Here’s Why Land Rover Doesn’t Care About JD Power Ratings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2015, 11:31 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
i loved my 2009 tahoe. i should have never sold it.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Call the national customer support line and they will almost definitely cover the repair.
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2015, 11:37 AM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Ipso why I'm getting another Toyota as a daily driver..
Lr3's are going to be more to service than they are worth very soon

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:38 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
i loved my 2009 tahoe. i should have never sold it.
the wifes yukon denali is awesome... $29 oil change at the GMC dealer and free tire rotation.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:42 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
That is why a Tahoe or the like makes more sense to me. -Jeff
Yep, historically they've been a great value. Close friends of our family had their 8 speed trans shit the bed within 2K miles of the warranty. $6K to fix. I don't know what to trust anymore.

Also, Tahoe's are like a catcher on a girls softball team vs. a Middie in lacrosse. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Cylinder Head
CJ
1986 D90

This is hard to digest but try not to take it personal. Welcome to the "premium brand stealership" experience. Seems to be your first one.

Statistically, 7 out of 10 customers will get shafted. Consumers find comfort in the waiting area with a $5 mocca as stated above.

Can you try another dealer and get a second opinion with an alternative strategy? Taking a MB/BMW/Audi/JLR vehicle out of warranty to them is asking for a beating but I'm really surprised a CPO unit gets this type of treatment.

I inquired about a glass key at the local Aston Martin dealer the other day. They wanted $1,750... "but it includes programming" they said. Ha. I told them I was going to buy a couple of ounces of gold instead of a volvo covered plastic part. 30 minutes googling will also go a long way.

On the bright side, you have already the diagnosis and a course of action in place. Shop around and don't let this ruin your day. Good luck and happy miles ahead.
Old December 10th, 2015, 11:58 AM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head View Post
This is hard to digest but try not to take it personal. Welcome to the "premium brand stealership" experience. Seems to be your first one.

Statistically, 7 out of 10 customers will get shafted. Consumers find comfort in the waiting area with a $5 mocca as stated above.

Can you try another dealer and get a second opinion with an alternative strategy? Taking a MB/BMW/Audi/JLR vehicle out of warranty to them is asking for a beating but I'm really surprised a CPO unit gets this type of treatment.

I inquired about a glass key at the local Aston Martin dealer the other day. They wanted $1,750... "but it includes programming" they said. Ha. I told them I was going to buy a couple of ounces of gold instead of a volvo covered plastic part. 30 minutes googling will also go a long way.

On the bright side, you have already the diagnosis and a course of action in place. Shop around and don't let this ruin your day. Good luck and happy miles ahead.

I wish i could tell you this is my first experience.....unfortunately ive had this experience many times i just never learn my lesson.... which of course i know means i have no one to blame but myself.......i always convince myself it will be diffrent this time.

I would never bring an out of warranty vehicle to land rover i just ASSumed that a water leak at least coming from my sunroof would be covered under my CPO warranty.......
just feel like im getting shafted.....

i hate feeling like if i freak out and make a big deal about this i will get it covered.....if im nice and dont cry about it they will do nothing but if im a DICK then they will help me....

and to be honest im not going to go there.....its not worth it.
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:22 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

I just did a price check.

On the oil change, You can order all the items needed for the oil change (two 5 quart jugs of Castrol synthetic and genuine LR OEM filter) for like, $80. I don't know if you gotta reset the computer or not. However I would assume if you would be doing your own service, you'd already have the tool.

Diagnosis fee...that always pisses me off.

Sunroof, that seems about right to fiddle with a sunroof on a luxury car, IMO.

Control arms, my local indie does it for like, $800. So that price isn't great, but it isn't bad.

Tires, stock tires, according to a quick search on Kaufman tire, are at least $200/tire. So I figure you'd be getting a similar price at a regular tire shop.

Alignment, I'd have Butler tire put it on their fancy alignment rack that they use for all of the Ferraris and Lambos around here. I think its like, $130. I could go bargin basement for $70.

Injector cleaner. LOL wut...

Yep. Indie shop or start bringing some of that work in house. That is what I've been doing ever since a shop charged me $60 to top up my transmission with oil...
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post

Injector cleaner. LOL wut...
Land Rover has had a ton of injector problems since the 4.4 Jag motor came out and even more with the 5.0.
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Chowbird
Tim
'84 D90

Sometimes it's worth it to stir the pot with Corporate. Had a 2009 Mini Cooper with a sun roof that leaked. Out of warranty. Big rain. Car completely flooded. An inch or so of water. Flooded the computers under passenger seat. I wrote BMW corporate a 2 page nicely worded letter explaining this was a design flaw on their part. Their dealership reps were jerks. Told me it would be 3 weeks to get it in, passive aggressive rude, uncaring. Told BMW corporate I was a long time customer, wouldn't be anymore, and would spread the word to anyone I could find...nicely. BMW corporate covered it. It wasn't cheap. Couple grand if I remember. The letter was definitely worth it. Good luck. It's definitely frustrating.
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:33 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Every time I think of buying an LR3 or 4 I find another thread like this that reassures me about keeping my Toyota daily driver.
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:38 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Anyone know exactly why the S/R frame is failing?
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:39 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

The LR3/4 Sunroof leak is a known problem. The Drains get plugged and that intern backs up water into the headliner. They use pressure fittings and it runs internally down the A-pillar.
pretty bad design.
My LR3 when i had it did this and they replaced the entire headliner under warranty (new car warranty) after about 25k miles.

Tires, i used 275/60R18 when i bought tires for it - 1" taller and @ $165/tire a good bit cheaper than OEM as well as a lot more choices. i had no rubbing issues at all.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:41 PM
doktorno
Chris deZ.
1995 Defender SW

Registry
Sold my '95 Land Cruiser for the Defender, and the LC was amazingly reliable at 183,000. Wife's '06 Land Cruiser, 104,xxx miles today and has needed a gas cap only since new. I have replaced the shocks just because they were soft but not leaking. My Mercedes mechanic bought my old '94 Tercel for his wife, and I miss the Tercel so much I am going to look at a clean 5-speed '97 on Houston CL. I like cool cars, but my DDers are Made in Japan appliances.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:38 AM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
just to give an update in case anyone else has same issues down the line.....
after VERY nicely talking with customer service of land rover USA they have agreed to go ahead and cover the leaking sunroof under the CPO warranty........so at least they are making good on this point.....

looks like i also will be able to get the sun roof leak diagnostic fee refunded being land rover is going to cover it under the warranty......

they are still telling me no on the lower control arms and bushings........
im still getting that if the lower control arms are leaking they will cover them....if they are not leaking they will not cover them...doesnt make much sense to me....

I get the feeling that if i was to really push and fight i may be able to get them to bend on the control arms as well but to be honest i dont think i really care enough to fight it.....maybe i will just wait for them to leak and then bring it back..... haha....
Old December 22nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Can you poke them with a pick so they do leak? glad to hear they are coming around though.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:06 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Bushings and hoses aren't covered under CPO, but they would probably still goodwill it.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 12:35 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by koltonstanley View Post
just to give an update in case anyone else has same issues down the line.....
after VERY nicely talking with customer service of land rover USA they have agreed to go ahead and cover the leaking sunroof under the CPO warranty........so at least they are making good on this point.....

looks like i also will be able to get the sun roof leak diagnostic fee refunded being land rover is going to cover it under the warranty......

they are still telling me no on the lower control arms and bushings........
im still getting that if the lower control arms are leaking they will cover them....if they are not leaking they will not cover them...doesnt make much sense to me....

I get the feeling that if i was to really push and fight i may be able to get them to bend on the control arms as well but to be honest i dont think i really care enough to fight it.....maybe i will just wait for them to leak and then bring it back..... haha....
Good to hear. The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease, but you've got to squeak to be in the running.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:04 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Bushings and hoses aren't covered under CPO, but they would probably still goodwill it.

yea i hear you but its weird that the service girl at my local land rover dealership is telling me that when the control arms are leaking she is able to put it through as a warranty item on the CPO warranty....but only if they are leaking....

------ Follow up post added December 22nd, 2015 01:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Good to hear. The squeaky wheel doesn't always get the grease, but you've got to squeak to be in the running.

your 100 percent right but its still ashame it has to be that way.....i HATE complaining......just treat me right to begin with...

------ Follow up post added December 22nd, 2015 01:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Can you poke them with a pick so they do leak? glad to hear they are coming around though.

haha belive me ive been thinking about it.......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
land rover