Just when I thought I only wanted a ZF - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 12th, 2016, 08:31 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Just when I thought I only wanted a ZF

A friend called Saturday to let me know of a '96 DI that had just arrived in a local pick-n-pull. The vehicle was really clean but the exhaust showed heavy soot. It was never modified, had minimal rust probably due in part to the heavy undercoating and showed no signs of abuse at all. There was a crap load of receipts for service over it's 165k miles. I guess the last service recommendation of $1600 was enough to put the owner off. It was also a manual gearbox which was the first I'd seen of many junkyard DI's. The yard closed in 1.5 hours and I had my birthday party to attend in the same time frame. Yesterday in a balmy 35 degrees I was at the gate with tools (manual only) in hand to pull a short shifter 'J' R380. Laying on a cold gravel lot with only a drop cloth sucked but I pushed on. Luckily, not one bolt or nut gave me issue save for the muffler flange which succumbed to the sawzall easily. I dropped the trans at the rear and pulled the LT230 for easier access to the bellhousing bolts. After some hours I had the R280 on the ground. The output of the mainshaft looked like new as did the input shaft (with very little play too). Next was the pedal assembly and clutch piping which came out with little effort. I went back under the truck for the flywheel which also went smoothly. By the 6 hour mark I looked like a chimney sweep and was exhausted. I carted the R380, LT230 input gear, flywheel, both drive shafts, cross member, steering sector shaft, pedal assembly, R380 coolant lines, clutch piping/mc and the center console up to the counter. The young lady wrote the ticket up. Transmission - $199, console - $30, core charge - $30, enviro fee - $12, taxes - $6 for a grand total of $278. I only wish I'd reattached the LT230 as it would have gone with the R380 at the same price I'm sure. Maybe I'll go back and try to get it for a song. Not a bad haul but my body hurt in places I didn't know existed. I'm thinking this will go into the '90 RRC behind a 4.0 block I'm building up. If not, it will be fitted with a spare Defender shifter assembly and go into my '84 110 behind a '96 GM LT1 V8. Decisions, decisions...

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2016, 08:36 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Great score- sad cheap and easy seldom go together....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Didn't you retire Jan 1 ? This is how you are spending your retirement ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2016, 11:01 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Still trugging at the office but my heart isn't here. It makes sense to stick around to make a few more retirement dollars. I don't see it happening though. The new tentative date is March 1st. I can leave comfortably on the pension and the future wife makes a modest income. I might go contract if I get bored at home. There's plenty to do in the garage though! I've also got a couple of options opening for LR owners. One is indexing swivel balls (just finished fabricating the jig and need to test it out) and the other gets rid of that damn stupid washer used to lock down the spindle nuts. Look for both in the very near future like just a few days away.

'71 IIA 88" LS1 hybrid
'84 110 5 door 'Nigerian Princess'
'90 RRC
'97 D1 LSE (parting out)
'02 D2 Kalahari
'02 D2 SE
'02 D2 SE
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:16 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Cool write up by someone who looked like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins when it was said and done.
Wish I had been there to help.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 14th, 2016, 09:45 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
well done. inspiring. makes me want to go out to my local yard and see what's hanging around there.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ht, wanted