Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:05 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

KTM fans?

Anyone know the KTM Adventure motorcycles?
Seems I'm between a BMW F800GS and a KTM 990 Adventure...
I know this is a Rover forum, but in the past there have been some dual sport guys here.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Cirbo is a KTM guy...come to think about it he was a BMW guy, then a KTM guy, and now a BMW guy again. Jim?
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:43 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

I am a HUGE KTM guy-my two favorite bikes in the shop are my 250 XC-FW and my 990 adventure. The BMW is a nice bike, and I have had a 650 Dakar in the past, but IMHO the KTM is a much better built and thought out bike. I usually take mine up through the Black Hills and out to Colorado for a week every year. The KTM line has never let me down and they are very comfortable in the long haul and VERY capable off road.

Before I picked up the 990 I had a 640 Adventure LC4. I put 40,000 trouble free miles on it and all I ever did was service it and put tires on it-what a fun bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

How is the 990 off road? I keep reading these low speed EFI glitch issues, and a lot of what I do is slow speed off road. Not highly technical stuff at all, but lots of slow speed stuff. Is the EFI glitch stuff just internet BS? I went away from the big GS because it looks like a tank and seems too heavy for me. The 800GS seemed like the perfect balance (something nimble, but more meaty than the 650GS)... but as I look at KTM the 990 seems to be a good mix.
Your opinions??

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Most of the EFI stuff, as it seems with a lot of internet hulabaloo, is fairly overblown. I have had no issues with mine, and just like you I do a lot of slow fire trail type riding. I chose the KTM over the BMW for the same reason as you are considering-I got about 100mi of seat time in on a GS and that tank is HUGE! If I was doing the Paris/Dakar I may reconsider, but for the tight riding I do through the hills and fire trails the KTM was the only choice for me. Either way they are great machines, and a lot of fun off road (Still wouldn't trade my Rover for it though if I had to choose!)

Have you looked at any of the EXC line? If you are more of a off road guy that might be a better way to go. I get off of my 990 and on my 250 XC-FW and it feels like a pit bike!
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:41 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I used to keep a big boxer, 1150GS-A and a 640 LC4 for their obvious differences. These days, I would certainly do the 990 and do it all with one ride. I liked the big Bimmer for long Mexico and Alaska runs, aka- big mile trips w/ few fuel stop options, but the 640 was fantastic trail rig, and city bike. When time is available-LOL, 2 & 4 yo- I'm doing the 990.
Old January 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dave

Have you looked at any of the EXC line? If you are more of a off road guy that might be a better way to go. I get off of my 990 and on my 250 XC-FW and it feels like a pit bike!

EXC is probably what I need, but I have this vision of taking off and doing longer trips and that points me towards the 990. Its like the guys that call me for tricked out Rovers... they'll never go off road, but they have a truck that I built that could. Sadly I think I'm in that category with bikes. I want to go, I want to be able to go as far as the machine is concerned... now I just need the time.

What is the range of your 990?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader
I used to keep a big boxer, 1150GS-A and a 640 LC4 for their obvious differences. These days, I would certainly do the 990 and do it all with one ride. I liked the big Bimmer for long Mexico and Alaska runs, aka- big mile trips w/ few fuel stop options, but the 640 was fantastic trail rig, and city bike. When time is available-LOL, 2 & 4 yo- I'm doing the 990.

Good info. Thanks!

Old January 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

If I were looking at the big dualsports, I'd opt for a KTM over a BMW if it'd see more dirt, and the BMW if it'd see more road.

There's a new KTM showing up around the internet that's good looking as well, something of a GS / Multistrada blend. Given that I don't get offroad much, I'd look at that one as well if it gets to the states.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

I hate to say it but I haven't really figured out the mpg on my 990. If I'm running down the interstate and keeping it at reasonable speeds it does very well. If I am off roading it it seems to really like the dinosaur juice.
I have really been looking at the EXC the last few weeks hard. I don't know if you have ever seen a copy of the KTM hard parts cat. but it is HUGE. I think an EXC with a Dakar tank on it would be a thing of beauty off road, and it seems that more and more that is where I am spending the majority of my time. I just picked up a new SX-50 for my six year old and he loves the jumps!
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

I love my 950 super enduro! More Defenderish than the 990's Range Rovericity...
Old January 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

I agree with you about the 2 bikes.
with a 37" seat height though I think it would get old around town. Love that bike though.

Old January 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
MEUSOC
BRYAN
NAS 110, 95 ST

This is a sweet setup for the 950SE

Follow-up Post:

...and look at the height difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_SPH1730-Edit.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	17564   Click image for larger version

Name:	_SPH9355-Edit.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	17565  

Name:	endurotard2002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	17566  
Old January 31st, 2009, 11:32 PM
Devin W
Devin Walton
None

Another KTM fan

I started riding on a '98 300EXC and still regret the day I sold it. The bike was incredibly reliable, despite my best attempts to break it. Fast forward to 2008, and I bought 990 Adventure. The bike is incredibly easy to ride and well balanced. I noticed some of the jerkiness that has been attributed to the EFI and solved that for the most part with a G2 throttle tube and a different cam. I know there are a lot of guys dedicated to carbs, but I've been happy with EFI and not playing with carb settings. I don't have a lot of extensive trail time on mine (I've got a DR-Z for that), but it get's around great off pavement and my wife likes it better than the Ducati on the street when we ride 2 up. I think my biggest complaint is that the fairing is poorly designed for longer, high speed riding and the wind tends to fatigue you a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:00 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Digging up an old thread, but I just got a KTM 640 Adventure this weekend. Its fun! It's like the Defender of the motorcycle world.... except it has about a 400 mile range on one tank!

Defender tank = 15 gallons
KTM 640 tank = 7 gallons
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	27276  
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
How long do those tires on the 640 last on road? Never really understood the whole 900-1200cc dualsport thing. Too much bike. I rode a 2007 XR650 bored out and completely set-up for the Baja 1000 and that was more than enough bike for me or anyone short of a professional rider...
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
rovertrader
Dale

funny to look back at old post sometimes- I wanted the 990 year and a half ago, got one end of last summer in SLC, and drove her home in two days via Moab for lunch and a trail ride. Loved the GS-A, but haven't looked back.
The big dual sports do fill a segment- be able to cover 2k miles in two days, w/ a stop in Moab. Tight trails can get laborious, but try a k a day on the XR- for days on end... Kinda like a Defender- it can do all things well, but master of nothing. Versatility is key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

You guys are right. the 990 or GSA are great bikes and kings of the long road. Get them in the woods and they are a lot harder to move around. the 640 is a step up from the KLR or DRZ on the road, but not as road worthy as the 990 or GSA. Its hard to choose the bike you want, as riding always changes. I am a small guy at 5'10 160lbs so the 640 was a nice fit.

Roverguy, those super swamper tires on there now are insnae. I am all over the road. I am switching them out for some Dunlop 908RR tires asap.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:06 AM
rovertrader
Dale

just an fyi, my old 640 was a bugger to start whenever it sat more than a week- so ride often:-)

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Funny you bring this thread back up... I just spent most of Sunday morning getting my buddies KTM 990S back on the road so we could get home. We were in far DownEast Maine when one of his coolant hoses let go. We got it fixed and he was able to ride it home with a little "in the field" engineering.

------ Follow up post added May 3rd, 2010 10:29 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
How long do those tires on the 640 last on road? Never really understood the whole 900-1200cc dualsport thing. Too much bike. I rode a 2007 XR650 bored out and completely set-up for the Baja 1000 and that was more than enough bike for me or anyone short of a professional rider...
The big bike dual sport thing is to get where you want to go and back in comfort and still have fun. They aren't small and nimble (unless you are really good) but doing 85 mph on the freeway to get to place X is nice.
Its a personal choice... I love my big comfortable bike, and I follow KLRs and all everywhere they go.

So how would that XR be on the interstate from Maine to Colorado?

It depends on what you need. I have an 800GS and it takes me everywhere I want to go and is comfortable at any speed. I also have a smaller bike for dicking around in tight stuff, but that bike sucks on the slab.

------ Follow up post added May 3rd, 2010 10:33 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Digging up an old thread, but I just got a KTM 640 Adventure this weekend. Its fun! It's like the Defender of the motorcycle world.... except it has about a 400 mile range on one tank!

Defender tank = 15 gallons
KTM 640 tank = 7 gallons
Very cool bike, but unless you have an aftermarket big tank kit hidden on there somewhere, you are going to be getting about 225-240 miles per tank out of a 640. Lots of my friends have them. Never seen one run past 250 miles.

------ Follow up post added May 3rd, 2010 10:35 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
just an fyi, my old 640 was a bugger to start whenever it sat more than a week- so ride often:-)
Thats easy to solve... never let it sit!

Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:39 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Last weekend
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2152.JPG.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	27277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2154.JPG.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	27278  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fan