Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 4th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Rover110
Steve
1993 Defender 110 NAS #472

I looked at Baja. Would love to but bank wouldn't approve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
I used to work in the LED industry. Not in this application, but one with similar technology. The best brand, imho, is Baja Designs. But, they're expensive. Given how long LED 's last, and how many hours they are used in an automotive application, there isn't much value in loading tons of tech into a light that will probably get destroyed. I have a couple of Lifetime bars on my buggy with a couple Xtreme LED pods. My 110 will get the Xtreme treatment all the way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

You get what you pay for with a lot of the LED's that are out on the market these days. The budget China bars use lower quality LED chips that are 'seconds' which are less consistent in color and light output, which helps keep the prices down. While they may be advertised as having CREE LED's, it's not a 1:1 comparison with what the high end bars are using.

Reflectors also make all the difference in the world, as they're what aim the light down range. The cheap bars often use poor quality reflectors, both in design and reflective coating, which throws a lot of light to places that are of no benefit to the driver, and can also result in 'hot' or 'cold' spots.

The above, plus the overall quality of construction and thus longevity of the bar make the difference between an auxiliary light that is decent, or downright awesome.

I'm a dealer for Baja Designs and can offer some solid discounts over most of the guys out there. The performance their products offer is unreal, and I have only had a single QC issue with a light that was sealed improperly which they replaced with zero questions asked. I'm a fan.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 4th, 2015, 06:29 PM
MM3846
Adam
95 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyRover View Post
They all come on at the same time, usually the spots are in the center of the bar, and the floods are on the ends. So you get a great spread of light in front of you.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
I used to work in the LED industry. Not in this application, but one with similar technology. The best brand, imho, is Baja Designs. But, they're expensive. Given how long LED 's last, and how many hours they are used in an automotive application, there isn't much value in loading tons of tech into a light that will probably get destroyed.

I have a couple of Lifetime bars on my buggy with a couple Xtreme LED pods. My 110 will get the Xtreme treatment all the way around.
Baja designs is no way worth the giant step up in price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2015, 06:39 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
What Ash said is 100% spot-on. They call it "binning" in LED-speak. You can advertise it as a Cree XPG, or whatever, but if it's not out of the best bin (more $$), the quality won't be consistent, nor will the color.

What makes Baja more expensive is the thermal protection built into the circuitry. Heat kills LEDs. Having active thermal management will extend the lifespan. Using higher quality LEDs will yield more lumens with the proper color. IIRC, Baja uses a lot of TIR (total internal reflector) lenses. These are more efficient, and of course, more expensive. The products I sold used these same technologies with great success.

For my buggy application, there is a high probability of roll-over and light bar damage. I'd rather not destroy a big-dollar light bar. I can afford to replace the cheaper ones if I have to.

It's all a trade-off. You can compromise on color, longevity, and efficiency for price. You always get what you pay for. The question is, do you get more than you need.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:47 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
They're prime targets for street theft so make sure you have them secured.
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
A quick little spot weld works pretty well if you're in a bad area. Most light bars let you replace the hardware so you can use new bolts if you have to take it off.
Old January 4th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

There's also security hardware out there to make it a bit more difficult.

-Ash

352-572-3236

Old January 4th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Rover110
Steve
1993 Defender 110 NAS #472

I'll look at Baja again and make contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
You get what you pay for with a lot of the LED's that are out on the market these days. The budget China bars use lower quality LED chips that are 'seconds' which are less consistent in color and light output, which helps keep the prices down. While they may be advertised as having CREE LED's, it's not a 1:1 comparison with what the high end bars are using. Reflectors also make all the difference in the world, as they're what aim the light down range. The cheap bars often use poor quality reflectors, both in design and reflective coating, which throws a lot of light to places that are of no benefit to the driver, and can also result in 'hot' or 'cold' spots. The above, plus the overall quality of construction and thus longevity of the bar make the difference between an auxiliary light that is decent, or downright awesome. I'm a dealer for Baja Designs and can offer some solid discounts over most of the guys out there. The performance their products offer is unreal, and I have only had a single QC issue with a light that was sealed improperly which they replaced with zero questions asked. I'm a fan. -Ash
Old January 4th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
There's also security hardware out there to make it a bit more difficult.

-Ash

Ash, you're too pampered down there in the south. Up here any and all hardware just corrodes to the point of making it impossible to remove...
Old January 4th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Ash, you're too pampered down there in the south. Up here any and all hardware just corrodes to the point of making it impossible to remove...

Well you're not doing yourself any favors with that MIG gun! Haha I used to weld the mounting hardware on all of my winches before they finally came out with security hardware for them. It certainly works.

-Ash

------ Follow up post added January 4th, 2015 09:14 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover110 View Post
I'll look at Baja again and make contact.
Here's a terrible series of iPhone pictures that I took a while back, demonstrating the Baja Designs 15" OnX bar on top of a pair of JW Speaker LED headlights. The JW's have a fantastic low-beam, but the high-beam leaves an awful lot to be desired, which is why we supplemented them with the bar.

Low:

High:

High with the bar:

And just for fun, this is their 50" bar with no other lights on.

352-572-3236

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat