Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 25th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers
D-90 Source Vendor
Kokopelli trail - Fruita to Moab

Hey, did anyone run that trip 2 years ago? I'm trying to figure out if it's runnable in a LR the entire way. There are sections that are bike only. I thought I remembered a few of you guys doing a pre-run to the ralley where you started in Fruita and ended up in Moab. Same trail?

Michael Slade
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
1987 ROW D90
Try pm'ing Gustaf (member name: d90-110). He did the Kokopelli's when he was on the FJ Cruiser Trail Team last year.
There were rovers that were present. Might be able to give you some firsthand info

Old June 25th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner
We did that trail several years ago w/ a guy from GJ. It was a long day that ended w/ us coming into Moab down the Top of the World trail. The only real hairy part was crossing the Dolores river; it was in late April and the water was very high..........I would definitely recommend as we did not see another person the whole day.
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:14 AM
gustaf kupetz
93 D-110

Yep Gery thats me!

Very stunning trail, it takes a good amount of seat time to get through, but plan ahead, well all needed that extra 5 gallon fuel can. Also keep in mind, as Todd mentioned, about the water levels. you can easily fine out the depths by calling the DNR field office in Moab. the second crossing is tricky as one must go in, drive along the bank, cross the stream and than come out. If your a smart cookie you'll have scouted it, or have your pal sit on the roof directing you. also note you can bypass these crossings if you like?

At any rate, technically, it is a "bike trail on 4x4 roads." Really it's just a bunch of trails strung together and given a name so it seems different. 4x4 folks will recognize "Rose-garden hill" and "Top of the world" amongst others. Sorry but you will have to do a little black top time, not much though. For you see there are two sections that truly are single track. And to try and camel trophy your way through wouldn't be a good idea.

If anybody has any questions don't hesitate to PM me as (I love this) got paid (yes!) to put in lots of time and research on the Kokopelli expedition.

Best of Trails

ps It's best run from Grand Junk to Moab. and lastly by all means read up on this little deity called Kokopelli it makes for some fun fireside chats
Gustaf Kupetz
93 D110
94 D90
94 LWB
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243
Water levels are really high in the Colorado River Drainages right now. We had record snow packs. I would check water levels somehow before heading in.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
--Benjamin Franklin
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
Are you considering doing this before the rally?
Old June 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM

Jim H, Ralph B & Don P did that recently....of course my concept of "recent" probably includes tha past ten years.

Like Mike said, there was an issue with water depths.

Contact Jim (66Rover) on the Sol Soc site.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat