Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:09 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post

The big bike dual sport thing is to get where you want to go and back in comfort and still have fun. They aren't small and nimble (unless you are really good) but doing 85 mph on the freeway to get to place X is nice.
Its a personal choice... I love my big comfortable bike, and I follow KLRs and all everywhere they go.

So how would that XR be on the interstate from Maine to Colorado?

It depends on what you need. I have an 800GS and it takes me everywhere I want to go and is comfortable at any speed. I also have a smaller bike for dicking around in tight stuff, but that bike sucks on the slab.
I guess I just didn't realize they were that comfortable. I guess I thought too much of them off the pavement then really on.

I meant having all that extra power off the pavement is kinda crazy, not to compare the XR to a dual sport. The XR is strictly for off-road or baja, it would not be as good anywhere other than that, but the redone suspension isn't all that bad. It just has so much power and if you aren't careful it will put you on your ass. I have two friends with BMW touring bikes (one of which rides the XR650 now) and I guess in my mind those seemed like the logical choice from Maine to Colorado and such. I have been enlightened
2000 DII (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
I guess I just didn't realize they were that comfortable. I guess I thought too much of them off the pavement then really on.
Its too bad there isn't really the 1 perfect bike (the dual sport bike that does it all), but as one of my friends says, "It just gives you a reason why you need more than 1 bike."

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:33 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

I have been enlightened

don't let the cat outta the bag, they'll go from obscure to RARE, and the price goes up :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:40 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

You are right Mike, really its only 250-300 mile range. Depends how the carb is tuned and running gear. I've heard some guys get 350 before but no idea how.

The 800GS is probably the best bike out there. perfectly in between too big and too small. It is more road worthy like all BMWs but can still rip it up in the woods. My buddy has the 800GS and I think I'm going to have to switch up sometimes in the woods to see how it handles.

I want to see the KTM 690 Adventure/Traveler soon
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
whitelandy33
Pecos
hyundai

Depends if you are going to ride more street or dirt. The big KTMs and BMWs...including the 800 are better suited for street. They are pigs in the mud.

I finally settled on an xchallenge. Do street or do single track. Bikes are now cheap. Accessories are pricey. 60 mpg. Several options for extra fuel tanks.

There is a 690 enduro that is suppose to be good. Buddy of mine has one. We are slated for a trip doing some single track so should be interesting.

Just remember....you can adventurize any bike.
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

MY 2006 KTM 640 Adventure was stolen this morning. Keep an eye out for my big orange bike please!
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
MY 2006 KTM 640 Adventure was stolen this morning. Keep an eye out for my big orange bike please!

ARE YOU SERIOUS? Where?
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Queens..... from the back of his truck......
Old November 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

yup. parked it inback of the Rangie last night. woke up this morning and it was gone. i am going to look at the security cameras tomorrow morning to see if they caught anything. i am seriously depressed and going to be drinking a lot for a bit.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:47 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
yup. parked it inback of the Rangie last night. woke up this morning and it was gone. i am going to look at the security cameras tomorrow morning to see if they caught anything. i am seriously depressed and going to be drinking a lot for a bit.
That sucks balls!

Be sure to post it on ADV Rider. Maybe someone will spot it.

Old November 17th, 2010, 10:42 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
That sucks balls!

Be sure to post it on ADV Rider. Maybe someone will spot it.
Yup i posted up on the northeast regional section. its a super rare and modified bike so if someone is trying to sell it i would know because of the look. but honestly it was probably ripped in half and parted out yesterday afternoon.
Old November 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Whats a 990 weigh ? Can you pick one up by yourself without pulling something ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:12 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

990s are heavy. I think 450lbs. my 640 was 350lbs dry I think. it fell over a bunch and was a bitch to lift. you can lift it up if it fell over but to actually lift it up off the ground would take one Lou Ferrigno
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:15 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
990s are heavy. I think 450lbs. my 640 was 350lbs dry I think. it fell over a bunch and was a bitch to lift. you can lift it up if it fell over but to actually lift it up off the ground would take one Lou Ferrigno

Man this really sucks.

I mis-read you and Tom originally, and thought it was laying in the back of the Rangie somehow.

So did you look at the security video this morning? Someone clipped the lock on the gate I guess?
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Damn. Sorry Daniel. I used to hope someone would steal my faboy-700lbs. Not that its any help but saw an orange KTM headed southbound on the NJTPK yesterday on a single bike trailer behind a stock looking f150. Probably of no consequence. I was headed Northbound and didn't get much of a look but you don't see them everyday and it caught my eye.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello

no word on the security camera's yet. It was out front on the street. I hear they come around in a van with pipes and slip the pipes through the wheels and lift it into the van and jet. 10 second job.
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:40 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Sorry about the bike man, had mine stolen 3 times so I feel ur pain.

ECR, you need to ride these bikes to make a final determination. I don't know if price is a factor here but so far I've seen people promote a 1200 GSA, f800, 990, 640 and I think I saw a DRZ in there. So we've covered bikes ranging from 5 grand up to 25 grand. I'm a big dual sport guy and I own a DRZ 400 and 1200 GS. If I were you, and I was going for road oriented bike with mild off road capability (and price is a consideration) I would get the f800 gs. Hands down.

Do no think for a second you are going to take a 990 or 1200 GS or GSA woods riding. It's not fun. Done it a bunch on both bikes. A good rider CAN do it (slowly) but it's difficult and the f'ups are expensive. Mud? forget it. we got a 1200 GSA stuck in mud and we needed f150 to pull it out. An f800 will be better as it weighs less and the weight is carried better. I don't have much experience with the KTM 640 but if I was more road oriented I would vote for the 800 over that one anyway.

I use my 1200 to haul my golden retriever back and forth from the country and I use it for weekend overnight dual sport rides. Twisties and dirt roads. NO trail. The bike is perfect for that. It's easy to ride, reliable, little maint., and the weight is great on the highway. However, if I didn't have a 70 pound dog on the back, i would have gone 800.

How much riding experience do you have?
Old November 17th, 2010, 04:44 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868 View Post
Sorry about the bike man, had mine stolen 3 times so I feel ur pain.

ECR, you need to ride these bikes to make a final determination. I don't know if price is a factor here but so far I've seen people promote a 1200 GSA, f800, 990, 640 and I think I saw a DRZ in there. So we've covered bikes ranging from 5 grand up to 25 grand. I'm a big dual sport guy and I own a DRZ 400 and 1200 GS. If I were you, and I was going for road oriented bike with mild off road capability (and price is a consideration) I would get the f800 gs. Hands down.

Do no think for a second you are going to take a 990 or 1200 GS or GSA woods riding. It's not fun. Done it a bunch on both bikes. A good rider CAN do it (slowly) but it's difficult and the f'ups are expensive. Mud? forget it. we got a 1200 GSA stuck in mud and we needed f150 to pull it out. An f800 will be better as it weighs less and the weight is carried better. I don't have much experience with the KTM 640 but if I was more road oriented I would vote for the 800 over that one anyway.

I use my 1200 to haul my golden retriever back and forth from the country and I use it for weekend overnight dual sport rides. Twisties and dirt roads. NO trail. The bike is perfect for that. It's easy to ride, reliable, little maint., and the weight is great on the highway. However, if I didn't have a 70 pound dog on the back, i would have gone 800.

How much riding experience do you have?
This is an old thread.
I bought a F800GS 2 seasons ago.

KTM was too much of a monster for me. Way more bike than I needed.

I've had bikes since forever. Got about 10K miles last season.

Old November 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

haha didn't check dates. Well I'm glad you took my advice two years ago
Old November 17th, 2010, 06:04 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yup, great advice.

iron butt hotel in VT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	063.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	33249  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fan