteman
1995/D90 Coniston Green
I recently purchased an out-of-state D90. I agree with the other posts that (1) there's no substitute for seeing the truck in-person, (2) you need a good PPI. Everybody has a different definition of "good", so you need to see the truck for yourself. Make sure you find a solid Rover guy to do the PPI and book a 1-way flight to see the truck. Alternatively, find a local board member to see the truck for you. I drove my D90 from Alabama to Chicago and loved all 700 minutes of the journey (including the 30 minutes I spent on the side of the road after a high-temp stall). Also, make sure you post as much information as possible to this site. Before I purchased my truck, I posted a badge number, VIN, and several pictures. I received tons of valuable feedback on the condition of the truck and asking price. While I ultimately went through with the sale, I had a laundry list of things to check out when I did the in-person inspection. Don't worry about anybody "stealing" the deal out from under you. This is a great group of D90 owners who would love to have another member of the forum.

Best of luck!
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:09 AM
David Lane
1997 AA Yellow #1147
I just bought my D90 in Pennsylvania from Colorado. I think I got extremely lucky to pull a really clean truck from the NorthEast. I bought it from a LR dealership and I grilled those guys for weeks. Had them take pictures like crazy of various parts of the car (i.e. mainly looking for rust). When the day came, my wife and I flew out to the see the truck first hand. Spent a couple of hours looking for issues with the list that I had complied with all of the research I had done to specifically look for what I was mainly concerned about. After that, I gave them the check and we drove it back to Denver. We had a backup plan just incase the truck was mis-represented. In the end, I am a proud new owner and am chopping at the bit for warmer weather.

Good luck with the purchase!
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II
I've used Paypal for the initial deposit. Gives you some options if the deal goes south.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat