Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
I'm on the fence about building up an AR10 or an AR15, been getting the itch as of late. I used to shoot a lot when i lived back in St. Louis but haven't shot much at all since moving to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia.. I'm leaning more towards the AR15 since i can get a .22 upper for it and let the kids have fun at the range, but i love sending .308 waaay down range. decisions, decisions..
Not to assume you don't have a good handle on the confusing, seemingly ever-changing; maybe we'll confiscate it, maybe we won't; assault weapons ban in California, but just in case: here is some historical, though slightly dated info from Calguns.net. (I am not as comfortable as some others here about the legality of pre-ban AR's in Kaliforniastan....)

Category 1. The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989
This was California’s first assault weapons act. Under this act, any firearm on a list specified in Penal Code
section 12276 is considered an assault weapon. Such assault weapons are controlled (i.e., may not be legally
purchased, kept for sale, offered for sale, exposed for sale, given, lent, manufactured, distributed, or imported)
after December 31, 1991, and were required to be registered as assault weapons with the Department of Justice
on or before March 31, 1992. In addition, the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act controlled AK and
AR-15 series assault weapons (Penal Code section 12276, subd (e) and (f) - see Category 2). These assault
weapons are controlled regardless of whether they have Category 3 (Penal Code section 12276.1 - SB 23)
characteristics. The only legal option for Category 1 assault weapons that were not registered on or before
March 31, 1992, is to surrender them to law enforcement pursuant to Penal Code section 12288.
Category 3. Generic Characteristics
As of January 1, 2000, Senate Bill 23 (Chapter 129, Statutes of 1999) provided that firearms that have characteristics
falling under any of the categories listed in Penal Code section 12276.1 are assault weapons. These
assault weapons were controlled as of January 1, 2000, and must have been registered as assault weapons with
the Department of Justice on or before December 31, 2000. However, a person arrested for possession of an
unregistered Category 3 assault weapon on or before December 31, 2001 could have registered it under conditions
specified in Penal Code section 12280(c) pursuant to reducing the charge to an infraction. On and after
January 1, 2002, the only legal option for Category 3 assault weapons that are not registered is to surrender
them to law enforcement pursuant to Penal Code section 12288. An exception for peace officers is addressed
on the next page.
Punishment
• Possession – Felony or misdemeanor -- (Penal Code § 12280(b))
Infraction under limited time and conditions -- (Penal Code § 12280(c))
• Manufacture, distribution, transportation, importation, sale, and transfer of assault weapons -- Felony.
(Penal Code § 12280(a))

Category 2. AK and AR-15 Series Weapons
The California Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of
1989 in Kasler v. Lockyer. This decision took effect August 16, 2000. Effective August 16, 2000, firearm
models that are variations of the AK or AR-15, with only minor differences from those two models, are assault
weapons under the original Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989. AK and AR-15 series weapons
were controlled as of August 16, 2000, and must have been registered as assault weapons with the Department
of Justice on or before January 23, 2001. The only legal option for Category 2 assault weapons that were
not registered on or before January 23, 2001, is to surrender them to law enforcement pursuant to Penal Code
section 12288. These assault weapons are controlled regardless of whether they have Category 3 (Penal Code
section 12276.1 - SB 23) characteristics.
Source(s):

http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak…

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/p…
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:34 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM View Post
Not to assume you don't have a good handle on the confusing, seemingly ever-changing; maybe we'll confiscate it, maybe we won't; assault weapons ban in California, but just in case: here is some historical, though slightly dated info from Calguns.net. (I am not as comfortable as some others here about the legality of pre-ban AR's in Kaliforniastan....)

Category 1. The Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989
This was California’s first assault weapons act. Under this act, any firearm on a list specified in Penal Code
section 12276 is considered an assault weapon. Such assault weapons are controlled (i.e., may not be legally
purchased, kept for sale, offered for sale, exposed for sale, given, lent, manufactured, distributed, or imported)
after December 31, 1991, and were required to be registered as assault weapons with the Department of Justice
on or before March 31, 1992. In addition, the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act controlled AK and
AR-15 series assault weapons (Penal Code section 12276, subd (e) and (f) - see Category 2). These assault
weapons are controlled regardless of whether they have Category 3 (Penal Code section 12276.1 - SB 23)
characteristics. The only legal option for Category 1 assault weapons that were not registered on or before
March 31, 1992, is to surrender them to law enforcement pursuant to Penal Code section 12288.
Category 3. Generic Characteristics
As of January 1, 2000, Senate Bill 23 (Chapter 129, Statutes of 1999) provided that firearms that have characteristics
falling under any of the categories listed in Penal Code section 12276.1 are assault weapons. These
assault weapons were controlled as of January 1, 2000, and must have been registered as assault weapons with
the Department of Justice on or before December 31, 2000. However, a person arrested for possession of an
unregistered Category 3 assault weapon on or before December 31, 2001 could have registered it under conditions
specified in Penal Code section 12280(c) pursuant to reducing the charge to an infraction. On and after
January 1, 2002, the only legal option for Category 3 assault weapons that are not registered is to surrender
them to law enforcement pursuant to Penal Code section 12288. An exception for peace officers is addressed
on the next page.
Punishment
• Possession – Felony or misdemeanor -- (Penal Code § 12280(b))
Infraction under limited time and conditions -- (Penal Code § 12280(c))
• Manufacture, distribution, transportation, importation, sale, and transfer of assault weapons -- Felony.
(Penal Code § 12280(a))

Category 2. AK and AR-15 Series Weapons
The California Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of
1989 in Kasler v. Lockyer. This decision took effect August 16, 2000. Effective August 16, 2000, firearm
models that are variations of the AK or AR-15, with only minor differences from those two models, are assault
weapons under the original Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989. AK and AR-15 series weapons
were controlled as of August 16, 2000, and must have been registered as assault weapons with the Department
of Justice on or before January 23, 2001. The only legal option for Category 2 assault weapons that were
not registered on or before January 23, 2001, is to surrender them to law enforcement pursuant to Penal Code
section 12288. These assault weapons are controlled regardless of whether they have Category 3 (Penal Code
section 12276.1 - SB 23) characteristics.
Source(s):

http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak…

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/p…

Yes, i did all my research before even looking at parts to put together an AR here in CA, the land of the bullet button and the 10 rnd magazine. Gotta have the "evil" features to make it tacticool...

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
If I could do it all over again I'd get an AR10 - its just a more versatile round IMO.
using what round?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
using what round?
AR10's are usually .308
Old November 30th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykokid View Post
AR10's are usually .308
It's been my experiance that 7.62 (308) is more common but that why I asked what cal. he was comparing.
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:02 PM
icurnmedic
Thomas Church
1994 Red D90

Anyone on here familiar w/ the FN Scar H, 7.62x 51(.308)? I want one I think. Got my sights set , pretty expensive, but seem to be the Alpha Male of AR's. Any input?
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icurnmedic View Post
Anyone on here familiar w/ the FN Scar H, 7.62x 51(.308)? I want one I think. Got my sights set , pretty expensive, but seem to be the Alpha Male of AR's. Any input?
Several of the SOF elements I was working beside in AF had some. They seemed to like them ok but I'm not sure-esp in a civilian capacity-I'd call them the alpha male of ARs. Different in many significant ways but if you have the coin it will certainly turn eyes at the range.

I never shot one, was always perfectly happy with my M4, but the aspect where they seemed to like it the most was the 7.62 variant to reach out a little further.
R-
Ray
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
If you have the cash and you want a nice rifle, look at LaRue Tactical. I've been more than pleased with my rifles from them. They are an AR platform which is pretty convenient for accessories. I strayed away from the FN due to accessory limitations.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fire