Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Why?
We don't need anyone to make stuff for us, we make it ourselves. Bumpers, racks, sliders, 3 links, radius arms, etc etc.

Not saying Rockware isn't a good bumper, it is, but we don't need anyone to make stuff.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
I always wondered why ECR didn't deal with Rockware. Everyone seems to agree that the Rockware is a better product, and I always thought the Rockware looked better
My customers don't like the looks.
We offer them all the options... they pick. They usually pick an ARB or the ROX (ex-SG) front bumper.

Rockware is tough and a good choice, but I don't like the look myself. Just my opinion. For my own truck I plan a SG/ROX look bumper with the rugged nature of the Rockware.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2008, 10:45 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Do you guys sell your ROX bumpers? I mean, obviously you probably wouldn't go through the hassle of shipping one, but if I wanted one, could you make it and I pick it up?
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:49 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Matt/Rockware has always been a very reliable vendor. And has been around quite a while now. I've been pleased with all my transactions with him.

But in the end, its the customers choice on style.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 20th, 2008, 10:55 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

We are looking into that, but I don't have much desire to get into a pissing match over what bumper is better and what one costs what. I'm not sure we are going to get into it.
My customers wanted the bumpers and SG couldn't get them to us, so now we make them for customers trucks.
The new shop has sped up vehicle turn around time so much we are finidng a lot of suppliers can't keep up, but although we now make a lot of products on our own for in house work, I don't know if we will take that next step towards mail order.
I kinda have my hands full as it is.

Old March 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Completely understandable. Just curious if it was a possibility since you're not too bad of a drive. I know your stance on mail order and don't blame you one bit. I'm looking at bumper options and like the look of the safari guard so thought I'd give it a shot!

Thanks for the response.
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:03 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Matt/Rockware has always been a very reliable vendor. And has been around quite a while now. I've been pleased with all my transactions with him.

But in the end, its the customers choice on style.

Its just about what customers want. I'm sure Matt is a great guy, I've just never had a customer say they wanted one of his bumpers, thats all. If they do, we'll order one up from him.

Not a lot of my customers are hard core off roaders.

On the flip side of that if you start ordering bumpers 5 at a time like we do, it tends to put a little more stress on the supplier.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Completely understandable. Just curious if it was a possibility since you're not too bad of a drive. I know your stance on mail order and don't blame you one bit. I'm looking at bumper options and like the look of the safari guard so thought I'd give it a shot!

Thanks for the response.

Email me and we'll see if we can work something out. I have them on hand.

Old March 20th, 2008, 11:42 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Mike, does that mean you also make a ROX (ex-SG) tire carrier???
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:11 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
They are in Califonia. Be cheaper to fly to them right now.
well I figured since im out with why not. I plan on hitting California sometime during my 2 weeks off.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I thought you were sourcing those bumpers from SG I didnt realize you were building your own. The only way to get any ECR goodness is to send your truck in.

Mike do you think you will be in the Defender restoration service for years to come?
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Ade:
We could build one, but I never was a big fan of the design. Kinda hard to open the tailgate. Probably won't get into building those, we rarely sold them.

rover4x4:
Correct, we don't do much mail order. At this time the fun we have is working on and restoring trucks. No one here has any interest in packing boxes and the other stuff associated with mail order. Mail order is something that may come along in the future, but it would mean more employees, etc. and right now I don't think we are going there. We have a lot of customers that are patiently waiting for their rigs to be restored, and that is what we are concentrating on and that is why we took on the new building and more staff. IMO there are plenty of mail order companies, the USA doesn't need another IMO.

As for the future... yes, we plan to be here long term. We better be... I have a huge mortgage!!!

Old March 24th, 2008, 04:19 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

I talked to Mary today, it sounds like the web site is not directly related to them (maybe whoever hosts their site). She said their site will be back up soon, their email is also down while their site is down...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
RoverTym...
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:50 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleRedD90
I talked to Mary today, it sounds like the web site is not directly related to them (maybe whoever hosts their site). She said their site will be back up soon, their email is also down while their site is down...
If you have a web site and your selling stuff, but can't deliver thatís plain and simple fraud!

I wonder how much money these clowns have fraudulently collected over the past year or so when their web site was up and they never shipped a thing.

Yes I believe in Karma. Greg will have it coming to him sooner or later.

Iím into these Jack A$$s for two Disco II diff guards about $200. Yes I was warned. I called first. Mary said they were in stock. She took my credit card number. 1700 phone calls later, she offered to credit my card back. That Never Happened. Now I'm HOSED

I may be a slow learner but i did replace my oil cooler lines
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen
If you have a web site and your selling stuff, but can't deliver thatís plain and simple fraud!

I wonder how much money these clowns have fraudulently collected over the past year or so when their web site was up and they never shipped a thing.

Iím into these Jack A$$s for two Disco II diff guards about $200. Yes I was warned. I called first. Mary said they were in stock. She took my credit card number. 1700 phone calls later, she offered to credit my card back. That Never Happened. Now I'm HOSED

It's understandable...getting taken, Mary sounds so nice and sweet over the phone. I almost pulled the trigger a few times.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:05 PM
NashvilleRedD90
Will Peters
'97 NAS D90 ST #1704 -4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen

What happened to the guy on here that said he had filed a lawsuit against them and was trying to get others involved?

Anyways, when they did deliver taking 6-9 months for a bumper is just stupid. Rovertym pumps out bumpers every week... I would never buy anything from them again unless I lived in socal so I could deal with everything in person.
Also SG was/is way over priced.

Its too bad though, they had/have a lot of really nice products.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Someone needs to highjack Gregs personal CC # and give it to Mary for payment!

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old March 25th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have had fairly poor customer service, but I don't think their stuff is overpriced. I think they delivered very high quality and well thought out designs and I know they went through a lot of R&D to get there. Kudos to them for that. If you have had a bad experience buying from them, like I did, just don't go back. Certainly don't wish bad on someone else, just don't patronize them.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

After over a year of excuses I gave up on Mary and turned her into 'the boss'. I don't know what my wife said, but three days later I had a certified check delivered via FEDEX. This was for a set of corner protectors.

Mike - you may want to try the same tactic. Get a couple drinks in Connie and let her rip. Certainly can't hurt.

Mark
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:17 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
Their website is back up.
Old March 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

Rock Ware's stuff SUCKS!!! Their rear tire carrier/bumper is the worst money I have ever spent on my defender. The welds are shitty, the thing rattled so bad I had to take it a fab shop to fix it, the antenna bracket had to be cut off b/c they put it on backwards and it hit the lamp protectors, and the recovery points weren't welded on straight. All that and I still had to wait over 6 months to get the damn thing.

Once again Rock Ware SUCKS!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat