Lamborghini LM002 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Lamborghini LM002

Rather than hijack another thread does anyone have actual experiance with these, I saw one member owned one brieflly. They were made from 1985 to 93 any idea of how many were imported and how much they sell for ?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Love this http://manonthemove.com/2010/01/26/l...t-stratton-vt/
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:27 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
http://www.lm002.com/registry.htm

Total of 261 civilian [including 60 LM/American] and 40 military versions were built between 1986-1992.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Fotogr4
Corey McNabb
'80 Series III 109, '96 DI, '04 DII

I had a friend that had one years ago in California. It was a real beast! Sadly, he always had issues with it and repairs were exorbitant as one might expect. Still, when it was running, we had a blast in it and it always got head turns everywhere we went... of course, the majority of the time he was driving up and down Rodeo Dr. and not off-road.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:46 AM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/

That's the best place to find out about the "Rambo Lambo". The rarest of the rare. But of course, there is wayyyy less activity on that forum than here. Most of the guys on there have several Lamborghinis and have experience with them, much like guys on here have with 90s and 110s.

Prices are pretty wild, they range from about $50k for a beat-up horrible condition truck, to about $185k for a pristine LM002 American. Sometimes, you can find them in the $70k range as people want to download toys. Other than that, I've seen some very rare circumstances where people in the middle east will sell them for about $20k-$30k. But figuring out how to get those things back is the mystery.

Only about 300 were made. 1 was owned by one of Saddam Hussein's sons, and the Army blew it up in Iraq, oops. Haha You can find pictures of that online.

Other than that, the newer models, specifically the LM002 Americans (LM002-A) are the best in my opinion. Only about 70-80 of these were made. They are not very spacious inside, but are a little longer in length than a Hummer H1. Only 3 Cheetah trucks were made, these were the prototypes that were submitted for military review, but were never excepted and no contract awarded. I think one is in a museum somewhere, and the other 2 are unknown.

There's a guy out in Washington state that is selling 3 right now http://www.catsexotics.com/web/1317/inventory This guy bought up a couple off of ebay, and has driven up the price tags about 30-50k...

Parts are hard to come by, obviously. In fact, some of the guys have been switching their tires to mud tires. Rims are also an issue, and super rare. Headlights can be retro-fitted by using G55 or G500 Mercedes headlights.

The only thing that sort of "perks" my ears up is the fact that every 3k miles in a Lamborghini, for servicing, you have to take the engine out of the vehicle to do proper checks and whatnot. And that costs close to $10k....

All in all, interesting truck, looks mean and ugly. No one knows what they are, and they're awesome in my book. One day...

Old March 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Generally speaking Italian cars are built like crap, regardless of price. Real money pits. Caveat emptor.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:42 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
It seems like more of a novelty rather than a usable platform.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
It seems like more of a novelty rather than a usable platform.
I was in a dealership when these were available (dating myself) @ VOB BMW in Rockville Md. I was there to buy a part for my hopped up BMW 745i. The salesman was doing his best but the truck cost as much as most peoples homes @ the time. The idea of a truck capable of 140mph across the desert seemed incredible @ the time...

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Generally speaking Italian cars are built like crap, regardless of price. Real money pits. Caveat emptor.

Let me know when you want to put your money where your mouth is, and I mean real test, not keyboard talk
Old March 9th, 2011, 09:38 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
But they are so damn cool! My uncle works at a Fiat plant in Italy and he told me once... "The Italians invented the turbo, we put one bolt in it while the Japanese put 2 bolts in it" haha.

I think back in the 70/80s there weren't too good. But today, Italian cars and build very well.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Let me know when you want to put your money where your mouth is, and I mean real test, not keyboard talk
I wasn't born yesterday, my friend. You'd take me on a fool's errand.

------ Follow up post added March 9th, 2011 12:42 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
But they are so damn cool! My uncle works at a Fiat plant in Italy and he told me once... "The Italians invented the turbo, we put one bolt in it while the Japanese put 2 bolts in it" haha.

I think back in the 70/80s there weren't too good. But today, Italian cars and build very well.
Well, nobody in the USA has a chance to find out cuz the Italians don't sell any cars here. They're afraid that their bad rep will precede them, justifiably.

1968 2A 88

Old March 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
I wasn't born yesterday, my friend. You'd take me on a fool's errand.

------ Follow up post added March 9th, 2011 12:42 PM ------

Well, nobody in the USA has a chance to find out cuz the Italians don't sell any cars here. They're afraid that their bad rep will precede them, justifiably.
Ohhh Bill Bill.... I bet these guy will challenge your statement as would I.

http://www.maseratiofwashington.com/

http://www.ferrariofwashington.com/

http://www.lamborghiniofwashington.com/
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
The percentage of Italian cars sold in the USA is several decimal places to the right of the period (.00024% in 2010), virtually nonexistant. Maserati, Ferrari, and Lambo sell expensive cars that fall apart after only a few thousand miles of driving. The design is there but the execution is very poor. I don't see them increasing production or market share any time soon. I think it's a cruel joke that you have to take a 150K dollar car to the dealer for $5000 worth of work every 3000 miles. I call that a POS.
Maybe now that FIAT owns Chrysler they will start sending some Italian-made cars our way, but with Hyundai, Honda, and Toyota as competition they will be very hard pressed to make any money with them.

When Alfa Romeo and FIAT were selling cars here in the 60-80s they were very badly done. People associate the build quality of those days even now. It would take some really sharp marketing to get people to buy Italian again.

1968 2A 88

Old March 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
The percentage of Italian cars sold in the USA is several decimal places to the right of the period (.00024% in 2010), virtually nonexistant. Maserati, Ferrari, and Lambo sell expensive cars that fall apart after only a few thousand miles of driving. The design is there but the execution is very poor. I don't see them increasing production or market share any time soon. I think it's a cruel joke that you have to take a 150K dollar car to the dealer for $5000 worth of work every 3000 miles. I call that a POS.
Maybe now that FIAT owns Chrysler they will start sending some Italian-made cars our way, but with Hyundai, Honda, and Toyota as competition they will be very hard pressed to make any money with them.

When Alfa Romeo and FIAT were selling cars here in the 60-80s they were very badly done. People associate the build quality of those days even now. It would take some really sharp marketing to get people to buy Italian again.
And of course you do own or have owned some of these POS to talk based on experience right?

I've put 65,000 miles on my old Diablo ( 91 ), commuting 55mi each way, put 78,000 on my old Ferrari 308 QV just to name a few, I treated that 308 like I would a hyundai, left on the street, drove it on rain ( tried snow and wasn't fun ), so look at the the true facts ( and maybe go get one before you say things like that )

Still love you , but you need to get your head out of your own ass
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Its not that Italians don't sell them here its because our Govt regulation won't let them. You should know this. its like the Defender. ie: airbags, bumper height, 3rd brake lights, fog lights, height of rear lights, type of fuels, and so on.

Fiat will more than likely rebrand their cars as Chrysler here. Fiat Punto will equal Chrysler something.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Dont swear at me.....

Im not driving a Punto, I dont care who makes it.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Its not that Italians don't sell them here its because our Govt regulation won't let them. You should know this. its like the Defender. ie: airbags, bumper height, 3rd brake lights, fog lights, height of rear lights, type of fuels, and so on.

Fiat will more than likely rebrand their cars as Chrysler here. Fiat Punto will equal Chrysler something.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:31 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Its not that Italians don't sell them here its because our Govt regulation won't let them.
Those makers who stick with selling to the EU are ignoring the world's largest automobile market. Easier to sit out than comply. They could sell here if they built them to meet safety standards.

Quote:
And of course you do own or have owned some of these POS to talk based on experience right?
Wouldn't ever, never ever.

Gus, I'm sure you love your go-fast cars, and my apologies if I offend you with my opinion, but I know enough to stay clear. My colleague regales me with his own Ferrari woes, which has turned me off completely. Driving one is the reward for the pain of ownership.
I guess as long as there are anesthesiologists and dentists in their mid fifties suffering male pattern baldness and mid life crises, there will be Ferraris in the US.

1968 2A 88

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:38 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I saw of the 4wd lambo's parked in georgetown (dc) some time back in 88 or 90, I wanna say it was black and it definively had diplomat tags.
never seen another on the streets, I guess the low production #'s tell the tale. spoke with someone about it some 10 yrs ago, I was told I was nuts that lambo never had a 4wd. I guess said person would respond the same if I said I saw a lght blue ferrari 4d sedan driving on rt 50 in arlington two weeks ago sporting diplomat tags.
there are so many rare and exotic vehicles outside of the states, that in the off chance one made it into the states
it would be a blurr on the observer's mind.
take the russian "volga" seen it once when Gorby visited Reagan.... or was it the old Bush who was in office at a that time?...
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Carlos, I can top that , while in Maranello ( don't ask why *LOL* ) I stood next to couple of Ferrari Station Wagon , yeap Station Wagon, but no one will ever think they were made, and the sedan , according to the People of Maranello, was a special order for a King or Sheik

All were 456.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Wow...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat