Lhd conversion - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 1st, 2017, 11:16 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

Lhd conversion

Out of a morbid interest, I've begun looking into putting together a "plastics kit" and lower dash mod to convert your rhd to lhd. I have a local injection molding place interested in doing the nla plastic parts. I'm trying to look into a modified lower dash, either fabricated or some panels so that the buyer could switch it themselves easy enough. The upgrade would be trying to make the vent switching on both sides out of metal so that I could wrap them in vinyl and not break them off my dash, have them crack, warp, etc... I'd don't want this conversion to look Frankenstein like. I want it to look like a original lhd...

Anyway, I have no idea on price. Obviously as cheap as possible. Is there a demand for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2017, 11:21 AM
CJ's FJ
CJ
1985 90

Registry
I'd have an interest.
Old September 1st, 2017, 11:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What parts are NLA ? I have been able to buy everthing as recently as this summer.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2017, 12:07 PM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

A couple of the plastic pieces I entered numbers for on lrdirect came up as not being available. Some of them were available at a ridiculous cost. So, I guess I should change that to nlra (no longer realistically avail). Unless you have a better source?? My goal would be something that might cost $1000 or so. I guess people could troll for sale threads, but it would be nice to have a bunch on hand that someone can order a "kit" whenever they want, not waiting for 6 months collecting parts or getting lucky on the for sale thread....
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
#'s come up NLA because they have superceded. Everything is still readily available, but not for $1k. The Lower dash is currently $1.7k for a new one.
I just bumped an old thread with the current parts #'s and links.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat