Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:09 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Living with a Def/Series in the city?

I may be taking a new position with my company in Baltimore. The position is near BWI, but if we move we plan to live in the city and I can take the train to work.

I know many of you own trucks in the city. How do you deal with it? I can't imagine my Series sitting on the street with non functioning door locks, not that they would stop anyone anyway.

So, how do you guys deal with keeping trucks in the city?
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My defender does not go to the city. Only the VW. Maybe rent a garage?
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
aside from security and maybe not fitting in a garage or two, it's basically one of the best vehicles for the condition (surprisingly). The short wheelbase is awesome for parellel parking, the height is great in traffic to see ahead, and I "win" probably 98% of all merges - who do you think will "chicken out" first when it comes time to merge? The truck with sliders along the side and metal bumpers front and rear, or the S500? They pretty much forfeit the space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
I used to work in Baltimore and I don't recommend driving it. Parking was always a problem.

My commute was a bit rough... (Alexandria to Baltimore Pre-Wilson Bridge) but that has nothing to do with it.

You can always move to the Burbs and get a nice house.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
aside from security and maybe not fitting in a garage or two, it's basically one of the best vehicles for the condition (surprisingly). The short wheelbase is awesome for parellel parking, the height is great in traffic to see ahead, and I "win" probably 98% of all merges - who do you think will "chicken out" first when it comes time to merge? The truck with sliders along the side and metal bumpers front and rear, or the S500? They pretty much forfeit the space.
you forgot to mention that for a brief moment they are in such amazment of such an awsume looking vehicle that it allows for you to have that extra second...
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
One advantage of Baltimore over NYC or DC is that it is dirt cheap to live in the city. This is for reasons you will find obvious when you move there.

Finding a dedicated parking garage for your truck will not be difficult.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post

You can always move to the Burbs and get a nice house.
I don't want to drive to work. I want to take the train and enjoy city life. If this happens I'll probably have to sell the Disco b/c I definitely can't own 3 cars in the city and I won't sell the Series.

------ Follow up post added August 15th, 2012 01:43 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
One advantage of Baltimore over NYC or DC is that it is dirt cheap to live in the city. This is for reasons you will find obvious when you move there.

Finding a dedicated parking garage for your truck will not be difficult.
I've grown up near Baltimore all my young life, I am well aware of the city and what it has to offer.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Definitely get a garage if you're worried about the security (plus the truck will be happier). People just walk around f'ing with people's cars, so I ended up just getting a garage and no complaints from me, since!

My buddy sent this to me yesterday morning. His 2 week old Jeep was sliced by some asshole overnight. He had camping gear in the back, which ALL was untouched - the guy (or girl) just felt like slicing his truck open!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3031710119.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	55810  
Old August 15th, 2012, 02:23 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
I definitely agree (for driving), when I had my Defender it could be harrowing, but it was great for maneuverability, parking and potholes. For security, I'm not so sure... you might want to add a battery switch of some kind though.
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
gliebig
Greg Liebig
95 D90

People are still moving into the city?

I kid.

But seriously.
Old August 15th, 2012, 03:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliebig View Post
People are still moving into the city?

I kid.

But seriously.
Of course, they have to replace the ones that are killed.
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:11 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
You can have your suburbs. That would be the death of me. I will only live 3 places. In the country (middle of nowhere), college towns and the city.
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:22 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Definitely get a garage if you're worried about the security (plus the truck will be happier). People just walk around f'ing with people's cars, so I ended up just getting a garage and no complaints from me, since!

My buddy sent this to me yesterday morning. His 2 week old Jeep was sliced by some asshole overnight. He had camping gear in the back, which ALL was untouched - the guy (or girl) just felt like slicing his truck open!
It is foolish to leave anything in plain sight in a soft top. IMO foolish to lock the doors as well. They probably sliced the window for the gear, then bolted when a car/person approached. It sucks, but that is the reality of the world we live in these days.
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:26 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I think it is the best car to drive in the city. Great view of traffic. like Josh said, I can cut lines, and see the flow miles ahead of everyone else. Potholes... not a problem.

The only problem is traffic and if your truck likes to overheat or you have no AC then its a problem.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:29 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
It is foolish to leave anything in plain sight in a soft top. IMO foolish to lock the doors as well. They probably sliced the window for the gear, then bolted when a car/person approached. It sucks, but that is the reality of the world we live in these days.
The coincidence is that he and I were at a party on Saturday and I was telling him to watch out for getting his windows slashed, and that even if my doors COULD lock, I would not lock them. This happened TWO days later.

You could be right about a car coming or something and them getting spooked, but to me, the way then sliced it at the top made it look like just some asshole going around slashing tops.

------ Follow up post added August 15th, 2012 04:33 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
The only problem is traffic and if your truck likes to overheat or you have no AC then its a problem.
I've been stuck in both the Holland and Lincoln tunnels for over 30 minutes a couple of times with a disabled car ahead, and I should add that in those instances, the Defender is also probably one of the worst cars to be in. It was hotter than hell, the fumes were terrible, and there was no respite from the constant terrible music I was stuck next to.
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
Driving a manual in the City is not so fun
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
You want quick access to the highway, so Canton, Fed Hill, Bolton, etc. I wouldn't worry in those neighborhoods. My colleague commutes here to Capitol Hill every day from Canton via commuter bus. He drives a 300SL or some schmidt and has never had a problem with it parked on the street. Parallel parkers who bash into your bumper, yes, but never any theft or vandalism.
He's looking to sell BTW. Has an awesome 5 story crib with a roof deck that has a breathtaking view of the city as well as being close to all the Canton action.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:41 PM
galen216
Galen Lentz
'98 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
You want quick access to the highway, so Canton, Fed Hill, Bolton, etc. I wouldn't worry in those neighborhoods. My colleague commutes here to Capitol Hill every day from Canton via commuter bus. He drives a 300SL or some schmidt and has never had a problem with it parked on the street. Parallel parkers who bash into your bumper, yes, but never any theft or vandalism.
He's looking to sell BTW. Has an awesome 5 story crib with a roof deck that has a breathtaking view of the city as well as being close to all the Canton action.
If the job goes through I think we are going to look in the Bolton area. Closest to the train station. The train station at BWI is right next to work. My goal is to not have to drive to work. My wife works from home so that isn't a problem either.

I have a hardtop Series, so no slashing to worry about, but no AC will mean only trips with a quick exit to the highway. My biggest concern will be if I have to work on it. If I plan in advance I have places to go, but if it breaks down I guess I repair it on the street?
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:06 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Josh, not gonna lie, you probably win 98% of merges no matter what you drive in.
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:05 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I've been stuck in both the Holland and Lincoln tunnels for over 30 minutes a couple of times with a disabled car ahead, and I should add that in those instances, the Defender is also probably one of the worst cars to be in. It was hotter than hell, the fumes were terrible, and there was no respite from the constant terrible music I was stuck next to.
I think you also just described wheeling at Rausch when driving behind Huff.

------ Follow up post added August 16th, 2012 12:07 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen216 View Post
My biggest concern will be if I have to work on it. If I plan in advance I have places to go, but if it breaks down I guess I repair it on the street?
Get AAA Plus, have it towed to NOVA (less than 100 miles), we have a wrenching party, you drive home .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
series, vin