Just bought the new Porsche 991 - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Of the many flat sixes I've owned, beleive it or not, the 993 targa was the one I wish I held onto the most. Sold it in '06 to fund some other stuff. At the time it had 16,000 miles. It wasn't as fun to drive as some of the others (in terms of raw performance), but it was the most original and was probably a concours candidate. (BTW-the '73 911S w/steel RS body kit was probably the most fun to drive).

That Spyder clone earlier in this thread is a reallty tight built! nice quality. 10X better than Beck from what I saw in the photos. Congrats!, that's a nice car you can enjoy.

I'll see if I can grab some photos of my freind's '71 908 (Gulf livery) with Spa/Ring history as well as his '56 Spyder comp car. Both are tucked away deep in the woods in a race shop in MA, so unfortunately I don't get to drool over them very often.

Sorry to hijack Neil, but once you start talking about Porsches the conversation usuall takes on a life of its own and hopefully heads in the direction of the history and vintage examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2087.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	47982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2084.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	47983  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:52 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

It's cool. thanks for the compliments. Just finished the 35% window tint all the way around. Next comes HRE wheels in matte black then factory Porsche sports exhaust for more hp and resonance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0549.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	47994  

Robert Deniro
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
What about the factory closet pole so you can hang your shirts up in the back instead of on the side of the D90?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Josh, don't you have to be gay somewhere else right now?

Robert Deniro
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

He has a point. What is the deal with all your Ed hardy shirts drying on the truck?

When are we doing a happy hour?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:43 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
He has a point. What is the deal with all your Ed hardy shirts drying on the truck?

When are we doing a happy hour?
Ed hardy? Sounds more like Josh's closet, Ed hardy cap, pink polo shirt from the Jacklyn smith collection and wrangler mom jeans. Happy Hour, thats what I've been wondering. Lets do Alpine Village, lots of German brauts and swag to give you internment flashbacks.

Robert Deniro
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Josh wearing Ed Hardy? I thought he repped Vineyard Vines? He might even have a blue blazer with his family crest for trips up to Nan.

(jk - Josh - I think I have a pair of nantucket reds, rep tie, Brooks Bros oxford in blue, and LL Bean mocs in the closet myself. The only thing I'm missing is the nautical flag belt)
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
I know your in Socal but check these guys out... http://www.sharkwerks.com/main.php. They have always had great service and support.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Sad thing is I actually do have a blue blazer or 2 with my high school's crest on them still
Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
why wouldnt you!!
i am on the VV ban wagon too. =)
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Ed hardy? Sounds more like Josh's closet, Ed hardy cap, pink polo shirt from the Jacklyn smith collection and wrangler mom jeans. Happy Hour, thats what I've been wondering. Lets do Alpine Village, lots of German brauts and swag to give you internment flashbacks.
Check out the pics of your green 90 in the sightings thread to understand what we are talking about.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
It's cool. thanks for the compliments. Just finished the 35% window tint all the way around. Next comes HRE wheels in matte black then factory Porsche sports exhaust for more hp and resonance.

As far as I can tell the factory PSE (if that is what you are adding) won't add any horses, it never has in the previous generations. It’s gonna be a little bit before any good performance stuff comes out. The PSE is cool though.

I’d get an ecu flash from Evolution Motorsports (if it’s out yet), Sharkwerks x-pipe (if it’s out yet), IPD Plenum (if it’s out yet).

There might be an exhaust out, but it’s so new that I doubt it. If I see something out there I’ll let you know.

97 D90 SW
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks, actually the exhaust I have now has the sport mode diverter which makes it a little bit louder when you hit the button. (Well all kinds of things happen when you hit the button) I saw one company in Germany is making an aftermarket exhaust but I would like to stick with the factory sports exhaust upgrade. It's about 3k they said, plus installation, but at least it won't void the warranty. They told me (dealer) its definately louder with a tiny bit of power added. But its factory approved.

Robert Deniro
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Aftermarket exhaust will not void your warranty. Magnusson-Moss Act
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats right, put a straight pipe on it.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:44 AM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
The Magnusson-Moss Act helps, but it isnt a complete safety net.

The Act mandates that auto manufacturers cannot refuse to honor the warranty just because you have installed performance parts. However, if they can prove that the part itself contributed to the problem (exhaust - emissions/performance issues, etc) , or if your warranty expressly prohibits performance upgrades (which some do), then they can refuse to honor the warranty. You still have to read your warranty before installing any aftermarket parts

But, as Neil said, the dealer specifically said it did not void the warranty- so it would be fine

Either way, thats one hell of a nice car!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Aftermarket exhaust will not void your warranty. Magnusson-Moss Act
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:45 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
The Magnusson-Moss Act helps, but it isnt a complete safety net.

The Act mandates that auto manufacturers cannot refuse to honor the warranty just because you have installed performance parts. However, if they can prove that the part itself contributed to the problem (exhaust - emissions/performance issues, etc) , or if your warranty expressly prohibits performance upgrades (which some do), then they can refuse to honor the warranty. You still have to read your warranty before installing any aftermarket parts

But, as Neil said, the dealer specifically said it did not void the warranty- so it would be fine

Either way, thats one hell of a nice car!!!
Correct.

Some dealers are cool with aftermarket shit others are not. My last P-Car had software,exhaust/headers,coils etc and never had any issues with getting items covered...
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:16 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Correct.

Some dealers are cool with aftermarket shit others are not. My last P-Car had software,exhaust/headers,coils etc and never had any issues with getting items covered...
Thought most dealers look the other way when it comes to performance externally bolted-on parts, because when it comes to warranty work, the car's manufacture reimburses the dealer and the dealer 1) needs the work and 2) wants a happy (repeat) customer. However, with the black box Nissan installed on the GT-R, warranty is voided if run on the track or dyno (except for emmissions "testing" purposes, wink, wink) , if Vehicle Dynamic Control is deactivated, (to activate the launch control), if it detects ANY that is not O.E.M., etc.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
KKilo23
Kenny

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
Thought most dealers look the other way when it comes to performance externally bolted-on parts, because when it comes to warranty work, the car's manufacture reimburses the dealer and the dealer 1) needs the work and 2) wants a happy (repeat) customer. However, with the black box Nissan installed on the GT-R, warranty is voided if run on the track or dyno (except for emmissions "testing" purposes, wink, wink) , if Vehicle Dynamic Control is deactivated, (to activate the launch control), if it detects ANY that is not O.E.M., etc.
GT-R is a sweet car..but too much Big Brother there for me.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Ok, I just put $2k deposit down for the new HRE P40SC Conical 20 inch 8.5" front / 11" in the back in matte black. This design is new and just came out last week! They even did a photoshoot of these rims on a new white 991 still with its sticker still on from Pacific Porsche off PCH. Total for these rims is $6100. Check em out, whachoo you guys think? On mine it will contrast nicely with the 35% window tint. They told me from today, it will take 3 weeks to mill out from a solid chunk of aircraft grade aluminum and each rim will weigh less than 22lbs. Also he said my offset will be very close to the fenders, unlike the one on these photos which was due to it being a rush job on the photoshoot so they rushed production. He said I will be the first person to have these rims and first person on a 991 since this white 991 is a dealership owned one and they gave the rims back after the shoot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6888486437_70a66b3fcf_b.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	48173   Click image for larger version

Name:	6888486665_86cfd0419b_b.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	48174  

Name:	991 Carrera S White 20 HRE P40SC Satin Black.jpg