Lawn Tethers (anchored into ground) for Dogs - Random Thread Warning - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:28 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I finished this project for now, and pretty happy about it. I was going to go the rock climbing rope route, but I kept losing the auctions on eBay. I was trying to get used dynamic climbing rope on eBay because they usually come with high grade/strength (and light weight) attachments for cheap. I finally got impatient and went to Home Depot.

Here's what I bought:
- (1) 100' of 5/16" high visibility synthetic rope for under $15. Strength of over 200 lbs.
- (4) Quick Links. $2.62 each. $15 total. Strength of 1,546 lbs. LINK
- (4) Thimble and Synthetic Rope clamp/clips for 5/16" synth rope. $2 each kit. $8 Total LINK
- (1) Outdoor Trampoline Spring. $5.24 - the one I bought says a strength of 125 lbs, but I can't find it on their site. That said, you could easily replace it with something beefier - I just liked how much this one gave/expanded. LINK. Could be replaced with something like this (which I almost bought anyway) called a Porch Spring LINK strength of 325 lbs
- (2) Spiral Stake - Ground Anchors. $4.21 each. $8.50 Total. No idea on strength. LINK I'm not using the little loop that comes with it, as he ripped right through it last year.

Total: $55 - and enough to make 4 lines out of it. The thimble kits are easily removed and transferred to another line (since I only bought enough of them for 2 lines since I'm not sure I want to keep the thimble set-up). We tested him on a 30' line, so we still have 70' left - will probably make a 50' line, a 15' line and a 5' line to use around trees and posts when the stake is not an option.

Good:
-Cheap. Comparitively.
-Versatile
-Light
-Floats
-Weather/Corrosion resistant.
-Strong. The spring is the weakest point right now. Could easily be made stronger
-Dynamic. The rope "gives" quite a bit. So as he reaches the end of the line, it slows him down. The spring (I attached to the ground stake) slows him down further.
-Doesn't knot up like the steel rope did
-Packs up easily
-Easy to put together - the thimble/clamp kits take the longest to put on.

Bad:
-I don't really like the thimble and clamp kits, especially the ones on the side attached to his collar as the bolts on the rope clamps stick out a bit. Bowline or other knot could probably be used instead of hardware, but knots tend to decrease the strength of the rope from what I understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2865480904.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	69594   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4022876998.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	69595  

Name:	image-685683907.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	69596   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1271150385.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	69597  

Name:	image-1101200723.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	69598  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2013, 02:51 PM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

You could change the screw in hold down to one used for sheds/mobile homes if a stronger one is needed. Works great, but sometimes a PITA to screw in.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:13 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Good idea. Yeah, you can get pretty creative with this stuff. I was looking at these Swing Set leg anchors as well, as the finish appeared to be more corrosion resistant, and maybe a little beefier. But I didn't need all of the extra crap.

http://www.wayfair.com/Flexible-Flye...T-FFL1004.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-138307726.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	69613  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
rd10014
Ronnie
1993 NAS D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
So Spring and Summer are coming and that means we'll be heading out of the city a bunch for the weekend and vacations, and bringing the dog along. He's getting better at sticking around when we're outside, but we still like the comfort of having him on a tether when we're outside because he has a tendency to BOLT when he sees a squirrel or any other type of animal. Last year we used my gf's parents' tether that they had used for years for their 100 lb comatose white golden retriever, but it had never been really tested for an athletic and energetic dog like we have.

It included a spiral stake that went into the ground (stainless steel I think), 50' of cable that hurt like a MOTHER when he bolted past and the cable went tight, safety extension spring (I think this made it the entire Summer), and a mix of "heavy duty" (for large dogs) thumb snaps, that he ripped through all in a day or two. He likes to go into the water, he obviously like to run and roll around. The cable was really a pain in the ass because whenever he rolled around (for hours) the cable would get more and more wound, and would end up wound around him.

Questions:
-Has anyone built their own lawn tethers? I started piecing a strong kit together on parts from McMaster-Carr but it's getting stupid expensive
-Are there kits out there for larger dogs that peope know about? I was doing some searching, but mostly just see these POS things. This is on the right track, but steel rope is a pain in the ass to pack up.

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Dog-Tie-...awn+dog+tether

http://www.amazon.com/Boss-Pet-Prest...awn+dog+tether

Requirements:
-Easy to pack and transport - compact.
-Expandable. I'd probably like to have 50' and then be able to just link in another 50-100' feet when I want. Cable sucks for packing.
-Lawn Anchor. Some of the areas we go aren't great for depending on trees to anchor him. He broke through the lawn (cork screw) anchor from Home Depot last year.
-Spring loaded. It needs to slow him down gradually the last few inches so that it's not a pure jolt.
-STRONG!! Last year he broke through the lawn anchor (stainless steel spiral stake I think), multiple snaps that were rated for "big dogs" and probably some other stuff. I think the only things that survived were the spring and the cable itself
Real men don't tether dogs.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd10014 View Post
I'm not sure where you guys go, but any official campground I've been to requires pets to be on leash. It is pretty hard to avoid them all the time and actually use the truck.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 5th, 2013, 03:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
If you are using cable (wire rope), get some aluminum swedge clamps. Crush them around the cable in a vice, or go full caveman and use a hammer.

FWIW, I bought climbing rope and a couple caribeners at REI.

-Jeff
I saw those clamps at Home Depot and was expecting to get them, but they were only recommended for wire, and I'm using synthetic.

Most of the climbing rope I found was 3/8 - although that's fine (and I may go that route if this 5/16" breaks down this Summer) I wanted something a little smaller and cheaper. By going 5/16" and non-climbing rated, I saved probably $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd10014 View Post
Real men don't have overweight asthmatic dogs. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm not sure where you guys go, but any official campground I've been to requires pets to be on leash. It is pretty hard to avoid them all the time and actually use the truck.
That's really funny that you think Ronnie brings his truck anywhere fun. His idea of camping is staying at a Holiday Inn outside the "Metro" area.
Old April 5th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Synthetic winch cable works pretty good.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
dog