Lawn Tethers (anchored into ground) for Dogs - Random Thread Warning - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 19th, 2013, 05:38 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So Spring and Summer are coming and that means we'll be heading out of the city a bunch for the weekend and vacations, and bringing the dog along. He's getting better at sticking around when we're outside, but we still like the comfort of having him on a tether when we're outside because he has a tendency to BOLT when he sees a squirrel or any other type of animal. Last year we used my gf's parents' tether that they had used for years for their 100 lb comatose white golden retriever, but it had never been really tested for an athletic and energetic dog like we have.

It included a spiral stake that went into the ground (stainless steel I think), 50' of cable that hurt like a MOTHER when he bolted past and the cable went tight, safety extension spring (I think this made it the entire Summer), and a mix of "heavy duty" (for large dogs) thumb snaps, that he ripped through all in a day or two. He likes to go into the water, he obviously like to run and roll around. The cable was really a pain in the ass because whenever he rolled around (for hours) the cable would get more and more wound, and would end up wound around him.

Questions:
-Has anyone built their own lawn tethers? I started piecing a strong kit together on parts from McMaster-Carr but it's getting stupid expensive
-Are there kits out there for larger dogs that peope know about? I was doing some searching, but mostly just see these POS things. This is on the right track, but steel rope is a pain in the ass to pack up.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Dog-Tie-...awn+dog+tether

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Pet-Prest...awn+dog+tether

Requirements:
-Easy to pack and transport - compact.
-Expandable. I'd probably like to have 50' and then be able to just link in another 50-100' feet when I want. Cable sucks for packing.
-Lawn Anchor. Some of the areas we go aren't great for depending on trees to anchor him. He broke through the lawn (cork screw) anchor from Home Depot last year.
-Spring loaded. It needs to slow him down gradually the last few inches so that it's not a pure jolt.
-STRONG!! Last year he broke through the lawn anchor (stainless steel spiral stake I think), multiple snaps that were rated for "big dogs" and probably some other stuff. I think the only things that survived were the spring and the cable itself
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2143272086.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	68468   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2678891541.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	68469  

Name:	image-50124419.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	68470  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

One trick I know that works is using your leash that is of fixed length and tying a block of wood to the end of it. Round the edges if you want, he just used a short piece of landscaping wood that has the rounded edges. Dog would run and after ten feet or so the block would bounce up and clock him. After that afternoon he started to bolt a lot less and after a few days that was it. He never took off again.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
snap swivels on either end will keep the cable from twisting up. My barn/shop is right up on a country road so when I'm up there I usually tether the dog so I don't have to worry about her getting hit. The tether I use is a commercially made one, not sure where it came from but its substantial and have used it with a couple of different dogs. Cable is only 20 feet though.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Tree saver and your recovery strap, you did say it was a big dog.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:35 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Climbing rope will have some elasticity to it and be easier to pack. The corkscrew is really the best option if there isn't a tree around.

Work with him to not bolt but prey drive is hard to stop. Shock collar if you want- remote option typically has a tone, vibration and then a shock. May not need to get to the shock option if you use enough positive reward for the tone and vibration.

Good luck. We had a Rottie with a ridiculous prey drive and ability to get out of anything.
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I have a e-collar for my dog

A few shots with that and you'd be surprised how good that fucker can stay right by your side.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
I have a e-collar for my dog

A few shots with that and you'd be surprised how good that fucker can stay right by your side.
So true. I have a training collar on my 11 month old dog and the few times I have bumped her it was on the first setting out of ten. The first time I waited until she took off chasing a car. I yell no, zap, yelp. Haven't had that problem again. Next it was chasing pregnant cows in the field 50 yards from the house. No,zap,yelp. Now she's content to bark @ them from the yard side of the fence. Now when she's doing something she knows is wrong she catches herself-looks back @ me and my hand on the remote and immediately stops without even have to hear a tone.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 19th, 2013, 10:19 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
So true. I have a training collar on my 11 month old dog and the few times I have bumped her it was on the first setting out of ten. The first time I waited until she took off chasing a car. I yell no, zap, yelp. Haven't had that problem again. Next it was chasing pregnant cows in the field 50 yards from the house. No,zap,yelp. Now she's content to bark @ them from the yard side of the fence. Now when she's doing something she knows is wrong she catches herself-looks back @ me and my hand on the remote and immediately stops without even have to hear a tone.
What system/equipment are you using?

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2013 09:21 PM ------

Thats just wrong Jeff....
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Next it was chasing pregnant cows in the field 50 yards from the house.
It's amazing that when you say that you actually mean cows.

My only real concern with the e-collars is that most of the houses we go to are on the water, and so far I haven't seen any of those collars that specifically say they are rated for it. I know the idea is that they learn very quickly from the collar and therefore the collar is no longer needed, but my dog is seriously super stupid.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:48 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I know it may be a bit of a cliche. But you may want to watch some of those episodes that that dog whisper has. Goes by the name of Ceaser something or another. His technique is solid and he does not go for any of that bullshit voodoo crap that other pet professionals go in for. For him dogs are dogs and he has no problem putting a shock collar on them.
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:59 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
We use a citronella bark collar on our Dane. Sprays it when she barks- no remote. It broke 4 years ago. She still doesn't bark when she has it on.

It's operant conditioning to decrease or increase the selected behavior. Hot dogs, cheese, beer- pick a treat worth it and work on a really strong re-call behavior. Or get a collar and condition a very adverse stimuli. Most of the collars have some form of water resistance to them since they are primarily used for hunt training.

Or tie him the chair of people you don't like.
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
What system/equipment are you using?

SportDog SD400 Field trainer. About $145 most places.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
It's amazing that when you say that you actually mean cows.

My only real concern with the e-collars is that most of the houses we go to are on the water, and so far I haven't seen any of those collars that specifically say they are rated for it. I know the idea is that they learn very quickly from the collar and therefore the collar is no longer needed, but my dog is seriously super stupid.
Yes Josh I moved to a farm and there are about 30 angus outside my window with more coming as soon as the miles of new electrified high tensile fencing project is finished. I did my time in your world. I had an office on Avenue of the America's (aka 6th)when I was with Chase Manhattan. Then there was my time with AIG....

I killed a bunch of training collars by putting them on my dogs when my house was on salt water there @ Annapolis. Most of the companies will replace the collar once and told me to pack sand when the second would fail. They all have an on/off button and a charging port and the only way to protect those is with rubber covers.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 19th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Ground or tree tethers always fail. One day on a whim I went home for lunch and was greeted by my English Setter bounding around the corner. I'm just amazed she stayed near the house.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 20th, 2013, 02:35 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

I have a 2.5 year old Doberman who was dumb as a rock when I got him. PO kept him penned up in a town house in Richmond. He lost his mind when he came here with our collection of cows/horses/goats/geese etc. I invested lot of time with him, and finally picked up the same collar Uncle Doug has. Worked like a dream. Only took a time or two till Max figured out not to do what ever it was. The shock part quit working a couple of months ago (tone still works) but Max doesn't know that. Stays right by my side, and no more yelling commands.
When and if I tie him out, I use a length of climbing rope.
Good luck. It will take some time. But there are years of rewards when completed.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:55 AM
mightymo
matthew m
'95 Disco 300TDI

Registry
For an anchor I use a 45lb olympic plate (a gym weight)... its heavy, but flat and easy to stack stuff on top of on road trips. You can likely get some custom length bungee rope at Home Depot for cheaper than a good climbing rope. A climbing rope would do the trick, but at $150+ its an expensive dog tether.
I have an 80lb Alapaha Bulldog and he doesn't typically budge that #45 around more than an inch or two all day.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:27 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:

Haha - I wish mine would listen on the first setting. I usually keep it about half way(5 out of 8) and he listens to it but doesn't yelp or give any indication of pain or discomfort. I think at that level its just anoying to him.

When he takes off after a deer anything but full blast wont discourage him....then he'll give a Yelp but it does break him off the chase. unfortunately I have to be on my game b/c with his speed if I'm even a few seconds to late he's out of site and out a range....its worse towards the end of the hike as the battery starts to die. I wont shock him if I can't see him b/c I dont want to risk a mixed signal...

The best is when we pass people on the trail, he's stuck on my side without me saying a word and people are like "what a well behaived dog!" I'm always chuckling thinking....they have no idea its only b/c I have 1000volts strapped around his neck right now lol

------ Follow up post added March 20th, 2013 07:29 AM ------

Heres a great website with quality dog supplies at very fair prices.

www.gundogsupply.com
Old March 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

It took me two years to command train my Dane. She was never teathered. Always lived in a semi-rual setting until the last three years of her life, sadly shes been gone now since November 2010...still havent replaced her. Best dog/friend I ever had...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	68519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	68520  

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	68521  
Old March 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

My last dog was basically in total prison break mode.

I got her a shock collar -- it did not phase her, even maxed out (yes I tried it on myself and it hurt like a mofo even on the minimum settings) -- she would get zapped, bark, and keep going, then I went with the steel tether. She ripped the spiral thing out of the ground. Then I used a pressed temporary fence post (the ones that sort of look like the bottom of a defender door in profile). That was fine, but she eventually started digging it up from the ground and I would have to keep hitting it deeper and deeper. At the end, there was a 3ft circular hole, three feet deep in the yard.

The only thing that worked was putting the cable around a 4x4 post that was part of my deck. She would ruin a steel cable about once every three months by tangling it in the deck (I think she was doing it on purpose). The dog also ate through drywall and was working on the exterior sheeting of the house from the inside.
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:53 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Rij, is Murphy a eunuch?
Yes. Not that it ever calmed him down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat