LED Light bars Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 12th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Jason Bullis
1986 110, 1994 NAS 90 #1810, 2006 L
LED Light bars Question

I currently am having Rockware build a front bumper for my 90. Matt is going to put on tabs to mount a light bar. I have been studying for weeks what type of light to get. I have communicated with Ash about the Baja Designs lights, I don't know if I want a 20" light bar. Or go with 2 something like the squadron pros.

I would like to get some feedback, I will be using this light to wheel with at night and want enough light to see well, also to supplement the headlights while on the road.
I want to get the most quality for my money, and don't want to throw money that I don't need to away. If you have pictures mounted please post too.

Thanks in advance...

Old July 12th, 2015, 12:06 PM
72 + D1 drivetrain
LED light bars are poseur equipment that spread light in every direction, blinding and pissing off everyone in front of you. If you want LED just go with spot lights.

Old July 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
Ash Heller
6.0 LS 110
D-90 Source Vendor
That's an awfully broad statement, Chris. Most, if not all, of the Chinese light bars have poorly engineered reflectors and terrible beam patterns that aren't useful for much more than close field illumination and 'looking the part'. With that said, there are a few US-based manufacturers that make LED lights, whether a bar or pod, that will considerably outperform a halogen auxiliary light. Reflector shape is everything, and the right design will put the light exactly where you want it. Shoot me a PM if you'd like a loaner to test out and see for yourself!

As for blinding people, the LED's are exceedingly bright but I wouldn't suggest running any auxiliary lights under normal driving conditions with traffic.

Geared Restoration Co.
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:23 AM
95 D1
If you want to use them on the street, you need to get a set that are SAE/DOT compliant so the light stays put in a safe-for-road-use pattern. Even a small 20" bar is BRIGHT. My 40" is 22,000 lumens and is BLINDING when you look at it. It does not get used on the street.

Rigid has a set of 6" LED driving lamps

SAE Compliant Driving Light Set (E-Series 6") OE Cool... | Rigid Industries

Here's a reference picture, just to show how bright they can be (in my old Jeep) compared to upgraded headlight housings, wiring, and lamps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat