land rover out of the BLEEPING minds.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

The control arms seems good but everything else seems high. My last alignment was 125 at the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:41 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by koltonstanley View Post
$189.00 sounds cheap but are those parts really $900.00?

Maybe they are.....

But do I even need new bushings? Everything seams fine to me.... Other then the water dripping from the roof.
One aftermarket control arm from Atlantic British is $299.95...

Control Arm Front Lower Left Hand (LR025613 Same Fit As Part # LR025613 ) - Land Rover ball joints\rod ends from Atlantic British

If you don't trust their diagnosis bring it to Land Rover Manhattan and request that I work on it.
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:01 PM
88b9p
Jim
1994 D90 SW

koltonstanley :
I've had the exact same issues.
PM sent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2015, 10:04 PM
mpodgorski
martin
'94 D90 ST Arles

Maybe contact the store where the LR4 was purchased, see if they could goodwill the sunroof repair, or call Land Rover Owner Care. Open a case and see if they can contribute to the repairs needed.

It doesn't cost anything to ask.

It's a common issue and it's well known almost the LR3 and LR4 community. Good Luck.
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:39 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
lots of shops farm out alignments and most alignment shops will do it for around $130. But, at the dealership the book time is several hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
The control arms seems good but everything else seems high. My last alignment was 125 at the dealer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:45 PM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpodgorski View Post
Maybe contact the store where the LR4 was purchased, see if they could goodwill the sunroof repair, or call Land Rover Owner Care. Open a case and see if they can contribute to the repairs needed. It doesn't cost anything to ask. It's a common issue and it's well known almost the LR3 and LR4 community. Good Luck.

Who do I call to open a case?
Land Rover customer service?
Anyone have the number handy?
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:50 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
lots of shops farm out alignments and most alignment shops will do it for around $130. But, at the dealership the book time is several hours.
I don't think that was my case, I was there at the dealer the entire time. I first had it done locally and after I was concerned about our local shop because of their inexperience with LR3s and posts I read online about non-LR results. I talked with the tech after and he said it was close but not 100%.

I should mention I had other work done, rear brakes and tpms.
Old December 9th, 2015, 10:55 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

The symptoms with the control arm bushings is that it starts to wear the inner edges of the Tyres out.. And when driving if you tap on the brakes you will hear a clunk from the front end...if so the bushings are knackered....and yes, you can replace just the bushings but as mentioned it's not cost effective, and a lot of dealerships won't allow it due to liabilities etc...
Old December 9th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

60K miles for control arm replacement is not unusual, especially if you are driving in an area with rough, potholed roads. My LR3 had them replaced around 52K.

And while I agree these parts and the labor seem expensive (especially $50 for an oil filter) remeber that you're driving a $60k luxury vehicle. So do some comparison shopping on service rates for a BMW or Porsche and you'll find they are pretty comparable.

There's a lot of overhead that's got to be covered in these fancy car stores!
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old December 9th, 2015, 11:49 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Well maybe the LR dealer labor rate and time for job isn't that bad. Maybe the cause of the repair price shock for late model LR owners is the insane part cost and timeline for replacement.

I mean 40k miles for control arm replacement?! Yes it is a fancy $60k vehicle but doesn't LR tout them as being able to handle rough terrain? My Sub is another $60k vehicle and my front end was fine for 100k miles and I drive it hard. I replaced upper and lower control arms, struts (and these are the Auto-Ride computer controlled ones) and hardware for around $1k and did the work in my driveway with hand tools. To be honest only the lower bushings had a lot of play but I just swapped everything as a "might as well".
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:34 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Control arm bushing are weakness of these trucks. I did mine at 50k but they were shot at 40.
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

My wife's LR4 is at 95k and just had the lower control arms replaced for the second time. Primary warranty the first time and extended the second time, both covered. Press the issue, nicely, and see how it rolls.

Haven't had the sunroof issue yet, knock wood, so not sure how the warranty would handle that.
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
My wife's LR4 is at 95k and just had the lower control arms replaced for the second time. Primary warranty the first time and extended the second time, both covered. Press the issue, nicely, and see how it rolls. Haven't had the sunroof issue yet, knock wood, so not sure how the warranty would handle that.

So far service girl is telling me bushings are only covered by cpo when they are leaking? Mine are not leaking so they are not covered.

??
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:02 AM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Basically even after politely complaining the service girl said she would talk to boss and get back to me.
After talking to the boss they will not cover any of the repairs.
They will not waive water leak diagnosis charge.

But they will offer me a 10 percent discount!

Long story short they won't help me.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
So far service girl is telling me bushings are only covered by cpo when they are leaking? Mine are not leaking so they are not covered.

??
The bushings are fluid filled and when they start knocking that means the fluid has leaked out.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:18 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Do you get a written contract with the warranty? I would start with the contract and if it is vague and unclear have an attorney friend write the dealership a letter.

The pre-certified inspection is a 150 point inspection that documents what condition the vehicle is in. Does the inspection include the sunroof frames and bushings?

If so, then they should be covered unless they are contractually excluded. All easy for me to say here from the cheap seats I realize. Just trying to offer some help in thinking this through.

I could never work for a company that shits in its customers like JLR does. What a disgrace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Winston-Rover
Mike Giovannozzi
95 D-90 ST

Quote:
dropped of my LR4 for an oil change and to look at a water leak coming from sun roof.
I dropped my 2012 LR4 off at the dealer Monday morning for the same exact thing (oil change and sunroof leak). It's now Thursday and they still haven't gotten back to me with a quote. can't wait to see what list of issues and BS quote they come up with after having it for so long.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:32 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
The pre-certified inspection is a 150 point inspection that documents what condition the vehicle is in. Does the inspection include the sunroof frames and bushings?
It's 165 point now, apparently.

Of points #113-133 which pertain to the undercarriage, none are specifically for bushings. #114 is "suspension" which is vaguely worded.

#86 is the glass roof panel.
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:42 AM
koltonstanley
Kolton Stanley
defender 130 hi cap

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
It's 165 point now, apparently. Of points #113-133 which pertain to the undercarriage, none are specifically for bushings. #114 is "suspension" which is vaguely worded. #86 is the glass roof panel.
Yea she says sunroof frame is not covered.
If it was something else it may be but not the frame.

Is this worth emailing Land Rover USA or should I save the pain and time and just move on.

I already had my wife pick up truck and pay the $300 something bill for oil change and water leak diagnosis.

I just am not sure it's worth the stress....
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Yea she says sunroof frame is not covered.
If it was something else it may be but not the frame.

Is this worth emailing Land Rover USA or should I save the pain and time and just move on.

I already had my wife pick up truck and pay the $300 something bill for oil change and water leak diagnosis.

I just am not sure it's worth the stress....
Well, if JLR has no problem shitting on its customers like they appear to do I doubt call the HQ will render much improvement. The damage is pretty much done so the only thing that'll hurt is your feelings.

Unfortunately the best place to have rectified this was up front if you had known these are regular reoccurring problems in the brand/model.

Consumers are so bleeping soft these days that this is now the way to do business. Hell, we pay $5 for coffee milkshakes every morning so what's the harm in a jelly-filled control arm donut bushing and a shitty designed sunroof frame rail once in a while.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
land rover