Old January 11th, 2007, 11:59 AM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham
THINK ABOUT THIS FOR A MOMENT.

Posted a couple days too late :D

Certain counties have been declared eligable for FEMA and other Federal funds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2007, 12:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow"

Average january storm for buffalo south towns. Wimps.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:11 PM
aloharover
Peter
1970 Series IIa 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
Picked up a new attachment for the Ventrac and sure glad I did. I just heard the latest forecast for Winter Storm #4 here in the foothills of CO... wonder if I can rig it up on the front of the D90? Any links for assembling a P.T.O. on a Rover?
!
This is actually the #5 big storm if you count Octobers, and will be the 6th snow in the Springs counting the 5-6" we got in November. We have had about 54" total so far at the house. Some of the drifts in the yard are still over 36" tall. Yesterday it had to have been close to 60 out. Was in a t-shirt working in the yard.

Regarding the PTO, it depends on the tranny/xfer combo that you have in the vehicle. On the Series you can get a PTO to plug into both the back of the xfer and one that replaces the bottom cover. Both options can be found with dual outputs, front and rear.

I know that there are PTOs for the LT230. Most likely need to find a source from the UK, but I know that George at RDs has gotten ahold of them before. Another source would be Wise Owl.

Another option would be to find a hydro powered blower and then run a second pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2007, 12:09 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"blizzard of up to 44" inches of snow"

Average january storm for buffalo south towns. Wimps.
True, that area does get more snow on average but that area is miniscule in comparison to the massive areas affected by this storm- New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and parts of Oklahoma.

Furthermore, 44" of snow in combination with 90mph winds across miles of open plains is crippling and makes for drifts of historical depths not often seen anywhere on the East Coast.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
True, that area does get more snow on average but that area is miniscule in comparison to the massive areas affected by this storm- New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and parts of Oklahoma.

Furthermore, 44" of snow in combination with 90mph winds across miles of open plains is crippling and makes for drifts of historical depths not often seen anywhere on the East Coast.
Too true, Matt.

Two weeks ago I was seeing drifts up to 15' deep. Today I was going through places that were still 6-7 feet. And now it's settled and harder to move. To make matters worse, the ground underneath has been insulated, so although it never got over 10 degrees today, the ground underneath was muddy. What a mess. I got to two pastures we hadn't been able to reach over the last two weeks. I should have seen a couple hundred cattle and I saw eight. Even the antelope are wearing down. I found four dead ones today. What a horrible, helpless feeling. We've been busting our butts, through some really inhospitable conditions, and it's just not going to be enough. It's very disheartening.
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

More snow there than in the high country!
Old January 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
More snow there than in the high country!
No kidding. We keep getting skunked. The 13" storm that we were supposed to get today turned out to be only 2". Meanwhile, it's snowing in Texas.

It's damned cold here, though. -16 deg F tonight. Do you miss your drop curtain?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Amazingly enough.... 3 weeks since my last post on this thread and we're still feeding cattle....by snowmobile. I put on about 150 miles today. Without the snowmobiles they'd all be dead.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
Amazingly enough.... 3 weeks since my last post on this thread and we're still feeding cattle....by snowmobile. I put on about 150 miles today. Without the snowmobiles they'd all be dead.

Do you have any idea how many have starved in that area (%). Have you been seeing coyotes or small game?
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Do you have any idea how many have starved in that area (%). Have you been seeing coyotes or small game?
No, Randy, I don't. My friends I've been helping still don't have a handle on their losses yet. There are still cows dying on their place. They are getting feed regularly now, but the time they spent living on sticks and cactus is taking its toll. I've heard some bad stories in the area. Feedlots with big losses, and some people who may have lost the majority of their stock. The people in those circumstances, understandably, don't want to talk about it.

I've seen a few coyotes, and the cow carcasses I see have all been eaten on. There's a government trapper in the area shooting coyotes from a supercub, so their numbers are down anyway. Lots of bobcat tracks, but I haven't seen one. The Scalies (you might call them blues) are probably all but wiped out. None of the coveys have shown up where I expected to see them. Jackrabbits are everywhere.

I don't know where you are, but I heard the panhandle was hit pretty hard. I hope thats not you.
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I'm in NE Ok, we've had more snow and ice than I've seen in a long time. Lots of people east of here were without power for as much as 2 weeks because of tree limbs with too much ice. I haven't been out there yet but they say it looks pretty bad.

It's tough for us rifle guys to compete with the slow airplanes & 12 gauge shotguns for the coyotes. I guess the jackrabbits will survive anything.

The panhandle ranchers have lost a lot of stock, as of about a week and a half ago I saw some of them on the local news. They still hadn't been able to get hay to some pastures and the National Gaurd had gone home.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

HA,HA! I tubed my last coyote pelt when the prices went in the crapper. I miss whackin 'em, but I don't miss skinnin 'em! You're calling I guess, that's an art I never quite mastered, good on ya. Snuffer, eh? Now I get it.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
HA,HA! I tubed my last coyote pelt when the prices went in the crapper. I miss whackin 'em, but I don't miss skinnin 'em! You're calling I guess, that's an art I never quite mastered, good on ya. Snuffer, eh? Now I get it.

You're the first person that has ever figured out the nickname.

Nothing better than stumbling onto a prairie dog town in the Wy. outback.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

We simply must get together to talk shop some day.
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Rod...That PIC of the Coon humping that hound cracks me up every time I see it.

As for snow...I don't like that shit to begin with. But being on the lucky side of the street the winds piled at least 6-8 foot drifts on my yard and most of the street...from the first blizzard.

My buddy lives up at Kenosha pass and they were snowed in for four days last week. Drifts as high as his house. C'mon Global Warming!
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
We simply must get together to talk shop some day.

I'll look you up on my way out there this year, usually mid June.

Shake, that picture is symbiosis with a twist. LOL
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Devin W
Devin Walton
None

Time to thaw out!

The last little patch of snow has melted off of my lawn where it was piled nearly 5 feet high only a matter of weeks ago!

The radiator muff came off today!

Took the Ducati out for a ride yesterday afternoon.

Looks like it'll hit the low 70's today!

The downside: I only made out on the snowboard once this winter.

Old March 13th, 2007, 01:12 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin W
The downside: I only made out on the snowboard once this winter.
CHEER UP little camper, there is still plenty of snow on top. A-Basin will stay open until June, and you can always hike for turns through July.

There are plenty of March , April and even May snow storms yet to come. We had a powder day 8 days ago!
Old March 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Just got back from Vail and the snow was great relative to this year's snowfall in the high country...we even got some powder on Saturday...Sunday sunny 50* and blue sky was hard to beat.
Old March 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

WHoooo you couldn't even call your buddy so we can hook up? Ok I see how you are

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat