Lock up your daughters/beer/spare parts - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Lock up your daughters/beer/spare parts

The 110 is free and legal! I'm picking it up today, and schlepping back to NJ. Depending on what I can sort out for fulfilling my one and only obligation, I may head west tomorrow. Otherwise it will be Saturday.

APB for a tail-dragging 110 van, marine blue with white top and spewing diesel smoke. Driver is believed to be unarmed with common sense and dangerous to himself...
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:13 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Hope it's in better shape than the one Tillery got.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I built it myself. So probably not...
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2011, 09:15 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Congrats, will you be posting from the road? Looking forward to hearing about the trip
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:08 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Collected Smokey from the warehouse Monday afternoon. A tip if you need someone to pack your truck carefully with a lot of personal items -- don't hire US Customs. Oh well, I packed and unpacked the truck 4 or 5 times getting it ready to ship, what's one more?

Couldn't get my schedule to agree with an early departure, so I'll be heading west from NJ on Saturday the 18th.

Ran like a top on the 40 mile trip back to my current digs. Fuel level was in the red, I put $25 in and it pushed the needle to 1/2 a tank! Damn fuel is cheap here. Noticed a weird rattle from the engine once on the highway, so I stopped at the first exit. Turned out to be the hood prop banging on one of the A/C pipes. I bolted the A/C compressor I had to the engine before shipping so it wouldn't be another item to pay duty on. It was from a Disco, so I may have to do some pipe bending. In the short term, a piece of cloth tied around the hood prop killed the noise.

Pic below is right outside the warehouse door. Not squatting too bad for having over 1,000 lbs in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmokeyUS1.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	39639  
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Heading to Buffalo today, via Pitman, PA to visit a friend. On to Cleveland area on Friday night.

Had to go digging in a box to find a suit for my interview, so I spent about an hour repacking the truck yesterday. Managed to get more weight forward and low, and moved the stuff out of the passenger seat into the back. Need to pick up a roll of tape to make some masks for the RHD headlamps, and aim them down a bit to compensate for the load. Or I could pick up some cheap LHD sealed beams. Now wishing I had sprung for the Wolf adjustable light mounts (I have the switch...)

Stopped by Walmart and Costco yesterday to check prices on bulk veg oil. Looks like I'll continue to deplete the petroleum reserves, cheapest veg oil is still $6 a gallon. I swear this is collusion, flippin' veg oil is not that expensive to make.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Walmart sealed beams are $10 each.
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Wander
Matt
97 DI SD 5 speed

Any one ask you if it's a mail truck yet?? I used to get that all the time in my marine blue/white IIa and it wasn't even RHD. I don't think I've ever seen a blue US Mail tuck.

Enjoy the journey!

It's the journey that matters
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander View Post
Any one ask you if it's a mail truck yet?? I used to get that all the time in my marine blue/white IIa and it wasn't even RHD. I don't think I've ever seen a blue US Mail tuck.

Enjoy the journey!
My aunt said my 90 looked like a milk truck. Wander you need to post the before pic from expedition portal.
Old June 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Wow, looks great. Love the color.
Do you have any more pics?
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
My aunt said my 90 looked like a milk truck. Wander you need to post the before pic from expedition portal.
I meant Tony post the pics
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Hopefully no cock shots with his restoration.
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:08 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

If I ever "tweet" anything, let alone pics of my cack, please shoot me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blue110s11.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	39724  
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:30 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wander View Post

Enjoy the journey!
I've had a few double takes, and when I looked out the hotel window this morning, I noticed that the valet had decided not to move it from the "check-in parking only" spot.

The funniest moment came with a quite old woman in NJ. I was just getting in the truck, and she was toddling out of restaurant with her walker. She looks over, gives me a big smile and says "Hey! Did you know your steering wheel is on the wrong side?" I smile back and reply, "It is? I thought everyone else's was on the wrong side?!" She broke out in the biggest laugh, and says, "That's not all that's wrong with them!" Brilliant!
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:12 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Careful, the last Tony to 'post pics' just had to resign.

-Jeff
hahahhaha
----------
I love the double alpine windows, were they leaking or something?
Old June 17th, 2011, 07:17 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post

The funniest moment came with a quite old woman in NJ. I was just getting in the truck, and she was toddling out of restaurant with her walker. She looks over, gives me a big smile and says "Hey! Did you know your steering wheel is on the wrong side?"

I get that all the time. You might be amazed how fast I can respond, "No, it's on the right side."
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:54 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I love the double alpine windows, were they leaking or something?
No, but that roof had a lot of holes in it, and a big crunch in the back, so I swapped. Of course the other roof had some patches and small holes from aerials due to it's former life in the Fire service, so it's not great either. I still have the windows, at least one set will be installed. I want to get an early ribbed roof to replace the smooth one on there now.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:00 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Charles Kuralt I am not, so this isn't turning out to be much of a travelogue...

I'm in Denver now. If you live in Nebraska or Iowa, I apologize, but I'm in no hurry to come back. Two states of constant rain and headwinds... Fun driving in a heavily loaded 110.

After Buffalo, I stopped in Munroe Falls, Ohio to visit friends. It was supposed to be a wrenching party for some of the S6R (Senior Six Registry, the BMW Bavaria goons) and some of my friend's son's MazdaSpeed buddies. In the end, the only BMW work was 10 minutes setting timing and adjusting idle on the son's Bavaria. The rest of the time was spent on my fuel tank.

On the way to Buffalo, I stopped off in PA to visit another S6R friend. When I parked in front of his barn, we noticed Smokey was leaking fuel. In the hour I was there, we collected about a pint in a coffee can. Not good. When I parked at the Embassy Suites in Buffalo, there were a few drips but nothing substantial. The difference -- in PA I had 3/4 tank, in buffalo I had 1/4 tank.

On the trip down to Ohio, I kept the fuel level low, just feeding in a few gallons at a time. In the end we drained about 3 US gallons out of it. For the record, that was with the gauge needle just in the orange.

After draining, we pulled the tank, sat it on a milk crate and filled it with water. It was leaking out the bottom of the pickup/sender on the side, which I wasn't able to see with the tank in the truck as it is obscured by the frame and the flage of the tank.

Easy fix, good news! The sender and the gasket are new, so it was a quick job to pop it out, clean up the mount and seal it up with Hylomar. We let it set for a beer or two, and then filled it back up with water. It still seemed to be dripping from under the tank guard, but it was slow enough that I could almost convince myself it was jut leftover leakage draining out. Almost. In the end, we strung the tank up from an engine hoist with a couple of ratchet straps to approximate how it would be when mounted, and it started leaking with a lot more enthusiasm. The weight of the tank pressing on the guard was limiting the leaks.

We hadn't removed the tank guard because it was spot welded to the tank flange. After taking a close look at the welds, we decided we could drill them out without making more leaks. Once the guard was off the problem was obvious. The area under the guard had filled with gunk, the gunk had soaked up water, and the inevitable had happened.

A new tank isn't a practical choice in the middle of a coast to coast road trip, nor really in the economic cards. No one hanging around the back yard is any good at welding, and there isn't a welder in the garage anyway. In Munroe Falls on a Saturday afternoon, a POR15 tank sealing kit isn't readily available. But a quick trip to Autozone delivers -- rust remover gel, a wire brush, a can of spray paint, and the "Industrial Size" pack of JB Weld -- total cost, a shade under $30.

I gave the tank and guard a good once over with a wire wheel on a drill motor, then hit them with the rust gel, let it set a while and worked it over with a hand wire brush. That left the surface of the tank very clean, and showed the wisdom of getting a lot of JB Weld. My friend commented, "Your truck may be British, but that tank is Swiss..."

I did a first coat of JB, set the tank in the sun for a couple beers (and a sip or two of some very smooth 'shine), and then applied another layer. The guard got a few drain holes drilled in it and a coat of paint. Sunday morning, the tank was cured and ready for paint. By noon it was all back in place, ready for the trip to Chicago. Since Ohio I've used 3 full tanks and the 4th is in the truck now, and no sign of any leaks.

Tomorrow I'm on to Reno, and in a couple more days heading in to Oregon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JBTank.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	39826  
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old June 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Awesome! Congrats on the new truck
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I suppose it's worth mentioning, the truck has run like Swiss watch for over 2,000 miles. The only thing needing attention was the X-Brake. I installed a new cable when I put the kit on, and it stretched a little in the last two weeks. 5 minutes under the truck to spin the cable adjustment bolts and it's working perfectly again.

Since that was so fast, and the weather in Denver is so nice, I decided to do a valve adjustment. It's easy, and I hadn't done it yet. Took about half an hour, and it's a bit quieter at higher RPM's now.

On the path from NJ to Buffalo, I calculated about 23 miles per US gallon. That included some wandering around the PA hills trying to find a friend's house in the Mennonite country On the 90 from Buffalo to Chicago, and the 80 from Chicago to Iowa, I made 25 mpg, holding to a petty steady 65 mph. Once in Iowa, I picked up the speed to 70, and with the headwinds that dropped me to about 20 mpg, which I held through Nebraska. Roughly the same from the Colorado border climbing into Denver, again fighting cross and headwinds. This is with roughly 1,000 lbs in the back, I'm sure it would do better with a lighter load.

I need to remember to hit a truck scale and find out exactly how heavy it is.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, part, parts, spare