Land Rover World - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 10th, 2004, 02:00 AM
mulesnx
Sam Hayes

Land Rover World Forums

Land Rover World is starting a new web site and a forum here Check it out and sign up early!

Also you can submit pics of your ride to pictures@landroverworld.org!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2004, 06:43 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I dont mind the announcement once here but I dont care for the multiple cross postings in the other sections as well. Once is enough.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:34 AM
mulesnx
Sam Hayes

sorry. You can delete any of the other posts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 10th, 2004, 11:51 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

No problem Sam. The new forum looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Land Rover World

Did anyone else get this? Strange part is that I don't have my trucks picture on the internet except for 1 tech discussion. Kinda struck me as odd.

Dear Land Rover Owner,

We have spotted your Land Rover pictures on the internet and were wondering if you would like them to appear in the new Land Rover World Web Page. If you are interested in being published on our new web page, please send between 1 and 20 pictures to pictures@landroverworld.org. Be sure to include your name, your location, your vehicle, and a list of modifications if any.

If you have any questions, please email us at questions@landroverworld.org. Our new web page is not functional right now but will be up before the end of March. However, the bulletin board is fully functional as of today. Please sign up here if you are interested in being part in the fastest growing Land Rover community.

Thank you,

Land Rover World

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Nope and there pics of my 90 scattered all over, you must be on someones mailing list.
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Maybe Sam can answer some questions....

Honestly though. Do we really need another BBS?

Between Pirate, D-90, D-ho-web, RoversNorth and the LR Enthusiast BBS's, I'm tapped.

Old March 10th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I'm embarassed to admit that I fell for it. Signed up and everything.

I agree that there are probably too many BBS's. I don't visit RN. I lurk on D-web, I don't go to the D90 Yahoo group but once in a blue-moon. Pirate I spend WAY too much time on. I've unsubscribed to all of the LR mailing lists (except mendo-recce), so that has helped.

I just had a discussion today about how I monitor too many BBS's. You'd think I had nothing better to do.

There is one BBS that I recently found that I really like. Super small group of maybe 10 or so that basically are the core contributors, but their emphasis is on desert and vehicle dependant travel. They come from all makes of vehicles, so it's not so Rover-centric (a good thing IMO).

4wdtrips.net

You might want to poke in and wander around to see if it fits what you'd like to see. I know I'll probably spend much more time there than Pirate anymore. I am seeing my post count there go too high to admit.

Anyway, each board has it's own flavor for sure. Kind of good...kind of bad if you're trying to curtail your internet surfing.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:52 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

It wasn't me! Just kidding Dave. Seriously, aren't some pictures of your D90 on Pirate?

DJ
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:06 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I hear ya Michael, at one point I think I had 25+ Yahoo groups I was a member of or owned. Got it down to under 10 now and with the exception of daily digest from the D90 Yahoo group, I just check them via the web when I can.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Seriously, aren't some pictures of your D90 on Pirate?
Yeah, I have one on pirate, that was the tech discussion I mentioned. I guess that must have been where this came from. I know a few boys over there that would be pissy if they post a pic over there and then get solicited like this. Doesn't bother me, just kinda odd.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 11th, 2004, 06:53 PM
mulesnx
Sam Hayes

It's ME!

Hi everyone...

I am suprised at how much fuss I have caused. A few of us are starting a website, out of our own pockets, and our own time. I have seen some cool pictures around the web of devoted Land Rover owners like myself. Yes, I have emailed them asking for pics of their rigs. Is this really spam? Sorry if that was nuisance, but we are just really excited about putting your pictures up on our website. Would it have helped if we sent each email with a little different context? Does it matter that we saved hours by copying and pasting?

Also, why are people saying
Quote:
I'm embarassed to admit that I fell for it. Signed up and everything
?

What exactly did you fall for? Was it signing up on one too many forums? Then don't post. Is it really that big of a deal? Is one more forum going hurt anyone?

Lastly, what is the big deal about using the name landroverworld.org? We are not selling a thing on our site, nor have any advertisements! We are reaping no benefits from the name other than the satisfaction of owning and being actively involved with our Land Rovers. I just don't get all of the fuss . . .
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Sounds like we have some candidates for a yet named, but financially exploitable, internet-forum-stress-disorder.
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Lastly, what is the big deal about using the name landroverworld.org?

I Guess I'll ask. Are you associated with Land Rover World, the magazine? If not, that may be something to consider. They may or may not take to kindly to a group associating with their brand, either willfully or not. My assumption is that your not intentionally trying to draw hits with the name and the potential that some may perceive a connection to the mag. That would be extremely foolhardy to say the least.

FWIW,

EwS
Old March 11th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Re: It's ME!

Quote:
Originally posted by mulesnx
Is this really spam?
YES!!!! (although I myself didn't recieve said SPAM).

Quote:
Also, why are people saying...

"I'm embarassed to admit that I fell for it. Signed up and everything"

What exactly did you fall for? Was it signing up on one too many forums? Then don't post. Is it really that big of a deal? Is one more forum going hurt anyone?
Actually, I don't think "people" are saying that, I think it was only one person so far. Me. Oh, and you'll notice my post count is at 1. It won't go higher. And yeah, 'one more forum' effectively dilutes where we go to meet and say hi to our LR bretheren. True, a free market society encourages people to go out on a limb and open their own place, so to speak. I hope those that go to your site enjoy it and find comraderie with others.

Quote:
Lastly, what is the big deal about using the name landroverworld.org? We are not selling a thing on our site, nor have any advertisements! We are reaping no benefits from the name other than the satisfaction of owning and being actively involved with our Land Rovers. I just don't get all of the fuss . . .
Well, I think Eric pretty much hit the nail on the head. By you using an established industry trademark (i.e. LandRover World), you immediately draw a connection to the magazine and website which uses that name. This is exactly the reason why trademark laws exist.

IT DOES NOT MATTER that you are not selling anything nor have any advertisements. Trust me. Land Rover does NOT take kindly to it's logos, and names which they pay heavily to trademark and protect, being misused or used without consent. Our club in Portland/Seattle had to lobby LR to be able to use the 'zig-zag' portion of their logo. I can only imagine how quickly you'll get a letter from Land Rover corporate. Something along the line of 'Cease and Desist'.

I have no beef with you 'reaping the benefits and satisfaction of owning and being actively involved with your Land Rovers'. Quite the contrary. I support and encourage it. I just felt that the website is a bit misleading, and it really is something you ought to reconsider.

I'll sit back, grab some popcorn and watch how this all plays out. I won't be proactive or a 'whistle-blower' to LR. I know they have people that already do that.

Enjoy the spotlight while it lasts.
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:21 PM
mulesnx
Sam Hayes

I think I will also sit back and continue what I am doing until Land Rover comes to me personally. When they do, and when they inform me on which law I am breaking and why and how I am breaking it, then I will happily comply. But until then, I wil "Enjoy the spotlight . . ."

Or I will wait for the spotlight . . . since I have not seen one yet, and since there are only a handful of people having fun on www.landroverworld.org.

Take care Mike.
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:55 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it Sam?

Old March 11th, 2004, 11:48 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sam, personally I see nothing wrong with anyone opening another enthusiast site and hope it works out for you. What some of the issues that people are having problems with are:

- It appears that you gathered email address from sites and then mass mailed out a standard email in a short amount of time to a huge amount of people.

- The email you sent out was worded with "sales pitch" type presentation. For example you end your email with "Please sign up here if you are interested in being part in the fastest growing Land Rover community." but yet the site had (and still doesn't last I checked) no working sections except the front page and the forum which only opened yesterday. There certainly is no basis or backing to make the statement that its the fastest growing site when in fact there is just about nothing there, so people pick up on that and start to think sales pitch.
(Did that make sense?)

- The name is mis-leading on a few levels. First and most notably, you have chosen a name that is globally associated with an highly established publication, "Land Rover World". I have to admit, when I first read your email, I assumed it was from them opening a new forum and didn't think anything of it until I started hearing of other people getting them as well.

- Secondly, concern is that Ford owns LANDROVERWORLD.COM so they already have ground to come after you. Its the same a Microsoft going after people with sites too close to their own name, and winning those in court amazingly. While LR has been pretty cool with enthusiast sites, who knows what Ford will do with site with too close of a trademark name. A good example of this would be to try and go register a domain with "Microsoft" or "Master-Card" in it. You'll have papers served to you practically before your domain name is resolving.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Quote:
Originally posted by Tawayama
Trust me. Land Rover does NOT take kindly to it's logos, and names which they pay heavily to trademark and protect, being misused or used without consent.
I'm sure a lot of people here have bought from or came across Nathan from what was then Discount Rovers. What Michael said above is exactly the reason why he is now Discount British Parts. Just a testimony on how LR/Ford is protective of it's trademarks.

***Edit***

Oh and what Chris said above too....

Old March 12th, 2004, 02:03 AM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Remember the Thom McCann "Land Rover" boots? They didn't last long either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat