Lets mess with picture pirates! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:54 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Thumbs up Lets mess with picture pirates!

So today I was scrolling through the vast array of reporting tools that are now available to me on the sites new server (thank you again Charles!!) and I start seeing some interesting traffic activity, like sites that are hot-linking pictures back here to the site consuming our bandwidth.

Case in point:
D-90 Source article submitted by Mike Hammond: http://www.defendersource.com/mod/side_tank/index.html
vs
Stolen article (I think because I cant read the page) but defiantly stolen pictures from here. They didn't even bother to upload them as their own, they are currently hot-linked back to the article here on the this site to display on their page: http://www.eldefender.com/TALLER/tabid/56/Default.aspx

Now I can see some thing about the D-90 Source but thats about all I understand there.. did they even give credit to Mike Hammond?

Anyway, there is a hot linking protection feature here on the server but before I turn it on, I was kind of digging the idea of some minor evil picture swaps to punish the thieves.

hm mm

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:59 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Rock On Cvc!!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I've showed you my pics I use for this. I won't link them here as I don't want to scar people's retinas like I did yours.
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes, please dont. I just had to wash down with Scope mouthwash just to feel clean again after seeing those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:01 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I don't do what you described, but in theory after giving it some thought, don't we all kind of do this when we see something relevant? We just give a quick link "hit" to it? I don't know. If someone was intentionally trying to save bandwidth by doing this, then that is uncool. If they are just passing on some knowledge or info, then that is kind of what I like about the net--it is easy to do. I am more of a free-range kind of guy, as long as the motivation is genuine and innocent.

If it is not genuine or innocent, then lets fry the bastard. I recently was sent some very naked, very hairy shots of "things" that I don't even want to descibe more...excuse me....ohhh....that I could send you if need be.

I think there is a difference between the two scenarios, though...
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

you guys are way too nice, on the other forums that i'm a member of, they would certainly post the most raunchy thing possible...

there can be some serious carnage when the pictures are hotlinked for ebay auctions, and myspace, it's great!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Who was it that said "beware the wrath of a patient man"?

I say nuke 'em.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:27 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I think that "nice" is kind of what sets us apart. I have been to Pirate, Discoweb, ect. and they are traditionally assholes. Now, I know a lot of you here go there, and so do I from time to time (and some of what goes on there technically is excellent) what I like about HERE is the absence of B.S.. If it is up to be, I would keep it that way. Usually here, when you straighten someone out, they either leave or shape up. I dig that. I have been prone to drunken posts, and I usually end up apologizing. This is D-90/civil. Kind of makes me feel like river dancing.... (Boondock for those that don't know, smiles for those that do)
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
road1will
Will Roeder
95 D90 ST, 98 D1 on 35s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
Kind of makes me feel like river dancing.... (Boondock for those that don't know, smiles for those that do)
Best movie ever
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:24 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Even better than the Spice Girls movie?

Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:37 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
I think that "nice" is kind of what sets us apart. I have been to Pirate, Discoweb, ect. and they are traditionally assholes. Now, I know a lot of you here go there, and so do I from time to time (and some of what goes on there technically is excellent) what I like about HERE is the absence of B.S.. If it is up to be, I would keep it that way. Usually here, when you straighten someone out, they either leave or shape up. I dig that. I have been prone to drunken posts, and I usually end up apologizing. This is D-90/civil. Kind of makes me feel like river dancing.... (Boondock for those that don't know, smiles for those that do)

You're right, you reminded me why I hang out here. Have the nukes launched?
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I have no problem messing those who are not our own. If they want to play here great come & register.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
You're right, you reminded me why I hang out here. Have the nukes launched?
haha.. no, nothing has been done yet. Most likely I will just turn on the anti-hotlinking widget but I havent tested what that does yet.

Quote:
[/size]
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
C'mon. Just replace one of those pictures with the d-90 thong from Cafe press for a little while.... It would be a hoot.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

haha.. good idea

Quote:
[/size]
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:11 PM
SYoung
Steve
94 D-90 #8
D-90 Source Vendor

I turned on the anti-hotlinking widget on my site and it broke a lot of stuff- make a good backup. I went ahead and left hotlinking on and just watch the reports. Every once in a while I bulk change all the image file names.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:03 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Just change all the images to a image with the URL of d-90.com. Should be easy to do. I do it all the time on my site with .htaccess and ReWrite rules.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:22 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
C'mon. Just replace one of those pictures with the d-90 thong from Cafe press for a little while.... It would be a hoot.

That sounds like a reasoned response.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I say NUKE THEM!

Or what Dave said
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

You're just downright plain devious, Chris, and I like it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat