Land Rover Dealer, Antwerp Belgium - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 23rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
Real Name
2013 110 SW/2012 LR4
Land Rover Dealer, Antwerp Belgium

On a fun and work road trip, we went from Stuttgart to a small city in Belgium to see some friends. Had a great meal, good conversation, and learned the are moving to Granada in two months. Always good to have friends with a spare room.

Today we did a great zoo in Ath, Belgium. It is a zoo, yes, but much less restictive that US zoos, and the animals have room to roam. After a good portion of the day, we left Ath enroute to Amersfoort, NLD. As we hit stop and go traffic in Antwerp, we experienced horrible driveline chatter. On deceleration, when shifting into neutral to come to a complete stop, the truck sounded like a u-joint was failing. As we have 7 more days ahead, wife looked up closest JLR. Luckily, 1.5 km away, she located Metropool JLR. It was 4:30 PM. All techs gone at 4.

I walked in and the reception folks stated Master Technician was still there. He came out, took us for a test drive to diagnose, and asked a few questions. As I am already booked for service in Stuttgart on 6June, and explained the intermediate shaft issue, (Puma driveline converters, be ware!) he said this particular noise might be parking break. He dropped us in front, we had a coffee (although the showroom fridge has Maes and Jupiler, too early to start on beers) and waited 10 minutes.

He came back and stated the parking brake was adjusted too tight, and the shoes can heat up in stop and go traffic, and rub drum even with brake off. He had put the truck on the lift and adjusted the brake himself. That repair has stopped the clatter. Well, that specific clatter... Hopefully the dealer who gets it for service in June will listen to me and repair/replace my intermediate shaft, per the JLR documentation.

I just wanted to state that this is what dealer service is all about, and even though we were just passing through, it was nice to have them take care of us. If you are ever in Antwerp/southern Netherlands, stop in for a coffee or beer.

Also noticed Euro Discovery4/LR4s are equipped with Goodyear Wrangler Radials, marked M&S.

Old May 24th, 2016, 09:02 AM
'96 hybrid
Thank you for sharing. Very nice that you were fortunate to have such a good experience and be able to get back on the road so easily. Did you take any photos at the zoo ?

shoefnik wrote: "It’s funny how that moral line you draw for modifying your Rover changes as your needs change."
Old May 24th, 2016, 09:09 AM
1995 RRC SWB
Ah... Jupiler, our Natty Light. I miss that beer.
1984 Camel Trophy 110
1995 Range Rover Classic SWB
1992 Range Rover Classic SWB

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

land rover