Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 16th, 2005, 04:35 PM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

Land Rover will not replace Defender

Land Rover will not replace still-profitable Defender
16th March 2005

Land Rover managing director Matthew Taylor has told the US consumer website thecarconnection.com that the cost of engineering a new version of the company’s Defender utility to meet collision regulations would be too high for the volumes concerned.

Taylor said cost reduction moves had made it profitable to continue production of the present Defender at a volume of 25,000 units a year. The company’s new Freelander compact SUV will be launched in a year’s time in Europe, and around mid-2006 in the US market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2005, 06:07 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

At this point "F@#K IT".
Land Rover North America, or Ford, or who ever, can not get it together. The line of H2s, the new Toyota, and others have basically beaten them down and beaten them to the market.

The Disco is now a $50,000+ car so even if they Ford, LR) did re-introduce it, it would be a bastard son at best. Come on, where does the Defender fit in the new LR profile? Where does it fit in the Ford profile? NO WHERE.

Honestly, both companies, excuse me, the same company, is doing what it wants based on $$$.
We own D-90s, in the USA you can import a 25yr old one and fix it up. So to Ford and the Defender development team - Shove it! I got mine already!
Old March 16th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Land Rover has enough worries in attaining long-term profitability and acceptable quality control. The Ford PAG loses money continually and has yet to attain overall volume targets. The Defender redesign is a very low rung on priority ladder. Sollihull was almost planned for shut down this past year.

Unfortunately, the Defender dovetailed very nicely with the North American Disco introduction, moving people and interest to the brand. What is the brand image now - techno/luxury/suv with no connection to heritage. Like Porsche without the 911, but say, cars like the Cayenne and old 918.
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I'm actually glad to hear that. That means they are going to keep producing the D-90 as is, jus tnot here in the US. Since most of us on this site already have D-90's, who cares. I just want to make sure they don't amke the Defender something that it shouldn't be. Like Paul said in a couple of years we can import them in and fix them up. I like having a car that can't be brought in to the US and that you don't see everyday. I wouldn't want to have a redesigned D-90 in the states that is a big POS.

Just my $.02.
Old March 16th, 2005, 08:17 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'm with Joe, so that makes $.04 on that vein
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:00 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Prcisely what I was thinking Joe. Keep producing the tried and true D we know. Wait a few year, and those 25 year old 110's will be hitting our shores. It will be a good day when that happens. We'll be in a frenzy to buy and refit all of those old trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Why wait? You can already bring in 109's and anything prior to 1980. The Defender isn't THAT much different than a Series III if you can live with leaf springs.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Why wait? You can already bring in 109's and anything prior to 1980. The Defender isn't THAT much different than a Series III if you can live with leaf springs.

-Hans
Hans have you been in a leaf sprung Rover? They ride a little differently. And I think there a few more little differances that make the Defender more sot after.
Old March 16th, 2005, 09:49 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
"sot"

You hang around too many brits.

Old March 16th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL or I read to many brit forums sought
Old March 17th, 2005, 02:24 AM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

I totally agree with you. I have now owned 4 Defenders. However, I have also owned an older Gelaendewagen (1986 280GE SWB). I loved my G-wagen...because it was different, special, unique, and not something that you saw on the roads everyday...especially in Colorado (prior to Europa selling the distribution rights to MBNA). I also believe that the older G-wagens (while not as technologically advanced as the new models) were far superior....essentially a handbuilt truck...with only a handful of them in the States at the time. Europa and Norm Keiser were the only game in town. However, the G-wagen now is the offical car of the NBA...the exclusivity is gone...and the brand was diluted.

I would hate the see a new Defender enter the U.S. market that was not a product of it's original heritage...made with leftover scrap and aluminum from the "war effort." The LR3 is a joke to me. The new Range Rovers are beautiful...but I would never purchase one. These trucks once ran (and won) the heralded Paris to Dakar...their heritage (to me) is what makes them so special and unique. A diluted Defender attempting to capture market share from Hummer...would suck! All of us have seen the various concept drawings (Ford Bronco style, LWB style) at this stage...they are a radical departure from the Defenders that we know and love.

Sure...every now and then I crave the appointments of a walnut dash, fine leather, and power anything. I could go on and on (ad nauseum) about how cold my truck is in the winter, how loud, leaky, and damp it can feel. However...I love it! I loved this truck the very first time that I ever saw it...kind of like my wife

I purchased my fourth Defender last year. It was in pretty dire shape compared to the previous three that I have owned. However, I have really enjoyed fixing it up and restoring it to it's former glory. I hope that I can in some way help preserve the heritage of this unique automobile...

The last thing on earth that I want to see is the new Defender with 18" chrome spinners in a 50 Cent video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P
I'm actually glad to hear that. That means they are going to keep producing the D-90 as is, jus tnot here in the US. Since most of us on this site already have D-90's, who cares. I just want to make sure they don't amke the Defender something that it shouldn't be. Like Paul said in a couple of years we can import them in and fix them up. I like having a car that can't be brought in to the US and that you don't see everyday. I wouldn't want to have a redesigned D-90 in the states that is a big POS.

Just my $.02.
Old March 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P

Just my $.02.
I wouldn't count on that. Production is low, labour intensive and the new Euro laws are ghosting the US in respects to airbags. It's just a matter of time before they shut the line down and close the chapter...
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I seriously doubt they will keep building the Defender as it is now. Every year, they lose more and more market share. Really nobody wants to buy it anymore. Taking the Salisbury out of the 110 basically has killed Australian sales.

They need to just build a simple, low cost 4WD vehicle. There is a market. Look at the TJ, still selling well. It would be very easy to top that. At some point they need to realise that they will lose their reputation as a "great" off road vehicle builder, if they don't start making one. They can not live on memories of africa in the 60s forever.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:07 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

I don't think you will see the Defender disappear, just move. From what I understand you can still buy 300TDI versions in Africa and South America so the D will probably just move to countries that aren't as strict when regulations kill it in Europe.

The way the Defender is built actually costs more to produce in modern assembly plants then modern vehicles so it's days are numbered in the modern world factories but not in hands on cheap labor factories.

I personally am glad they are not trying to cash in on the name and just produce another Disco. If they can't design a new D with the same qualities as the old then let it run it's course and fade away, there are enough of them around that they will continue to be supported for a long time; or we could just buy a Sanatana.
Old March 17th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

On a similar note, does it seem the new LR3 is not generating the sales figures intended? Yes the price is a lot higher, and the low cost model hasn't made it to market yet. But in '94, there was a six to eight month wait for a Discovery in the southeast. It may be winning awards, but it is not generating buzz and they are already offering sales incentives. I think Land Rover is shooting off the mark.

And I agree with the comments above, better no new Defender than a bad one. Remember a few years back the talk of a "lifestyle" model for the North America market.
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

I like my rare vehicle....A new defender would take the rarity right now of it. To hell with Ford or Land Rover or whoever the hell is making Land Rovers now. Since they are not going to go back to the heritage of a Land Rover....F*** 'em

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:34 PM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

Defender Moves Down the Priority List

Freelander Outranks Defender

Meanwhile Taylor adds that work on a Defender replacement has moved down the priority list since the company has found ways of building the existing model less expensively. At about 25,000 units a year the Defender produces a nice profit, and redesigning it to make it U.S. crash-worthy once more would entail much higher costs than continuing with the existing vehicle, he says. A much higher priority is the replacement for the Freelander, due in Europe, where it's a mainstay for Land Rover dealers, just a little outside a year from now. The U.S. version of the Freelander is at least 18 months away, however. -Marty Padgett
Old March 17th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

They must be talking about the US version of the updated Freelander, since I have already seen them here in the US. Confused the heck out of the girl at Applebee's when 2 white "land rovers" parked next to each other.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Who knows, maybe Ford will bundle the Defender as an IPO, and sell it off as an indipendent. Look at the Mini and those unit numbers within the US. Ford is on the ropes (those GM just bombed today), so the $$$ is not there. F150 is much more important.
This is what the Italians call "Mental Masterbation", you can do it for hours without resolve. But as I stated before, I got my D90, I can import one soon so . . .
Old March 17th, 2005, 07:04 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Man if they sell it as an IPO I say we start taking donations here...Wasn't someone on here looking for a new job?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac