Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 20th, 2016, 11:57 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Land Rover is Dead

I mean.... we've all known it for a while. But we've all been holding our breaths for the new Defender, hoping beyond hope that it might actually be a new DEFENDER.

But Jeep just keeps doing it. For some reason, physics and engineering must just be different for Toyota and Jeep than they are for Land Rover. For some reason, they are able to hold on to the old styling, but make a new car. And they can't make enough of them. There IS room on the market for a Defender DEFENDER. But Land Rover fails to see it.

The Jeep Wrangler Pickup Is Happening And This Is It

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2016, 12:03 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Oh god as if it weren't bad enough with the 4 door Jeeps all over creation....

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2016, 12:10 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Can someone explain to me why the Jeep pickup is treated like the second coming?

It's interesting, probably more expensive than most will be willing to pay for a Jeep, but in a world of F150s and Tacomas, it just seems to me like a niche vehicle at best. The interior of the F150 is difficult to beat and the Wrangler is not a large vehicle on the inside.
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Can someone explain to me why the Jeep pickup is treated like the second coming?

It's interesting, probably more expensive than most will be willing to pay for a Jeep, but in a world of F150s and Tacomas, it just seems to me like a niche vehicle at best. The interior of the F150 is difficult to beat and the Wrangler is not a large vehicle on the inside.
Live axle, multi link coil sprung, diff locks. Basically something that can do real off roading which the F150s and Tacos can not do.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:23 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible, 2011 RRS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
I mean.... we've all known it for a while. But we've all been holding our breaths for the new Defender, hoping beyond hope that it might actually be a new DEFENDER.

But Jeep just keeps doing it. For some reason, physics and engineering must just be different for Toyota and Jeep than they are for Land Rover. For some reason, they are able to hold on to the old styling, but make a new car. And they can't make enough of them. There IS room on the market for a Defender DEFENDER. But Land Rover fails to see it.

The Jeep Wrangler Pickup Is Happening And This Is It

Not to mention the Galendewagen.

That has seen less "generation" changes than the wrangler over the same time period.

Granted it is over priced but a D110 could easily be priced lower and hit the same market.

I say it is over priced because when it was first released by MBUSA its base price was in the mid to high 70's. I heard they raised the price because MB didn't want it to canibilze sales away from the GL. LOL. A GL priced 10k high would still outsell a G-Wagen.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post

A lot has to do with the lifestyle the jeep portrays. Much like the defender it screams adventure to people. As for interior or comfort, the jeep nor the defender is ever going to compete with a Ford or Toyota, but thats not why people buy these. It's like like buying a rolex that looses time every day. Sure the Timex works better but you still want what the Rolex lifestyle is perceived as.

I recently saw the AV Brute version of this truck and it was cool. If every idiot with a flat brimmed hat in California wasn't already ordering one I might be inclined to drive this.

Wonder if it will be offered diesel. I know stick will be an option.
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Message from Gerry: "All you douche source wankers can stuff it. Yankee haters gonna hate"

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 20th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wrangler gets a 2.8l VM diesel in Europe versus the 3.0 V6 they stuff into the Promaster and Ram 1500 PU. I can't seem them homogating two different engines for North America
Old July 20th, 2016, 01:10 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Live axle, multi link coil sprung, diff locks. Basically something that can do real off roading which the F150s and Tacos can not do.
Doubt it. 75% of the people driving plastic bumper jeeps don't know what the hell a live axle or locker is. This is about new looks and meeting poser demand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 20th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Doubt it. The people driving plastic bumper 4x4's don't know what the hell a live axle or locker is. This about looks period.
He asked why people where excited about it. I came the reason that off road oriented people are excited about this as compared to a Tacoma.....

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:32 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Thanks...that makes sense that this is designed to appeal to those people who want a pickup that can take Jeep accessories and live the Jeep lifestyle.

Any idea on price? The 4 door unlimited starts at $27.7. If they can keep the quad cab pickup under $31-32k then they put a lot of heat on the Tacoma.
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:55 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Doubt it. 75% of the people driving plastic bumper jeeps don't know what the hell a live axle or locker is. This is about new looks and meeting poser demand.
isnt this the reason people drive Range Rovers?
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Quote:
More like 95% of jeep owners don't know what the hell a live axle or locker is, you give them too much credit.
Old July 20th, 2016, 04:14 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
or a transfer case

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 20th, 2016, 06:43 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
I wonder if that could just be more cover for production jeep wrangler africa. Pickup although desired by some isn't going to really be useful enough. The 4 door ones made the useless interiors of the 2 doors useful for a single or two child family. The huge interior of the africa would be a mega step up and make up for the shortfall of the unlimited (tiny ass trunk).

I'm pretty sure that gas tank is in the bed. An actual bed on that will be worthless. AEV can pull it off because there aren't many ppl who want that and those that do have loads of money. The larger capacity station wagon will swing all SUV sales their way.

Small pickup market had no room. If it did we would have the Ranger.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old July 20th, 2016, 07:30 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
The last few years of the Tdi Ranger make me want a Ford.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old July 20th, 2016, 08:07 PM
xjahx
JAH
'93 NAS 110, '94 NAS ST, '85 90 PU

Registry
I wonder what this will do to the AEV Brute trucks and their value. Currently, 6.4l hemi, rubicon (d44, lockers), with AEV off road package Brute's go for 90-120k lightly used. Never seen one in the 80s.
Old July 20th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

OK, What pick up is a T-top, Convertible, Live axles, boxy off road looks....etc. Nothing anymore. Well maybe one when the Bronco comes back. Just look at the resale values of the wranglers. They keep their price. Not to mention the world wide sales potential. It also will put them in the most profitable segment of the car industry, in the States at least. You may not like them but they sure do sell.
Old July 20th, 2016, 10:37 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The wrangler Africa edition would make me seriously consider letting go
Old July 21st, 2016, 12:06 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wranglers profits are probably the only think holder FCA together.
They push the price higher yearly. That's good for Defenders!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
land rover