Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 30th, 2008, 11:30 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Land Rover LR3?????

Hi,

My sister out in LA is the original owner of a 1998 Discovery. It is finally starting to wear out and have problems and costly repairs. It is also the car she take her 1.5 year old daughter in, and she needs something with a bit more reliability. She has the jump seats and says she needs the ability to hold the extra people. She has only ever driven a Land Rover product since learning to drive and loves them.....

She is now in the market for a new car. She is considering the LR3, and several more SUVs and Wagons. She is only looking at things that have a third row of seating - but does not want something that feels 'too huge'. She needs 4 doors (cause I am trying to convince her to buy a good old reliable Defender), and feels the 110s are way too expensive for their age........

I told her I would ask all of you what you on my D-90 Page what you really thought of the Land Rover LR3. And if not the LR3 - what should she be looking at?

Thanks for all of your opinions........I will forward her all your answers when the tread slows down.....

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I'd have no problem recommending the LR3 to someone in that situation.. It seems to fit the bill perfectly.. I wanted to try to get my sister to buy one of them as well. I haven't heard of many reliability issues with them..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 31st, 2008, 12:26 PM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

I vote BMW 330xi-I entertained the ide of purchasing a Disco II (04) or RR HSE(05) for my wife..My wife started looking at BMW's (06 330Xi), she wanted the Xi. She bought a 06 330xi.Her reasons were short...maintenece, ease of parking. She had an old 5 series a long time ago, and after driving an Accord for many years, felt that returning to BMW was the next logical step for her and our family needs (we have two girls and no pets). She loves it, and I love it whenever I am not driving my Taurus or my RR. I am back to looking at 05RR's and I will probably pull the trigger around April. My wife already has plans for how she can use a "new" RR. So that means I will still get to drive her Xi and my 94RR and the Taurus, which I call the family cab (It looks just like the/a Columbia Cab)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2008, 01:17 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Have her get a Tahoe. More power and better mileage. They have no style and everyone has one, but for a soccer mom car they do a decent job. Besides, Land Rovers have horrible resale value.

Don't get me wrong, I love older Land Rovers, but I'm not a fan of the new stuff.

FWIW, I have a 3/4T Suburban, that isn't any fun to drive, but it does a good job hauling the kids (4) around, and tows my Rover projects around well too.

-Jeff
I agree on the Tahoe and have her look at the new bodied ones. I also agree - like the older LR stuff but the new stuff just doesn't do it for me. Looks like LR is more interested in selling chrome vs. off-road packages these days based on my visit to the local dealer last week.

I do disagree however, on the driving of Yukon, Tahoe, XL's/Suburban - at least the new bodied ones. We bought a Yukon XL last summer and I have to say it drives great. I've driven it to VT and back to NJ about 6x so far and I feel less fatigued, it will go 75 MPH without worry, and the fuel economy isn't too bad (I average 16 MPG on the highway w/ the thing loaded w/ 3 kids, 2 adults, and all our stuff).

We had the previous body Chevy Z71 and that didn't feel as solid but felt like it had a bit more interior volume.

Doing a quick search on KBB, the GMC's Yukon is similiar in price to the LR3, has tons more power and a little better fuel economy. And that is with the heavier Denali package. The Hybrid or Flex models will get better fuel economy at the expense of a less feature in the interior. But it's a kid hauler. We went with the Denali package and caption seats and have been happy - even tho it's messy most of the time.

Other SUV's: Merc's GL w/ the oil burner and Toyota's LC. My mom-in-law has the GL500 and it is NICE. IIRC, the GL was rated far better then other similiar SUV's in the last C&D test. We had the Toyo FJ100 before the 'Burban and that rig was great. It would still be in my driveway if kid #3 didn't come along. And the newer bodied ones got great reviews in 4W&OR and Four Wheeler magazines.
Old January 31st, 2008, 01:49 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Toyota Sequoia
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:24 PM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

we purchased an LR3 about six months ago (this forum played an important role in that) and we are very happy. We also were looking for the third row and you will not be disappointed. We are very pleased with our decision. gh
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thanks for all the opinions.....

1. I will have her put the Tahoe and the Toyota Sequioa on her list

2. Does the BMW 330ix have a third row?

3. There was enough good thoughts about the LR3 that she could at least go look at it. Glad the third row seating really works. Gas mileage is not really that much of an issue - because she does not put too many miles on it a year. I think she is going to try to keep what she buys another 10 years........like her current 1998 Disco.

Thanks,

Flagg
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Flagg,
My little brother just bought a Jeep Commander and loves it. It's comfortable and has 3 row seating, too. I'm not a fan of them, but he loves it; bought as a hound/kid hauler. He's got the flex engine and the lifetime warranty; says mileage is good, particularly compared to the RRC (I forget what it was).
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
2. Does the BMW 330ix have a third row?
Hey Flagg, the 330xi is a sedan...

I like the Tahoes as well, but based upon what you mentioned in your first post, she might think it feels 'too huge'. The Trailblazer XL are smaller with 3rd row, just not very appealing, but popular here in Michigan with the soccer moms. Another option is the Ford Explorer, a buddy of mine just leased one back in October and is very happy with it.
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I actually like my LR3 a lot, so far at 11k, no problems yet and if something does happen its still under factory warranty until 50k or 4 years, I'm gonna extend it just in case. I get nothing but compliments from it all day.

Robert Deniro
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Don't they make a 330xi wagon? That was what I was asking. I know the Volvo V70 wagon has a third row..............I thought the BMW might?

Flagg
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I don't think so.... Where's Andrew when we need him, he should know for sure.
Old February 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I don't think any Bimmer wagon's come w/ a 3rd row except for maybe the X5.

If she is looking at the wagon option (which I think is a great idea), my wife has a W211 E500 Wagon. We bought it used w/ 40,000 on the clock and have had it for almost 2 years. She loves it and the kids love the rear facing back seats - although I don't think an adult could fit back there.

It's a great vehicle if you don't want the exra size of an SUV. And it has the typcial Mercedes solid feeling and good touring style drivibility.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
94Rover
KCB
NONE

Sorry Flagg, I was writing about the 330Xi sedan, however my mind was focused on the wagon (3rd row option in rear, *it is an option-special order, only comfortable for children).

Follow-up Post:

Once again, I dug deep only to discover that the option for 3rd row seating has been discontinued. For some reason the X3 has forced BMW to rethink 3rd row seating on sedan wagons. So scratch the 330Xi wagon from my suggestions.
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
We purchased our LR3 primarily for the same reasons.
We owned a Disco II that had higher mileage and wanted something that wouldn't be much of a problem dependability wise.
Traded in the Disco for the LR3 and are very pleased. We have the third row, but haven't
used it yet with our baby on board, but I'm sure it will be fine when we would need it.

My parents have a Sequoia and it rides very nice also, but it is a little on the large size as compared
to our previous Disco II. Depending on where you live might determine what vehicle is better for you.

LR3 runs much smoother than Disco II and fits the bill just fine.

Hope that helps

AmityLR3

Oh by the way - I recommend getting extended warranty.
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:35 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Thumbs up lr3

Flagg,
I have owned a 2006 LR3 for the past two years and 36k miles, has been great. In the shop only once for warranty work. On the road with camping gear, loaded Engel fridge, wife, and kid it easily gets 19mpg at 75-80mph. around town I get 14.5 mpg according to on board computer. The 3rd row seats are the best in its class. an adult can sit back there and be comfortable.
I have owned 15 LR's from 73 models to 2006 models. the LR3 is a real LR, it will probably out wheel a stock d90. not that she cares about that. all she needs is a bit of Kit to transform the looks of the LR3.
The LR3 is also much safer than the other cars mentioned, it weighs 5700 pounds and has loads of safety features. The permanent 4wd can't be beat.
as for resale value all vehicles resale sucks right now. Non of the american vehicles mentioned will hold there value. The Toyota will probably be the best for that, but who cares 10 yrs from now. Also toyotas have no soul, who can love a Sequia?(maybe a tree)

That said the LR3 is a great family car. And the two of you can have something else in common. Maybe she will start going to rallys and further the LR love.
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

THANKS everyone,

Thanks for the thoughful replies. I am going to print this tread out and send it too her. Yes Todd - we always have had the Land Rover thing in commen - and hope we keep it. Maybe your post, and several of the others, will help. She is going to have to be able to practically defend this truck to her husband..........I will definitely send her all that people said.

QUESTION:
Is there a way I can send her the direct like to this thread (without trying to tell her how to navigate the page? I know you can do this on other chat forems - but the link at the top of this page never changes no matter what thread you are on?? Or should I just print and sent a hard copy?

Flagg
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:55 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, send her here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=14334
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Charles,

How did you find the link out? Why does mine not display. There have been other times I wanted to do that......

Thanks,

Flagg
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just right click and open in a new window or a new tab with IE8. It will display in the address bar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
lr3