Let's Build a Defender Factory - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 10th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Angry Let's Build a Defender Factory

Hey... All respects to our British cousins...But I am sick of waiting for their "mercy." Lets build a new vehicle that takes the best from a Defender (looks), Toyota (drive train and electronics), and maybe GMC (diesel Hummer engine). Let's call it the "Boston" or the "Rebel", or "Yank" (Errr, maybe not) and export it back to them. Two models and combos of the 110 and 90 (soon to be the 93) with choice of standard and manual trans.

Let's just give it three more inches of leg room. I've seen some tall Brits but the rest looked like pale extras for the Lord of the Rings, and they still fit under the 4 foot ceiling joists in their 300 year old pubs. (There's a revenge shot for Rob, my rude neighbor in the UK and "Joe-the-Canadian" who both wanted to kick my ass in a pub after inviting me for a "friendly" pint - ambush)

There is no way I am selling my D but I am really starting to get irritated about spares (NLA, discontinued etc.) I have 136,000 miles on my truck and am already looking for a replacement engine. I just found out that my D has a Buick engine in it... Huh? My Defender education continues but I thought they would have some exotic Rolls Royce derivative from the Spitfire (Aircraft).

I've seen the traffic on 300TDI questions. I've seen other engine issues that accelerate my frustration. It is absolutely counter intuitive and downright dumb/moronic etc for the DOT or any other agency to discourage diesels at this point in the game.

So Ford owns LR. Duh. Did we sell Ford? Hmm, American. Hey Ford...Wake up and smell the coffee. You dumb asses. Anybody from Ford on here that will admit it? You have six months to give us a prototype or I'll run this idea to the last keystroke. And I don't mean throwing something that looks like a mini Scion or Jeep Commander on an Escape frame, with an external roll cage.

I am tired of seeing cars that a wind tunnel tested for 300 Mph that blow a gasket doing 75 Mph. The Japanese seem to be doing that now. Hey...the egg, suppository, phalic design is OUT. The leggo look isn't catching my fancy either.

Here's an icon that isn't in the library yet...Meant for LRNA and LRUK ( o )

No politics please. I just read a one thread full of horseshit. Business/design ideas only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I've thought about this before (as I'm sure everyone has), and actually took the idea of building trucks to my boss (I mean, what's the wait at ECR now?). The demand is definately there. In VA we can (basically) make any vehicle we want and as long as a police officer deems it road worthy it can be called a kit/hotrod car. Now I know there is more to it than that, but I have often thought about sitting down and starting the CADD drawings for a vehicle I'd like to build.

I guess I'm saying, "I'm in". Don't know what I can bring to the table though. I'm not really a mechanic.
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Check into buying the existing Defender assembly line. It shoudn't cost too much, it dates back to the 50's. And soon LR will not be using it. Only problem would be the zillion dollar multistage press that punches out the body parts. It ain't goin' nowhere.
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

It is being done allready in the Rock Buggy World. Its not cheap. Poison Spider Customs in Denver makes buggies here, and they are nice. Tube frame and all, If you use new components Axels Brakes Motors Etc. Its REAL expensive.

Poison Spider sells there rock buggies for $100K to $150. They are mostly a promotional tool for Clifton. They make there money building and selling aftermarket parts Sliders Corners Cages Etc. For the Jeep guys, not from building buggies.
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:23 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
Poison Spider sells there rock buggies for $100K to $150.
What did the last ECR 110 go for at Copley?
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:03 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

This thread doesn't have a clue.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:11 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy

JP
I agree. Dont know what I was thinking when I posted.

Feel free to
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:

JP
LOL Pendy. You are a "name" in the D world so I respect the note of discontent. Any idea how many times I've heard that my ideas were whacky before I did the impossible? My first post was a rant. There will not be any more. Six months and the research and planning begin. May stop at research...

Idea may be dead right now... Is LR going to reintroduce the Defender or not?
Old February 11th, 2007, 09:53 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

when my family was building up our FJ40 we ran into a guy in pa who used to be a fj restorer, had a company with a few employees and a few partners, well the bodies on fj's are basically tin cans and rust out horribly, so they decided to start producing new fj40 tubs out of steel (you can already get alluminum and fiberglass. Long story short they built one fj40 tub and fenders and it bankrupted them right out of business.
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Monkeyboy

Whadya want this vapourware defender to do?

Maybe ... http://www.bowler-offroad.com/Nemesis/Choiceindex.htm ... or seemingly a little simpler ... http://www.tomcatmotorsport.co.uk/

Seems that there are plenty of coilers that need a rebuild already here. Hell I've got a thirteen year old Disco in the garage that could freshening up.
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:12 PM
DBZ2009
Z
ex-1994 D90/ 2 j**ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Check into buying the existing Defender assembly line. It shoudn't cost too much, it dates back to the 50's. And soon LR will not be using it. Only problem would be the zillion dollar multistage press that punches out the body parts. It ain't goin' nowhere.

You could do this but it would cost a fortune. If anybody has a couple hundred million dollars they are willing to dispose of you could buy the rights to the defender line and open up your own factory in the USA. Do whatever you want to the damn things, change the name, have dana axles, good electronics, chevy engines, etc. etc.
Old February 12th, 2007, 09:25 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:

JP
So what's new? It's the "when will Defenders return to the US" line of thought.
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCIDd90
You could do this but it would cost a fortune. If anybody has a couple hundred million dollars they are willing to dispose of you could buy the rights to the defender line and open up your own factory in the USA. Do whatever you want to the damn things, change the name, have dana axles, good electronics, chevy engines, etc. etc.
Yep, there are several folks in the US who have started their own Defender factories. They usually stop at making one. Some are dumb enough to try for two. A few rare ducks have built 3 or more.
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I'll make you a deal. There is a surefire way I can reduce the total opportunity cost of this project.

Rather than wasting millions up front followed by sunk cost chasing; investing a year plus in time and effort; enduring the frustration, head aches, hurry up and wait followed by need it yesterday urgency, let's just cut right to the chase.

1. Determine how much cash you are willing to invest up front.

2. Write a check in that amount to me.

3. Never think of a Defender, much less any Land Rover, again.

Sure, this sounds completely crazy. But in two years time, and certainly in ten years time, you will thank me so much, writing that amount with 25% more would still seem like a bargain.

Free from the loss of time, additional investment, and frustration, you will likely go into your next project with enough preserved measure of ability and resource to actually make a real success.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, factory