Lets see your winch bumpers! - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM
littlehandegan
Jack
68 Series 2a

Bump. Anyone have any shots of the Rovers North Winch Bumper with LED Lights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehandegan View Post
Lots of them out there: LMGTFY
Old June 28th, 2017, 02:54 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehandegan View Post
I bought the Rovers North winch bumper because it looked to be a good price for a galvanized bumper that was essentially what I would design if I was going to (and I was about to) have one built for me.

It is medium duty, seems well built, but I kind of think the high lift tubes down below look iffy. Like they should be a little more... stealthy. The lights seem like a good addition, but not needed. And it will fit a winch with the extra A/C type grill. I plan on cutting out two, two-inch holes for the winch to sit under, along the bottom edge of the grill surrounds.

HOWEVER! There is a problem.

• First, this is the 7th or 8th item that has been shipped to me in the past year, from various vendors, that has come with some kind of problem.
  • Second, it took at least two weeks before it was shipped, and another week and a half to get to me. In the mean time, a box from the UK took 5 days from time of order.
  • Third, once I got the bumper, and put it into place, the upper and lower mounting tabs that slide onto the frame are spaced about .75" FURTHER apart than the frame is tall. This means that there is a .75" gap below the frame, and if you tighten down on the bolts, this will cause the bumper to bend upwards to the frame, then be crushed backwards as the bolt is tightened.
  • Fourth, if you mount it as such, the bumper will pull itself down, off of level. This has the effect of looking stupid, and also has the effect of causing the two horizontal frame bolt holes to not line up with the hole on the frame.
  • Fifth, the bumper is designed to fit a steering guard. The rear mounting tabs along the inside of the frame rails are spaced out just right so that you can fit the steering guard frame mounts in there and bolt the whole thing up as one piece. However, the recovery loops at the front, bottom of the bumper get in the way of the said steering guard, so you can't use a steering guard, but you have to use a steering guard, or it won't mount right.
  • Sixth, it took a while to get RN to respond. I went back and forth with them for two weeks on email. I don't know why they couldn't understand the problem, but it came down to the last email was just: Call me. But because I work in a place where I don't' have cell coverage good enough to carry on a conversation, and since I only get 10-15 minutes for lunch, it took around 4 more weeks before I was able to reach them on the phone. Now I am waiting to hear back from them as they told me they were going to pull a bumper from the shelf and see how it fits a frame they have at the shop. But that was Saturday.
So, I'd say to hold off on buying that one till I get back to you on what is going on with it. It is disappointing that even if they come back and tell me there is nothing wrong with the bumper, I will have to have special spacers made to make it fit properly. And even then, I won't be able to use the steering guard I already have, and I have no idea which steering guard might actually work. If there is something wrong with the bumper, then I have to send it back, this takes a lot of time, effort, and will negate all the savings I thought I was getting in the first place. This is pretty much the way the whole year of this project has been for me. And people keep asking why it's taking so long!

Here are pics: https://www.flickr.com/gp/bhcmbailey/Td0KD9

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2017, 11:49 PM
Cajun
G
1987 110

Did a RockWare after the LS swap. Still need to finish this build at some point this Summer.

Might steal the Warn and synthetic rope off my wife's truck when she's not looking

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3273198309.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1,015.0 KB
ID:	264554
Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:56 AM
Orb
Ed
none

Husky winch Mantec bumper '92 110 200tdi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170702_103430.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	264850   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170702_103510.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	264858  

Old July 3rd, 2017, 12:52 PM
mdubs
Matt
1986 Tithonus Defender 110 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Is this what you are looking for?

Anyone know the brand of this winch? Is the bumper a normal OEM bumper?

EDIT: Can't re-post the picture right now. It's post #59 in this thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
winch