Kiawah Island, SC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top
Kiawah Island, SC

Anybody now anything about this place? My mother-in-law wants to take the family to this island and rent a house for a week. She is a cheap b*&^#h and wants to do it on the cheap.

I am trying to stay out of it but there appears to be an East Island and West Island. Is one end better than the other? Also she wants to go in September because it is cheaper then. If it is the slow season will anything be open?

What should we look for in the way of locations, timing etc. If I am going to have to miss part of the hunting season I don't want to be in a house next to the water treatment plant just cause it is $500 less.

Old November 29th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
I have never been, however I only hear good stuff about the place. Several of my friends go every year!

Old November 29th, 2011, 03:32 PM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
It's cheaper in September because you risk Neptune unleashing a hurricane on your family! Have a Plan B and trip insurance if you go!
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

I have been to Kiawah several times. Kiawah Marathon is held there every December. I do not golf so for me it is forced relaxation. Absolutley nothing to do on the island other than golf. We walk, run or bike around the island checking out all the big houses. Other than that, hang out on the beach. We have always stayed in a townhouse. During the marathon it is a mad house of runners. Other times it is just really low key and relaxing. Charleston is only about a 30 minute drive. Lots to do there to break up the island visit. I recommend it.

Troy J. Smith
Old November 29th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST
We stayed at the Sanctuary Hotel with the kids in June of '10. The main thing I remember was that it was HOT - but the whole east coast had a heat wave then. Lots of fun especially if you enjoy the beach and golf. We took a boat tour one day and a kayak trip. There might be some good fishing there maybe check into a guide so you aren't jonesing from the missing the hunting season.

The beach is very cool - very long and wide. My oldest actually rode waves on a surfboard for the first time. And we had a fun time riding beach cruisers on the beach and along the bike paths. Overall a very nice place - like Troy said - forced relaxation (depending on the kid count and age :D ) Also watch for the weather like Mark said.

Not sure how cheap it is though. The house rental might not be bad but things like lunch and dinner out very well could be. But we did have some nice lunch and dinners at the Sanctuary. There was a grocery store as you enter the island so if you want to cook that would be an option.
Old November 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor
I haven't been but used to work with a guy who owned a house there...from what I heard from him (and others have said) there isn't much to do outside of the beach and golf and it is definitely not the place to go if you are looking on the cheap
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:30 PM
1988 90
My family has a couple houses in Topsail Island, Labor day weekend is the end of the peak season, and prices drop after that. We personally make the family trip to the house in the fall as its usually the best time of year to go in our oppinion (water is still warm, yet the sun isn't super hot).

I'm not sure what your looking for in a vacation, but if your open to different places Topsail is a great place for a relaxing vaca, wide open beaches, plenty of space, and houses with private walks to the beach (30' away).

PM me if you want more info on my houses down there....They sleep 14 and 16 people. We could deff work something out.
1967 Series IIa 109 5 Door - Work in progress
'98 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series
Old November 29th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158
I grew up there as my folks have had property since the late 70s. I highly recommend. Very quiet and relaxed yet 20 miles from historic Charleston. High end dining, golfing, etc. And absolutely beautiful! Low country at it's best. Have a great house on the market on the island right now as well if anyone interested. Rover discount applies.

"I race cars, play tennis, and fondle women, BUT! I have weekends off, and I am my own boss." - Arthur

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat