Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 21st, 2007, 03:55 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybahr
Is this something I can have the dealer do before I drive it off of the lot. I will be speaking with the salesperson today, I'll ask her if it's been done. She read a long list of things that have been done before they put it up for sale. I'd assume that they took care of that, but I'll double check. How much would it cost to buy the parts and have them installed? Would you recommend I get it done before driving it back to St. Louis from Denver? I appreciate everyones help.
Fact is you'd be best off going for something after market. The dealer will use OEM, you'd be better off with something steel braided so you don't have to worry about it down the road. Not a huge investment, but it'll guarantee peace of mind. You'd hate to see that $28,000 go up in flames, wouldn't you?
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2007, 04:56 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Some dealerships will install aftermarket braided ones for you... do a search on here for oil cooler and you'll find some links as to where to buy them.... I'm always reminded of the guy a few years ago who bought his 90 from a guy on the board, and on the drive home it went up in flames.. scary stuff. At least have them thoroughly inspect them for cracking/wear before driving it home.
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old December 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybahr
Ok, thank you everyone for your help. I ended up buying this http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_po...7&photoIndex=0 d90 today from Land Rover Flat Irons, CO

I paid 28k out of the door, I think it's a pretty good deal, it only has 65k miles, and a whole sluh of new parts, and it has a very clean carfax. It is still on autotrader.com on the first page for anyone who would like to see it. I am picking it up from the dealer on Jan 6th, heading up to Aspen for the weekend, and then the long drive back to St. Louis. Let me know what you guys think. I will post Hi Res pictures later, after I get it home.

Kenny
Congrats! I live right across the street from them and I kept meaning to stop in and take a look at that one. It definitely looked nice driving by!
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Congrats! I live right across the street from them and I kept meaning to stop in and take a look at that one. It definitely looked nice driving by!
My wife and I decided to have it shipped to St. Louis. It was pretty much the same cost to drive it home as it was to have it shipped. Would you mind if I set up a tme for you to go and give this a test drive? I'm not actually having it shipped until Jan 6th or 7th. I could call my girl @ the dealership and have a time where you could go drive it around. Let me know.
thanks,
Kenny
Old April 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Wanted to revive this thread as I am currently looking at some of landroversforsale.com trucks. Anyone had an experience with them since '07? Any long term follow up?
Old June 7th, 2010, 06:08 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
the "frame refurbishing" is about the only thing that makes me a bit nervous--http://www.landroversforsale.com/web/1024/refurbishing -- but I do know one guy that bought 2 Rovers from them and has been happy with both.

When I was actively Rover hunting I looked at their inventory a few times- I called and emailed to get more info on one of them and nobody ever got back ahold of me--I ended up buying elsewhere (non-dealer, I got a bit more for the money).

I think this community is small enough that they work to keep their name and vehicles clean. Im a bit jealous of these guys, I would love to make a living out of selling Defenders!
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:23 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
The frame repairs are pretty typical, especially of any truck that is in a wet environment. So at least they disclose it with detailed photos so you can judge the quality of the work.

I will however say that the painting of exterior roll cage is surprising. Doesn't take much to have it properly powdercoated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would not buy a truck with that much frame rust.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is a lot of frustratingly wrong or half-ass stuff on that page.
- The new hinges are not alloy, they're plated steel
- The new hinge bolts are certainly not alloy
- A seat recover without replacing the foam?
- As mentioned above, even if you wanted to paint the rollbar, its would take less time to remove it than mask it
- The patches on the frames and cross members aren't exactly confidence inspiring

Why not just say "we cosmetically spruce-up old used Defenders before we sell them?"

Old June 12th, 2010, 02:40 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Why patch up a rusty rear cross member? Surely easier to cut it off and weld on a whole new one?
As for the frame repairs, that's a lot of patches, if they're lap welded it's just another rust trap waiting to happen, slightly better if they're butt welded but even so it's a lot of patching, I rechassised my 110 when it got to that state of affairs.
Old June 12th, 2010, 03:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Why patch up a rusty rear cross member? Surely easier to cut it off and weld on a whole new one?
As for the frame repairs, that's a lot of patches, if they're lap welded it's just another rust trap waiting to happen, slightly better if they're butt welded but even so it's a lot of patching, I rechassised my 110 when it got to that state of affairs.
$$$.

Old June 12th, 2010, 04:53 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

I don't like the fact they promote using stainless bolts on the cage, .... not smart.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:56 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Shear strength???
Old June 12th, 2010, 05:07 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Stainless bolts are OK as long as they are 17-7ph or 18-8ph.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat