Lamenting the repair cycle (a bitch session) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Lamenting the repair cycle (a bitch session)

So, here I am. 4 days in on a truck repair and no D-90. Did a good deed last Friday and ran up the curb (low speed) to not hit a stray dog. Even got out of the truck to find the owner. Well as I drove off I noticed the check engine light was lit and the spedometer was not working. So last Saturday went under the truck hood for a look. Couldn't see anything (truth be told the spedometer sensor would have stumpt me any way) but while looking I noticed that coolant was dripping onto the fan belt. Ah, that must be the warning light. Well, work is a bitch and I have no time to look further so I call up the local LR dealership (only place in miles who work on Defenders) and got the bad boy in for 7am Monday. I was there 1st by 45minutes.

Day 1 - Monday 4pm the dealership still has not looked at it (too busy even though I was first in line). Noon on Tuesday they have identified that the spedometer cable from the sensor into the cabin broke and needs replacing. However the sensor and the other cable - from the senor to the tranny- MAY be OK. I am told that this type of damage often craps out the sensor (? any experience with that?). So now it is a gamble on the repair - $400 to replace the cable part 1 but maybe face $130hr x 2 to look further if issues arise or pay $700 and have all 3 components replaced upfront. How strange, the math makes the complete replacement seem cost effective.

Day 2 - So end of the day Tuesday the LR dealership solves the coolant leak. Yep, its the water pump. As I said - to busy at work so I need them to do it - $700 to repace that. Oh, and the check engine warning light - they still do not know what it is. As the 82k check up was performed in August at 81500 and the truck is now at 83500 (on the good side I just realised I have driven only 2000 miles since August 10th) the light is either an electrical short or something huge.

Day 3 - Wednesday afternoon hoped to get the truck back. Nope - the only mechanic who can work on Defenders had a family emergence (it happens and he should be home with the family) but a LR dealership who can not look after a Defender??! They do not call me, I had to call them to follow up. No way the truck is coming out today, maybe Thursday. So LR offers a rental car for the night (my wife and I both work and it is now impacting both our work schedules) to cover until end day Thursday. I send my wife as I have lost too much time already. She is driven to Enterprise to learn the LR dealership was not even paying for the car rental. LR's offer was to drive me to the rental company to pick up a rental but not cover the rental. Gee just because they, LR are two days behind schedule and do not have LR vehicle trained staff I get to rent a car.

As I said, a rant - a bitch session, I feel no better but god damn it. A dealership who can not even work on their own brand. Ugg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Land Rover TO? When it comes to any dealership I always expect the worst. You gotta start learning how to do some of the work yourself Paul. If you want to affordably owne a 94', you have to start getting greasy, theres no other way. Water pump is really easy, 2 hours of work and a $100 part, you can even get a lifetime warranty one from autozone for like 240 bucks, I think its less can't remember right now. If you don't have time, make it, or mabye perhaps involve the family, get creative and good luck.

Neil
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Or find a good Land Rover shop near by that is highly recommended. I have a local shop that I now go to insead of a Dearler. Everytime I go there are several Defenders and old Series in the lot. I know I am at the right place. They are incredibally knowledgeable on the Defender.

The problem with the dealerships is that The Defender has not been sold in this country for 10 years. Most people seem to have given up on the Dealers. They may not even have techs that know how to work properly on D90s. On in your case - they have one.......

I bet someone on this page can recommend a good shop near Thousand Oaks, CA...........

Doing the work yourself, as Neil says, would be another great idea. I, like you, do not have the time or knowledge right now. But I am trying to learn when I have time..........

For now - when I need something major done - I find my Land Rover shop to be cheeper, faster, and more knowledgable than the dealer.

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Hey Bert, where is this local shop that you speak of?
The only local I know of is Treasured Motorcars, and at a trip around 695 they aren't that local.
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

if your speedo is not working your engine light will come on. 10 min job to replace cable, then disconnect the battery for 15 mins to reset the check engine light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

only 1 mechanic there can work on defenders? you def. need to find an independent shop

PS I have a 94 and when I bought it, the speedo cable was not hooked up, and no check engine light...
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Trae,

The local shop I am speaking of is Treasured Motor Cars. I think they have treated me and my D90 well there.

The trip arround 695 does suck with traffic......but it is only about 25-30 minutes or so during the middle of the day without traffic.

The D90 no longer is a daily driver for me..........I usually get up there once every 6 months or so. It is sometimes difficult to arrange a ride..........but I think it is worth it to deal with someone that I feel knows my truck.

Where are you in Ellicott City! We may see each other arround someday. We might live close. I am on the south side of Columbia in King's Contrivance.

Where do you take your truck??? Always good to know another mechanic.......

Flagg
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:52 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Work on your own truck.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

In all fairness, some of us don't have the time, or the knowledge, or the time to obtain that knowlege to work on our own truck.

I wish I did. I wish I was a better mechanic. I continue trying to learn. Owning this truck has taught me alot over the years. I still, by no means, consider myself a mechanic.

My job, and my family, just do not give me the time.........perhaps one day I will do all the work on my truck - I do keep learning.

But right now I am happy to have an independent Land Rover shop that I trust.........

Flagg
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

This doesn't help Paul, and I realize I'm the new guy here... but have any of you Maryland locals considered getting together to figure things out on the trucks? I have a Ducati, and often there are get-togethers specifically as a garage day... the newbs learn how to wrench, the old crusty pros generally relax among the teaching.

I have an old Volvo wagon. We bought it as a beater to haul the hounds around. We also figured it's a practic car for me. I'd only ever done oil changes before. New Year's this year I changed the timing belt and tensioner as well as the cam seal and cam cover gasket. Nothing big at all, but I sure as hell was proud. My neighbor helped me with the brakes, and now I'll tackle that when I have to. I'm short on time and knowledge, too... but these Rovers are supposed to be easy to work on (among the top 3 reasons I chose a Rover).

I like the Ducati model - get together to fix someone's water pump, alternator, or what-have-you. Everyone has fun BS-ing, and the uninformed become enlightened... I didn't even know how to adjust the chain tension on my bike... now I'm considering changing the sprocket and tires, too.

just a thought from a board newb. I don't plan to rely on LR Annapolis or treasured motorcars (too far).
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is called a R.O.V.E.R.S. club shop day.

Ron
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
This doesn't help Paul, and I realize I'm the new guy here... but have any of you Maryland locals considered getting together to figure things out on the trucks? I have a Ducati, and often there are get-togethers specifically as a garage day... the newbs learn how to wrench, the old crusty pros generally relax among the teaching.

I have an old Volvo wagon. We bought it as a beater to haul the hounds around. We also figured it's a practic car for me. I'd only ever done oil changes before. New Year's this year I changed the timing belt and tensioner as well as the cam seal and cam cover gasket. Nothing big at all, but I sure as hell was proud. My neighbor helped me with the brakes, and now I'll tackle that when I have to. I'm short on time and knowledge, too... but these Rovers are supposed to be easy to work on (among the top 3 reasons I chose a Rover).

I like the Ducati model - get together to fix someone's water pump, alternator, or what-have-you. Everyone has fun BS-ing, and the uninformed become enlightened... I didn't even know how to adjust the chain tension on my bike... now I'm considering changing the sprocket and tires, too.

just a thought from a board newb. I don't plan to rely on LR Annapolis or treasured motorcars (too far).

What you are describing would require grown men to fearlessly tread into the scary unknown of meeting other men in person that he met off the internet. Here in Los Angeles, thats a pretty scary thought as you bend over that front radiator support to finger tighten those water pump bolts while your new 350lb internet buddy methodically stares on from your backside. (Need I explain any further?) I don't care who you are, if your reading this, than you've had reservations about meeting some strange dude on the net even if it is for help. I suggest some sort of matrix like chatroom where we all "plug in" and practise work on a virtual 3-d Conniston Green 94 D-90 model (The most problematic year). Ok I'm kidding with the homophobia but in all seriousness, I'm sure you could join a rover club like the Solihull Society and its members would be more than willing to help someone in need. I know we have SCLR here in SoCal.

Neil
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Now that you put it that way...! It is rather terrifying... it's even more embarrassing to admit to real-world friends that you met the guy on the internet... I've met a few online folks and was horribly nervous each time. But I got a crew spot on a boat delivery job out of it, so nervousness and awkward feelings paid off. Nonetheless, it can be daunting. I met one feller from this board. He's good people, and the meet paid off handsomely - I learned that the Defender doesn't fit me that well, and I fell back in love with my original LR target vehicle - the Range Rover (his was tres cool).
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Matt,

Just join R.O.V.E.R.S. We cover the eastern and central PA, Southern NJ, Delaware, Maryland area (centered outside philadelphia). We do have one gay couple so Neil is not far off the mark with who you might meet on the internet. I forget the guy's name, but he sewed a really, really nice bimini top for his partner's D90. It was purple :-) I thought it was extremely well done workmanship.

There is a shop day at least once a quarter.

Ron
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

A few of us get together with some frequency in Northern Va (usually Arlington) for tech days which usually denegrate into beer day pretty quickly.
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Beer... (drool)
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:49 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Matt,

Just join R.O.V.E.R.S. We cover the eastern and central PA, Southern NJ, Delaware, Maryland area (centered outside philadelphia). We do have one gay couple so Neil is not far off the mark with who you might meet on the internet. I forget the guy's name, but he sewed a really, really nice bimini top for his partner's D90. It was purple :-) I thought it was extremely well done workmanship.

There is a shop day at least once a quarter.

Ron
They moved to Mass last year.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:01 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
What you are describing would require grown men to fearlessly tread into the scary unknown of meeting other men in person that he met off the internet. Here in Los Angeles, thats a pretty scary thought
I found some Disco buddies online and got with them to do some shop days. I mean, yeah its kinda different meeting new people over the internet, but if you go into it with the mentality that you are going to meet some 350 pound gay dude that you think you wont mesh well with, then you wont get your truck fixed or meet someone nice. most Rover people i have met have been down to earth nice guys and girls. nothing wrong with meeting some new people with similar interest.
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
I found some Disco buddies online and got with them to do some shop days. I mean, yeah its kinda different meeting new people over the internet, but if you go into it with the mentality that you are going to meet some 350 pound gay dude that you think you wont mesh well with, then you wont get your truck fixed or meet someone nice. most Rover people i have met have been down to earth nice guys and girls. nothing wrong with meeting some new people with similar interest.
Oh ok, so ini88.....................A/S/L?
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij

"most Rover people i have met have been down to earth nice guys and girls. nothing wrong with meeting some new people with similar interest."

Except me of course!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat