Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 9th, 2016, 11:59 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Land Rover Story

So this is one of the good luck, good karma Land Rover stories ....

I was at the MAR. A fellow drove up to me. I immediately knew he was cooler than most dudes because he was driving a Series. I have never met the fellow before but he comes up to me and states "you have a V8 in your Series, right?" I reply in the affirmative and he hands me a new V8 distributor cap and button. He says he had it for ages and it is obviously no value to him and his 4cyl. I thank him and chuck it in my spares box.

Time passes....

When I get home, I pressure wash my truck - to include the engine bay. It will not start when I am finished and I just assume I got water in the ignition parts. I open my distributor cap and see that it is badly burnt on the center pin. I had no idea.

Out with old and in with the new and all things are good in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1202493014.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	592.3 KB
ID:	159288  
Sterling, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC

Awesome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2016, 04:01 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
up:
Old October 9th, 2016, 04:07 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
So this is one of the good luck, good karma Land Rover stories ....

I was at the MAR. A fellow drove up to me. I immediately knew he was cooler than most dudes because he was driving a Series. I have never met the fellow before but he comes up to me and states "you have a V8 in your Series, right?" I reply in the affirmative and he hands me a new V8 distributor cap and button. He says he had it for ages and it is obviously no value to him and his 4cyl. I thank him and chuck it in my spares box.

Time passes....

When I get home, I pressure wash my truck - to include the engine bay. It will not start when I am finished and I just assume I got water in the ignition parts. I open my distributor cap and see that it is badly burnt on the center pin. I had no idea.

Out with old and in with the new and all things are good in the world.
Good story...BUT make sure you carry ignition spares in the truck at all time, Lynch saved my arse on the trail with a genuine rotor (and Uncle Doug's remote diagnosis) that failed and was less than a month old (and genuine).

I just got finished replacing just about my entire ignition setup AND building a full ignition spares to keep in the truck that consists of:

- ignition amp module (not applicable for you)
- rotor x2
- cap
- plug wires
- ignition coil
- ignition switch "bypass harness" (a Lav special to save the inevitable poor sap that has his switch delaminate on the trail)

Anyone with a Rover V8 I suggest keeping this on hand at all times...as Rob pointed out, most mechanical failures we can do a ghetto-workaround to get you home or off the trail...but ignition woes will stop you dead in your tracks.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat