Latest on the NEW Defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 31st, 2017, 05:06 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

That's why I steer clear if LR3/4. Great to look at but so troublesome.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2017, 05:13 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
I don't know that other makes are really any better. We were getting out of a Suburban but the new ones were more gadgety and full of sensors and electronics. For me it came down to at least with Rover friends I can get to know the enemy. I'd prefer a non-electric door lock/latch on the back but that I can live with or get use to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:06 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:

Are they? Seems like they have been more reliable than anything that came before them, no?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2017, 12:26 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Are they? Seems like they have been more reliable than anything that came before them, no?
Maybe so. Maybe not. At least with the early gen's you rarely needed a computer to find out what's wrong. LR3/4 seem to need connecting to computers every time something needs fixing

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:47 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Maybe so. Maybe not. At least with the early gen's you rarely needed a computer to find out what's wrong. LR3/4 seem to need connecting to computers every time something needs fixing
they aren't bad at all. mine has been absolutely fantastic.

worst case scenario you might want a fancy $400 scanner. I've done fine with a cheap one though. Basically you probably want something that will allow you to align the air suspension at all four corners and put it into tight tolerance mode for alignments - and I suppose reset the air suspension if you have a weird hiccup, though I haven't encountered one.
Old February 1st, 2017, 07:48 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Are we talking ease of repair, or reliability? Also seems worth noting that (it seems to me, but I am not an LR3/4 owner) that they have been pretty reliable in their first 5+ years of service. Something else that could not be said of Discovery or Discovery II's that came before it..

!0+ years on, well, things only last so long..

Old February 1st, 2017, 07:54 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Are we talking ease of repair, or reliability? Also seems worth noting that (it seems to me, but I am not an LR3/4 owner) that they have been pretty reliable in their first 5+ years of service. Something else that could not be said of Discovery or Discovery II's that came before it..

!0+ years on, well, things only last so long..
My LR3 is at ~11 years and 140K miles and rolling along just fine. I know a bunch of people are well over 200K now and seem to be doing fine as well.

As long as mine hits 200K reasonably reliably, I'll be happy.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:00 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I think most folks on here buy used trucks (5+ years) to get bottom dollar and so really it's a gripe about long term reliability.

New Discos and Range Rovers are priced out of the economic reach of most on this forum, and most folks on here are too thrifty to bother eating depreciation even if they could afford them.

If/when the new Defender comes out, it'll probably be another 5-10 years before anyone here buys one
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:12 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I think most folks on here buy used trucks (5+ years) to get bottom dollar and so really it's a gripe about long term reliability.

New Discos and Range Rovers are priced out of the economic reach of most on this forum, and most folks on here are too thrifty to bother eating depreciation even if they could afford them.

If/when the new Defender comes out, it'll probably be another 5-10 years before anyone here buys one
I think the paradigm may be changing somewhat - the new Discovery starts at $50K, which isn't bad for any full sized SUV these days and if you look at LR4s, depreciation hasn't been as bad as it has been in the past.

Just took a quick glance at 2013 Range Rover prices - they seem to be holding up reasonably well for an expensive, luxury vehicle.
Old February 1st, 2017, 08:18 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Blue4.6l View Post
I think the paradigm may be changing somewhat - the new Discovery starts at $50K, which isn't bad for any full sized SUV these days and if you look at LR4s, depreciation hasn't been as bad as it has been in the past.

Just took a quick glance at 2013 Range Rover prices - they seem to be holding up reasonably well for an expensive, luxury vehicle.
That's an interesting point. One of the upsides, if you consider that, of the reputation of Land Rover vehicles was that folks who wanted to drive rich-person cars while letting actual rich people eat the depreciation was a sure thing. This is why you see people wheeling the crap out of LR3's now on trails, bouncing them off rocks and treating them like dirt.

If long term reliability increases and depreciation moves to longer time scales, then you'll see people hanging onto their LR vehicles longer and residual values increasing.

So I guess those of us who demand rich-person vehicles at poor-person prices have a bit of a mixed view regarding increased reliability.
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:05 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
I have had my '11 RRS from new. Bought it at the end of the year and it has been reliable and definitely has not liven up to what people say is an unreliable brand. It is a company car so happy about that.

We also purchased a '13 Q7 and the value on that has dropped more from what I can tell. The mileage and years are obviously different but at one point the values were only off about $3000. For as many miles as mine has the difference shouldn't be that close. So I would say the value are definitely holding a little better than other brands. These figures could change given the Q7 is a diesel though. But then we are not really comparing Apples to Apples.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old February 1st, 2017, 09:12 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

That's true for the most part but I've been saving up for the day when I can walk into the local Land Rover Emporium and order a brand new Defender. I'll definitely be buying a brand new one when they eventually hit the market. It killed me that I couldn't afford a new Defender when they were on the market from 1993-97 so I'm not going to let that happen again.
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:16 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Any news related to the new Defender is and shall be up until JLR decides to release it, false, conjectural, and devoid of any facts. This is one of if not THE closest guarded secret in the industry at the present.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:39 AM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

My 2006 LR3 has 255k miles on it. Such a huge difference between this and my disco 1.
Very much looking forward to the new defender. If its good, I'm all in..
Diesel with all of the modern conveniences would be sweet.
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:56 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc1818 View Post
My 2006 LR3 has 255k miles on it. Such a huge difference between this and my disco 1. Very much looking forward to the new defender. If its good, I'm all in.. Diesel with all of the modern conveniences would be sweet.
damn, that great to hear. howz the rust situation? i saw an LR fuel tank support shield from the NE that looked like it had seen better days. Reminded me of the 90's gas tank skids.

Old February 1st, 2017, 11:01 AM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
Ditto. Already on the list. Looking forward to the Geneva show if JLR decide (or NYC Show but doubtful) to show off a better concept.

On the other hand. Has anyone seen the new Disco at an autoshow this year? Unreal that it comes early this year and nothing.

Trying to figure out my next move car wise. I have 89xxx on mine now and would easier wait until next year if the Defender is state side but really want a 110 to park next to my other 110. Need the space as a work car also. If the 110 is a few years out than who knows.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:08 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW View Post
That's true for the most part but I've been saving up for the day when I can walk into the local Land Rover Emporium and order a brand new Defender. I'll definitely be buying a brand new one when they eventually hit the market. It killed me that I couldn't afford a new Defender when they were on the market from 1993-97 so I'm not going to let that happen again.

Did you sell that Porsche? You can order several
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:17 PM
jpc1818
james
1998 D1/06 LR3 HSE HD/16RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
damn, that great to hear. howz the rust situation? i saw an LR fuel tank support shield from the NE that looked like it had seen better days. Reminded me of the 90's gas tank skids.
The rust issue is basically non-existent except for the gas shield..
Its not too bad though.
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I love my LR4 for what it is. Only issues I have had:
1. Sunroof leak - clogged drains
2. Control Arm bushings - expected
3. Sometimes steering wheel radio controls act weird - volume changes stations and vice versa. Known issue on boards that can be fixed by taking apart and cleaning contacts. Have not bothered.
4. There has been times I get in and the radio/phone has no volume. Shut car off, lock and unlock doors and it goes away. Also known issue on boards.

Right now I need tires. BF All Terrains are insanely expensive for these things. Also trying to decide if I want a Gap Tool for the truck. I want the TPMS light shut off since I no longer have tire sensors.
Old February 1st, 2017, 02:45 PM
rover26c
Lee
1994 D90 ST

[QUOTE=bjf;1919105513]

Right now I need tires. BF All Terrains are insanely expensive for these things.

What size tires do you have on your LR4? 255/55/18? -> K/O2 is on sale at Tirerack at $178 each + shipping

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
defender, new defender