Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 14th, 2015, 09:08 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
LHD rear A/C from Rovers North

Pretty slick bit of kit from RN. Pricey, but ideal for an SW or 110! Pricey, but cool! (Pun intended) I'm not going to get one, but if I didn't have an ST, I might think about it.

http://www.roversnorth.com/ProductDe...EAR&type=0&eq=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-790691111.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	118377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2015, 11:53 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Maybe I'm not seeing something, but to me that double armrest thing is bizarre and fugly. I guess this adapted from another application, but that is one weird design choice. It seems like it would have been so simple to make it a traditional cubby shape instead of using two armrest from Star Trek enterprise deck chairs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 14th, 2015, 11:54 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I'm with ya on that point! I think the "lost in concept" was to match the rest of the LR vehicle seats with individual center armrests. Design by committee at its finest.

However, a nice idea would be another lockable cubby top, albeit a shallow one, instead of the rather worthless twin cubby armrests. I'm guessing the rest of the housing is full of secondary a/c components; blowers/hamster wheels/evaps/whatever...and no room for storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2015, 11:51 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I wonder if you could pull something like this out of its case and retrofit it into / under the center cubby?

Universal Under Dash AC Evaporator Underdash A C Air Conditioner Add on Unit | eBay
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 15th, 2015, 11:56 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, I'm sure it's full of gubbins, but it would have been so easy to make this not ugly. If it was disguised as a normal cubby, but with a tiny storage area on top, this would be totally ok.

Old April 15th, 2015, 12:09 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
I wonder if you could pull something like this out of its case and retrofit it into / under the center cubby? Universal Under Dash AC Evaporator Underdash A C Air Conditioner Add on Unit | eBay
I'm pretty sure that once someone could identify the necessary components necessary to interface with the existing a/c, they could build a system into there old "good looking" cubby for less than a third the cost.

I just never had thought of something like this rear a/c system before. Don't know why. It's such a "cool" idea and not that complicated. I just really like the concept and look of the vents and usb for the rear seats. As I said, if I had an SW, I'd be trying to reverse engineer this thing already.
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The big question is how should a second evaporator be incorporated into the existing system? Does the total evaporator size in the system relate to the condenser size?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Agreed, looks odd to me as well. I think form is barely keeping up with function.
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:22 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The big question is how should a second evaporator be incorporated into the existing system? Does the total evaporator size in the system relate to the condenser size?
That's my understanding. I'm going to ask my computer about that here in a minute.
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:40 PM
scrubs
henery

Gosh gosh 3K?
I thought on A/C once and gave the idea up but I was looking at Red Dot line for it.
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:45 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
lol I found this and had the same reaction. Its cool but its too much of an odd design to be worth the price tag

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat