Locking mechanisms - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:23 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Locking mechanisms

I'm building some boxes for the back of my truck, sort of like the kind that Troy Smith built but tweaked for the D90 ST. We've got the boxes designed and ready for fabrication except for the locking mechanisms. I need something that's very secure and reliable, better than the standard cabinet/drawer lock that McMaster sells. Looking for some suggestions.

I'm not sure of the name for it but I was thinking about a bar mechanism, where locking bars extend through the case and the door (lid). Something like this crude drawing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/defender90/4886155956/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:31 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I'd just use two tuffy locks..and make sure the hole is notched to keep them in place.

I have a hard enough time with my tuffy lock getting caught on things...I can just imagine what would get caught on that mechanism unless you have a two-layer lid...
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

The problem with the Tuffy lock is that they will only sell the tumbler. They won't sell the actual latch mechanism because they've patented it.

You have a good point about things getting caught. I definitely don't want them to get stuck in the locked position but I also don't want to have to turn two lock cylinders to open them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:36 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The following site might have what you need or atleast get you started in the correct direction

http://www.allegiscorp.com/jsp/displ...tching+Systems

Tell me more about the boxes, trying to figure out storage for my 90 and need all of the help I can get
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Thanks, Dave. These are some boxes that my brother-in-law drew out in SolidWorks for me. They are similar in shape to the Troy boxes but designed to work around the SD cage that runs along the sides of the truck. We are looking to build them with 1/8" steel, powder coated. They are going to be very burly but still look nice.

They are designed to be water jet cut, then folded, then welded. Hinge will be a heavy duty piano type.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:21 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

1/8 .125 is really thick for that application, have you thought about 1/16 .062?
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:38 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
1/8 .125 is really thick for that application, have you thought about 1/16 .062?
Maybe it was 1/16" with 1/8" radius bends. I'll have to look and see. I wanted something thicker than the steel that the Tuffy is built from. 1/8" does sound excessive and heavy. I just want something that won't bend easily if overstuffed or banged around.
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

your proposed locking mechanism looks like what's in my vertical file cabinet...

you might get what you need by finding an old verticle filing cabinet and just grabbing the locking arms...
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
The problem with the Tuffy lock is that they will only sell the tumbler. They won't sell the actual latch mechanism because they've patented it.

You have a good point about things getting caught. I definitely don't want them to get stuck in the locked position but I also don't want to have to turn two lock cylinders to open them.
T

That is only for the push button lock. Their standard lock will latch the same way the standard cabinet locks work.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post

Just buy and install the cam lock from Tuffy.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14...googlemerchant

Or push button:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14099_1002.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
That is only for the push button lock. Their standard lock will latch the same way the standard cabinet locks work.
I was hoping to duplicate what I have with the Tuffy box: the push-button latch mechanism with the striker, etc. I guess it's probably more trouble than it's worth. I could do like John Lee did and just install two regular tumblers like the ones David posted and roll with that. Sucks having to open two locks to get the box open.
Old August 13th, 2010, 10:00 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
It does suck. But the design of that tuffy mechanism across the lid of the box drives me nuts. Seems to really cut into the available space inside the box and I always find a way to jam it with something inside the box.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat