Laguna Niguel/Dana Point - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:50 AM
Tony Brooks
Laguna Niguel/Dana Point

Back out to Laguna next week for work, staying in dana point. There should be a night or two off from client engagements -- any places not to miss for food or drink? I've heard that the Surgin Cowboy and The Brew House are worth stopping by; what else?

EXPO Review
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
barry f
94 ST #395
I go here all the time:
Home | Tamarind of London

Also going to the Montage in Laguna is nice for a drink.

Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool!
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:20 PM
1994 Defender 90
I was just out in Dana Point a few weeks ago. Had a great dinner at Waterman's, right down in the harbor (next to the ferry dock to Catalina). Javier's on PCH north of Laguna is always great. A friend had dinner last week at Sand & Surf in Laguna and said it was great.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:18 PM
James Wallace
Defender 90 1997 NAS ST
I still have a house in Laguna, but choose not to live there any more. However, having lived there on and off since kindergarten, I do know a few places to eat. The Casa Del Camino at 1289 S. Coast Hwy is widely touted as the best sunset drink on the coast with the rooftop bar and excellent bitings restaurant downstair (this has nothing to do with the fact that my family owned the place for 23 years, but sold it in the late 90's). Javier's is good, especially if your goal is to pick up recently divorced women/men. I like the little dive, "The Feast" on Glenneyre just north of Thalia st. for Mexican fare. Las Brisas is another excellent place to get hammered and also meet or observe singles in the mating dance, best peach daiquiris. You can then walk along the cliff walks and the beach boardwalk to hopefully walk off and metabolize some of the booze. If I want actually fresh seafood (the definition of fresh is becoming increasingly looser), I go to the Balboa Peninsula to the "Crab Cooker." No frills, excellent fresh seafood (challenging parking).

Laguna and Dana Point, not really great for seafood. Tourists can't tell the difference between shark or swordfish, scallops or or meat punched out of ray fins in the shape of scallops. They also frequently can't tell the difference between fresh and recently thawed from exposed Siberian seafloor fish. I would recommend more, but I would have to confirm their continued existence. Restaurants in Laguna have an average lifespan of roughly 6 months. Never could quantify what makes one persist or fold, certainly isn't related to the quality of food served (my mom sold restaurants for about 10 years in Laguna).

Really the only thing I enjoy to there now is take walks in the morning from one side of town to the other along the beach. There are the "Art" places to visit as well, however the definition of "Art" is closely related to the earlier discourse on fish. Most of the artists from Laguna have either died from liver failure or moved to Sedona or Santa Fe (lower rent).
Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:24 PM
87 D110 (Ruby)
Not Laguna - but close...

A Restaurant....simply fantastic
For CaliMex Seafood - and jaw dropping views - Las Brisas (Laguna)
Javiers - any one of them is great for CaliMex and Marguerita's
"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:55 PM
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)
Sweet area. Just got back a couple of days ago from Montecito. Go there! If you can't, stop at the Laguna Ritz for tea and an afternoon snack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat